White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 08:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Farmio's Big Garage Door

From the 8th Inning of yesterday's broadcast:

"When I was proudly growing up on Chicago's Southside and not Evergreen Park which is what it is now, or was when I was a kid but isn't anymore because it has either been changed to Evergreen Park or from Evergreen Park into or out of the City of Chicago we had a big garage door which needed two openers, not openers in the sense of the first game of a season, although come to think of it every team has two openers - one at home and one on the road - although if your first game is a home opener I'm not sure you have a road opener especially if the home team for your road opener has already had a home opener which wouldn't be your home opener because that home team would have been the visiting team at your home opener if your home opener was their road opener for their opener unless of course they were at some other team's home opener but not their own.

Anyway, with all the noise we used to make in Evergreen Chicago Park, which is what they call it now, back then it was just Evergreen Park or Chicago, could be either but not both, I'm surprised the neighbors to the north and south of us didn't call the police everday......I wonder why that was DJ."

"Maybe they didn't know if they should call the Chicago Police or the Evergreen Park Police.....................I truly have no idea what you're talking about."
Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post

"When I was proudly growing up on Chicago's Southside and not Evergreen Park which is what it is now, or was when I was a kid but isn't anymore because it has either been changed to Evergreen Park or from Evergreen Park into or out of the City of Chicago we had a big garage door which needed two openers, not openers in the sense of the first game of a season, although come to think of it every team has two openers - one at home and one on the road - although if your first game is a home opener I'm not sure you have a road opener especially if the home team for your road opener has already had a home opener which wouldn't be your home opener because that home team would have been the visiting team at your home opener if your home opener was their road opener for their opener unless of course they were at some other team's home opener but not their own.

Anyway, with all the noise we used to make in Evergreen Chicago Park, which is what they call it now, back then it was just Evergreen Park or Chicago, could be either but not both, I'm surprised the neighbors to the north and south of us didn't call the police everday......I wonder why that was DJ."

"Maybe they didn't know if they should call the Chicago Police or the Evergreen Park Police.....................I truly have no idea what you're talking about."
Haha, awesome! Classic Xerxes and Farmio
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 AM
WSI Regular

It isn't easy to talk for 3+ hours nearly everyday for six months. It's inevitable that something stupid will come out of their mouths.

The only thing that really bugs me about Farmer is the constant references to Notre Dame.

From a baseball perspective this team is interesting and provides a lot of insight into the nuances of the game. Few other broadcasting teams provide as much detail into pitch selection, etc. This might not be good for the casual fan but for avid baseball fans it's a good broadcast.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

But they broadcast to the average fan - That's the problem.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
But they broadcast to the average fan - That's the problem.
I highly doubt the average fan was even paying attention to the game at all, let alone in the 8th inning of a 5-2 (at the time) game. I'd honestly rather hear about a garage door anyway then have another Adam Dunn strikeout described to me in detail.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Oh, yea i remember that yesterday, and all that stuff about the kids and the bikes,hahaha .. ah,makes me smile (and that's hard today)just thinking about the stuff that you used to post years ago on here .. thanks for that ..
Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinsocal View Post
It isn't easy to talk for 3+ hours nearly everyday for six months. It's inevitable that something stupid will come out of their mouths.

The only thing that really bugs me about Farmer is the constant references to Notre Dame.

From a baseball perspective this team is interesting and provides a lot of insight into the nuances of the game. Few other broadcasting teams provide as much detail into pitch selection, etc. This might not be good for the casual fan but for avid baseball fans it's a good broadcast.
MOST of what they say is stupid- it's the true/interesting insight or "painted a picture" description that is the rarity with those 2- by far the worst radio team for baseball I've ever listened to- from any MLB team in any era that I've been a fan.

Not just bad or boring- but truly annoying.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 10-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
MOST of what they say is stupid- it's the true/interesting insight or "painted a picture" description that is the rarity with those 2- by far the worst radio team for baseball I've ever listened to- from any MLB team in any era that I've been a fan.

Not just bad or boring- but truly annoying.
Worse than Sterling and Waldman? Wow.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Worse than Sterling and Waldman? Wow.
It's pretty close.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

The King picking on Farmio again. He is what he is, and what he isn't is a PBP guy. He worked well with Rooney I thought. Rooney's a pro and took the lead, so not so much with the Notre Dame stories and garage doors. Lastly of course, the King has not lost his touch.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
The King picking on Farmio again. He is what he is, and what he isn't is a PBP guy.

You are correct.My issue is not with his analyst skills.
Just my .002,but the Sox need a PBP guy that can play off Farmer well enough to keep the listeners interested and awake.IMO,
Darrin Jackson is NOT that guy.Wish Rooney had stayed,but,as a baseball GM once remarked, "It is what it is."