White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Please. Find me another team in baseball that has two 23-year-old starters on its roster that combined to throw 328.1 IP this year with an combined 3.34 ERA.

I know, I know, KW should have bluechip prospects at all 25 roster spots, otherwise he's a ****ing failure, but it seems like that's a distinction many teams will be hard pressed to meet.
At 23, I think it is fair to assume they also ran out of gas as the year went on. But just like the huge drop-off so many of the veterans had during the second half, so did Sale/Quintana. Their combined ERA was 4.50 after the All Star game. Also both gave up a lot of home runs 2nd half. Still, they are a nice combo to start rebuilding and certainly Sale has the potential to be this team's number 1 starter for years to come.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Lots of good points raised in this threads -- and lots of crazy ideas. I think one point that hasn't been raised is that in some ways, the 2012 Sox were victimized by their early success. Had the Sox performed to most people's (including mine) low pre-season expectations, you may have seen players like A.J., Peavy, Thornton & Crain moved before the July 31 trade deadline in exchange for prospects and the major roster overhaul many are advocating would have been underway.

I'm glad this didn't happen. Until the last two weeks, this was a thoroughly enjoyable season. However, the Sox relative success up to mid-September may have a negative impact on 2013.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:15 AM
WSI Personality

Default Old Faces

I would not be surprised to see both Mark Buehrle and Bobby Jenks back on the White Sox in 2013. I'm under the impression Buehrle will definitely be moved from the Marlins. Now that Peavy won't be on the team the White Sox will probably use that money to bring back Buehrle. Jenks is a free agent and if he's healthy enough to pitch it wouldn't shock me to see him back with the White Sox. If Jenks is on the team Nate Jones could be moved into the starting rotation.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I would not be surprised to see both Mark Buehrle and Bobby Jenks back on the White Sox in 2013. I'm under the impression Buehrle will definitely be moved from the Marlins. Now that Peavy won't be on the team the White Sox will probably use that money to bring back Buehrle. Jenks is a free agent and if he's healthy enough to pitch it wouldn't shock me to see him back with the White Sox. If Jenks is on the team Nate Jones could be moved into the starting rotation.
As long as we're putting the band back together, any chance we get Carl Everett and Pablo Ozuna to shore up the bench for next year?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I would be willing to bet just about anything that none of that happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
As long as we're putting the band back together, any chance we get Carl Everett and Pablo Ozuna to shore up the bench for next year?
Maybe we can get Ozzie back, too? Not all that convinced he's going to be employed by this time next week.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Aaron Rowand!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Aaron Rowand!
I don't know if teal is really necessary on that one as I'm convinced he might be a front-runner to replace Stone.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Wait, wait, wait... There's no way anyone can actually believe the Marlins would have traded Cabrera to the Sox over the Tigers, right? Detroit gave up 2 Baseball America Top 10 prospects in Maybin and Miller (not just Tigers' Top 10... All of baseball Top 10) for Cabrera in addition to eating Dontrelle's contract. If the Sox had ever been rumored to be real players in those trade talks, it was obviously just a ruse by Florida to earn more leverage over the Tigers and force them to give up their two most coveted prospects and eat $40 M of Willis over 3 seasons. Should be clear by now that whatever offer the Sox may have had was never seriously considered.
Yes and no. The Marlins wanted to unload Willis' contract, but the Tigers did their drunken sailor routine and signed him to a 3 year/$29 million extension after trading for him.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Better pick up Dustin Hermanson, too.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Icon10

Quote:

"We also need jobs!"
Old 10-02-2012, 09:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Icon10

"Fung is winning,and winning is fung."
Old 10-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
At 23, I think it is fair to assume they also ran out of gas as the year went on. But just like the huge drop-off so many of the veterans had during the second half, so did Sale/Quintana. Their combined ERA was 4.50 after the All Star game. Also both gave up a lot of home runs 2nd half. Still, they are a nice combo to start rebuilding and certainly Sale has the potential to be this team's number 1 starter for years to come.
The ending season stretch was brutal for everyone. With banged up veterans and kids ending their first or second season. One day off in the last 6 weeks hurt this team bad and having to play a night game in KC and fly to LA that same night to play the next evening toward the end of it didn't help.

Sox went into a funk at the wrong time of the year that's why they are going to be watching from home, but the schedule did them no favors at all this year.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Can't wait to see 10,000 people at the Cell a night
Not much off from the 18,000 we'll get with a decent team.

Also, let's not forger the small impact the red line construction will have on early-season attendance.

Might have some sub-10k crowds.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
In addition, missing from all this stunning analysis about the Sox drawing power woes is the fact the economy is in the worst 6 year run since the 1930's.
That affects every team.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Not much off from the 18,000 we'll get with a decent team.

Also, let's not forger the small impact the red line construction will have on early-season attendance.

Might have some sub-10k crowds.
640K fans over the course of a season isn't that much? Isn't that ~$24M gross revenue before counting parking?

Remind me not to let you anywhere any business I ever own...