White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 03:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Pirates: 20 straight years of losing seasons

Clinched it with loss 82 last night:

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=320930123

Sad, considering how well they were doing early in the season.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

They're pretty good in MLB 12: The Show, though. I play with them quite often online.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:25 PM
WSI Personality

I don't know what to think of them anymore. They started out pretty strong last year too. It's kinda scary for Pittsburgh fans with the ownership they have. I don't know McCutchens contract but I seriously doubt he stays in Pittsburgh.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I don't know what to think of them anymore. They started out pretty strong last year too. It's kinda scary for Pittsburgh fans with the ownership they have. I don't know McCutchens contract but I seriously doubt he stays in Pittsburgh.
I think he signed a long deal with them actually that keeps him around there for a while past when he would have otherwise become a FA.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
I think he signed a long deal with them actually that keeps him around there for a while past when he would have otherwise become a FA.
He signed a six year extension back in May I think and said that he signed it because he felt that Pittsburgh was close to building a winner and he wanted to be around when that happened. It is certainly a good sentiment and I HOPE it is true. I would love to see Pittsburgh starting dominating the NL Central.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Don't worry about them, I'm sure they will be able to draft and develop another 24 productive Major League players, because I have been told numerous times that all teams need to do to win is stink for a years, stock up on prospects (who never fail, of course!!!) and sit back and count the championships. Works. Every. Time.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Don't worry about them, I'm sure they will be able to draft and develop another 24 productive Major League players, because I have been told numerous times that all teams need to do to win is stink for a years, stock up on prospects (who never fail, of course!!!) and sit back and count the championships. Works. Every. Time.
You're correct. It just takes some teams years and others decades to make it happen, but eventually it does happen.

Did I say years and decades? I'm sorry, I also meant to also say "a century or two."

All hail The Rick
Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Too bad. I was hoping that they'd finally have a winning season this year.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:28 PM
WSI Personality

Honestly since the Pirates didn't make the playoffs, I was kinda hoping they would go 20 years under 500. I guess it's kinda mean to wish that upon another team but if they're not gonna make the playoffs they may as well keep the losing streak alive.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:45 PM
WSI Personality

Default Pittsburgh

Although I like the Cell, I wish we played in a park like the Pirates have in the South Loop. I've been all over the country following the White Sox on the road and the park in Pittsburgh is my favorite baseball park.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Although I like the Cell, I wish we played in a park like the Pirates have in the South Loop. I've been all over the country following the White Sox on the road and the park in Pittsburgh is my favorite baseball park.
Alot of people do say thats the best park in baseball. I guess they have a view of either the river or of downtown that is unmatched by any park. I've never been there but i've never heard a bad thing about the Pirates park.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
We could have had a park like Camden Yards and PNC Park but JR and Co. nixed it, instead we got 2 tiers of suites and a club level section that gave us the steepest upper deck in MLB. Comiskey II was just about the most sterile park ever built, operating rooms should be so sterile. At least JR saw the error of his ways and came up with a park that has a little more character but still no PNC Park.

As far as the Bucs go, I thought that this was the year that they would break that horrible streak.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
We could have had a park like Camden Yards and PNC Park but JR and Co. nixed it, instead we got 2 tiers of suites and a club level section that gave us the steepest upper deck in MLB. Comiskey II was just about the most sterile park ever built, operating rooms should be so sterile. At least JR saw the error of his ways and came up with a park that has a little more character but still no PNC Park.
At least in 1991 when the ballpark was opened. Now? It's likely no steeper than many of the new ballparks, especially those stadia with retractable roofs.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
At least in 1991 when the ballpark was opened. Now? It's likely no steeper than many of the new ballparks, especially those stadia with retractable roofs.
I will bet that there are some higher but I will put USCF at the steepest or in the top 3 in MLB. The steepest stadium I have been in is the Forum in Tampa, my wife would not even stand for the anthem, she has a fear of heights and that 3rd deck is insanely steep.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I will bet that there are some higher but I will put USCF at the steepest or in the top 3 in MLB. The steepest stadium I have been in is the Forum in Tampa, my wife would not even stand for the anthem, she has a fear of heights and that 3rd deck is insanely steep.
I think it's more psychology and perception than the actual pitch of the deck. Not having a roof until the 2003 renovation I think gave off the perception that it was much steeper than it actually is, as you look up when you're walking and see sky. I would doubt that the pitch is any steeper than the UDs in Seattle, Arizona, Milwaukee, Houston, Toronto, Miami or Oakland. I think a lot perception, besides the psychology involved in walking up the stairs in the UD, is based on the unfairly poor reputation and stereotyping of USCF in general among the local and national media.