White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Default Konerko to have wrist surgery

Heard it on The Score this morning. He will do it "as soon as possible."

So, the truth has come out. His wrist was never right after the "cleaning" it had earlier this season. We suspected this given the fall-off in his performance.

All hail The Rick
Old 10-01-2012, 03:35 PM
WSI High Priest

May as well bench him now, or at least after today.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform ó and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 10-01-2012, 03:50 PM
WSI Guru

To his credit he never used it as an excuse and honestly who knows how much it was a factor? Only PK I'm sure.

Lip
Old 10-01-2012, 04:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
To his credit he never used it as an excuse and honestly who knows how much it was a factor? Only PK I'm sure.

Lip
His OPS dropped about 200 points after April/May (surgery timing)-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 10-01-2012, 06:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm not a doctor or a psychic but IMO Paul was playing hurt for a long time. He just couldn't drive the ball like he would have been able if healthy.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Lip
This is a testament to Konerko's professionalism. He didn't pull a JD Drew and sit out half the season. The guy felt he could play through it and gave it his best shot.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:00 PM
WSI High Priest

What was his VORP when he was a singles hitter in the cleanup spot? Gutting it out in this case = hurting the team. But he didn't bat himself 4th or put his name on the lineup card every day, did he?
I'm telling you why,
Santa Claus is dead.
---Smothers Brothers
Aw, Merry Christmas anyway.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
What was his VORP when he was a singles hitter in the cleanup spot? Gutting it out in this case = hurting the team. But he didn't bat himself 4th or put his name on the lineup card every day, did he?

Ventura ****ed this thing up so badly.

There was not reason for him to ride Dunn/Konerko 3 and 4 from start to finish if things werer broke.

Think of how many more games possibly they could have won had AJ hit 3rd and Rios 4th the entire 2nd half.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post

There was not reason for him to ride Dunn/Konerko 3 and 4 from start to finish if things werer broke.

Think of how many more games possibly they could have won had AJ hit 3rd and Rios 4th the entire 2nd half.
They possibly could have won the same, maybe even less. Seeing as how there is no replacement for Konerko I don't see how dropping him in the order would have really helped. He would be producing the same no matter where he was in the lineup. There's also no guarantee that moving AJ and Rios up would produce different/better results. But I guess it's going to be 'Blame Ventura' now for the woes of this team.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
They possibly could have won the same, maybe even less. Seeing as how there is no replacement for Konerko I don't see how dropping him in the order would have really helped. He would be producing the same no matter where he was in the lineup. There's also no guarantee that moving AJ and Rios up would produce different/better results. But I guess it's going to be 'Blame Ventura' now for the woes of this team.
Yeah, I can't blame Ventura for going with his main guys. He has no bench. This team just wasn't good enough or deep enough in the end.

Unless Rios would have been allowed to bat nine consecutive times, it would have been hard to construct a good lineup lately.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 PM
WSI Guru

JB:

I don't necessarily disagree with you but Dunn was hitting .200 killing opportunities and potential rallies. I don't see what was wrong with A.J. or Rios up there with a better average, getting maybe one more at bat a game, turning the lineup over etc.

It's all speculation now and maybe Robin learned something from it.

Lip
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post

Fire Ventura!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:26 PM
WSI Personality

I had wrist surgery two months ago (had to have a screw put in to repair a fractured scaphoid that never healed), and it wasn't fun. I hope for a swift recovery for PK.

I guess we now have an explanation for the drop-off in his production.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post

Yes, if they were going to suck they were going to suck at any part of the order.

But I would rather the other two guys have gotten perhaps an extra AB every other night than the other two.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Paulie also missed time with a bad back this year too. Konerko is getting up there in age now and I'm beginning to wonder if his body can handle the daily grind as a position starter. I wonder if the Sox would consider moving Paulie into the full time DH role next season? Dunn was competent at 1B this year and a DH switch could theoretically keep Paulie healthier and more offensively productive.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin