White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What Stage Are You In Today?
Denial 12 6.52%
Anger 19 10.33%
Bargaining 12 6.52%
Depression 31 16.85%
Acceptance 110 59.78%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2012, 04:41 PM
WSI Guru

5187:

Very well said. It's always easy to blame the fan base but the fact remains the White Sox are still the ONLY original major league franchise to have never made the postseason in consecutive seasons and MLB has had expanded playoffs since 1969.

Never...not in over 100 years.

I understand why fans are skeptical when a particular team comes out of nowhere for a season (or less than a season as has usually been the case since 2003.)

Again it's about ticket prices, it's about the economy, it's about on-field performance, it's about recent history on the field, it's about advertising and marketing, it's about walk-up sales, and yes to a small extent it's even about the fan base.

There's no one single factor. That shouldn't be hard to understand.

Trying to place blame or zero in on "the reason" is foolish and counter productive. It's a combination of things...some outside of the Sox control, some in their control and some because they have shot themselves in the foot on more than one occasion.

Lip
Old 10-01-2012, 10:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm calm now, Hubble.

Thank God these two weeks are over.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

I kind of went through all of these phases on Saturday during the game. Anger didn't last that long and it's hard to be that upset. I think this team just hit the wall. The final 6 weeks of the season were brutal with one day where they didn't have to come to the park. When you are on a roll, young and driving that's okay, when you are scuffling, old and banged up it's a lot harder on your mental energy.

Grind is over now. Too bad they couldn't have had some of these timely hits over the last few weeks. It wouldn't have taken that much to be still in this fight.

Ah well...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Angry. Now the Sox want to score 11 runs. Where was this last week?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:20 AM
WSI Personality

I'm still angry, you don't give up the division lead in the second to last week of the season when you lead it for 4 months. I'm not going to be over this until they say "Play ball!" next April.

"I give you five minutes when we get there. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything a minute on either side of that and you're on your own. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive."
Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Maybe MLB will allow us to retro some of the 11 runs we scored last night to last week....

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 10-02-2012, 09:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
Maybe MLB will allow us to retro some of the 11 runs we scored last night to last week....
I like that plan, Bill.

Seriously, as the Sox faced elimination last night, it finally hit me. Yes, after spending much time in denial, I finally had no choice but to accept the reality of the situation. This morning, I kept thinking: I've been here before; I've felt this pain and disappointment before. Yes, losing sucks and it will take me some time to get over the heartbreaking way that the 2012 Sox season ended. I kept rooting and hoping things would turn out differently for our Sox but they did not. All the bargaining in the world did not help; the Sox play over the last two weeks was beyond awful.

Having said all that, this 2012 Sox season was not a complete and total waste for me. Much to the contrary, actually, I had a wonderful summer and enjoyed watching White Sox baseball. And it was great to have Robin back in a Sox uniform. Thanks to WSI, I met some terrific Sox fans this year; we attended games together and had fun. I watched games with my dad, who is a huge Sox fan, and we even spent some time in a game thread together (something he was curious about). I had meaningful conversation about the Sox here on WSI and elsewhere.

Of course, I wish the outcome had been different and the Sox had made it to the playoffs, but I am one that enjoys the journey. It was a fun season minus the ending. I'll be keeping a close eye on the Sox and their dealings over the long winter that lies ahead and I'll be counting down the days until the Sox Opening Day in April 2013.
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
5187:

Very well said. It's always easy to blame the fan base but the fact remains the White Sox are still the ONLY original major league franchise to have never made the postseason in consecutive seasons and MLB has had expanded playoffs since 1969.

Never...not in over 100 years.

I understand why fans are skeptical when a particular team comes out of nowhere for a season (or less than a season as has usually been the case since 2003.)

Again it's about ticket prices, it's about the economy, it's about on-field performance, it's about recent history on the field, it's about advertising and marketing, it's about walk-up sales, and yes to a small extent it's even about the fan base.

There's no one single factor. That shouldn't be hard to understand.

Trying to place blame or zero in on "the reason" is foolish and counter productive. It's a combination of things...some outside of the Sox control, some in their control and some because they have shot themselves in the foot on more than one occasion.

Lip
Is there any doubt if they had expanded playoff in the 50's and 60's the Sox would have made it about 8 , 9 times and won a series? Just thinking out loud. The Yankees were a huge roadblock for them more than anybody. But that is an interesting tidbit about never making the playoffs back to back, I will probably use that one trow . They have been, at least in most of Reinsdorf's reign, consistently mediocre, which I suppose is better than consistently awful but still frustrating.

Last edited by mahagga73; 10-02-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

After 1990 I was ticked at the system. We won 94 games and didn't make the playoffs and we went 8-5 against big bad Oakland.

In 1994, that was more shock like I can't believe the players union is actually striking in August. I wished they locked them out rather than play and see the team quit playing.

This year, expectations were so low, the team never pulled away and I hate to point fingers at 1 guy but when we needed Peavy late in the year to dominate for whatever reason, it usually resulted in a loss.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 AM
WSI Prelate

I'm taking these steps in the wrong order.
Two days I ago I was at acceptance.
Now I'm pissed.