White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 11:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

History has taught us that the Chairman isn't going to dump those who are loyal to him no matter how bad they are at their jobs so I believe with all sincerity that Mr Stone will be gone and Mr Harrelson will remain. As someone stated earlier, Hawk stifles Stoney and even when it comes to matters concerning pitching. Hawk seems to know more than his Cy Young Award winning counterpart. Hawk has turned Stone into nothing more than another boring analyst, a far cry from what he was with his days with the Cubs. Then he could almost perdict what was going to happen in the game before it happened. I was ecstatic when I heard that Stoney was coming to the South Side but it's typical that due to one know-it-all like Ken Harrelson, that we as fans could not benefit from the talents of Stone as the Cub fans did because noboby is allowed to be smarter than Hawk. I've been all for the retirement of Ken Harrelson for years now but I know that it will only happen when he's ready. If Stoney departs, all the club will do is give the job to someone else who's already in the organisation somewhere who hasn't got a clue like DJ and Farmer, who sucks too, by the way. They'll put some bore-ass like Mike Huff or a similar sort in with King Kenny unless maybe Wimpy can suck it in and put up with the Hillbilly Harrelson once again. After 50 years , I can honestly say that it becoming harder and harder to be a White Sox fan but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

"I still get such a bang out of it, playing ball. The same as I did when I first came up. You get out there and the stand are full and everybody's cheering. It's like everybody in the world came to see you."

George Daniel "Buck" Weaver
1890-1956

Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINMVP View Post
Would it be out of line to move Hawk to the radio broadcast?
The TV booth is named after Harrelson so that will never happen. Even if it wasn't, that would never happen. The Chairman is loyal to those who hump his leg and Hawk's been doing that for years.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Interesting article.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...376246198.html
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 AM
WSI Guru

King:

I think there's a thread on this started last week...just FYI.

Lip
Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick53 View Post
The TV booth is named after Harrelson so that will never happen. Even if it wasn't, that would never happen. The Chairman is loyal to those who hump his leg and Hawk's been doing that for years.
Because we all know that you are only intellectually honest if you disrespect your employer.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
The deal with Hawk is simple: (and generally I like him, but he does do some things that make me cringe...)

When the Sox are winning, he typically makes it more fun.
When the Sox are losing, he typically makes it even worse.

The issue is on everyone's mind because the last 2 weeks have been so awful.

I can't staaaaaaaand Vin Sc.... zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nailed it. If the Sox were rolling to a division title right now...all good!

I like both Hawk and Stone,so would not like to see Stone leave.
This last two weeks have been so brutal, the good Lord himself in the booth could not make it fun.
I agree somewhat that Hawk might be getting a bit too old to handle the disappointment gracefully,and the last few broadcasts have seemed very,very quiet. But, being Sox fans,we feel the same,right?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
I want a biased announcer. I want a homer. Does everybody have to be a blow dried boring ESPN clone? Jack Brickhouse, Bob Prince, Harry Caray, Jack Buck, Chuck Thompson, even Ernie Harwell in his quiet subdued way were homers.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
This last two weeks have been so brutal, the good Lord himself in the booth could not make it fun.
Nobody could have made the last two weeks fun, but a major-market announcer has to bring something to the broadcast other than silence and angry pouting.

What I would have liked to hear from the announcers the past couple weeks is some insight and analysis on what's gone wrong with the team. Are the players taking a different approach than they did earlier in the season? Are opposing pitchers doing something different? Is it mental? Did the team just run out of gas?

The announcers have unusual access to the players and coaches -- they fly on the team plane, they can get into the lockerroom and onto the field before games, and as ex-athletes themselves, they should have a lot of insider knowledge of the game. Yet I haven't heard much analysis from the announcers that goes beyond the obvious stuff that I can see myself.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
I like both Hawk and Stone for what they bring. I've grown up with Hawk's enthusiasm and Stone's overall knowledge during in-game situations. Sometimes though, Hawk debates or overrides Stone with what he knows and Stone seems to just go through the motions and do nothing but state the obvious. Whether it's ego, the travel or whatever I hope the Sox find a viable replacement.
I'm thinking Stone might be done with the Hawk. I have noticed what you are saying about Hawk muzzling Stone . He may be done with it. This might just be an excuse to get out.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:02 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick53 View Post
History has taught us that the Chairman isn't going to dump those who are loyal to him no matter how bad they are at their jobs so I believe with all sincerity that Mr Stone will be gone and Mr Harrelson will remain. As someone stated earlier, Hawk stifles Stoney and even when it comes to matters concerning pitching. Hawk seems to know more than his Cy Young Award winning counterpart. Hawk has turned Stone into nothing more than another boring analyst, a far cry from what he was with his days with the Cubs. Then he could almost perdict what was going to happen in the game before it happened. I was ecstatic when I heard that Stoney was coming to the South Side but it's typical that due to one know-it-all like Ken Harrelson, that we as fans could not benefit from the talents of Stone as the Cub fans did because noboby is allowed to be smarter than Hawk. I've been all for the retirement of Ken Harrelson for years now but I know that it will only happen when he's ready. If Stoney departs, all the club will do is give the job to someone else who's already in the organisation somewhere who hasn't got a clue like DJ and Farmer, who sucks too, by the way. They'll put some bore-ass like Mike Huff or a similar sort in with King Kenny unless maybe Wimpy can suck it in and put up with the Hillbilly Harrelson once again. After 50 years , I can honestly say that it becoming harder and harder to be a White Sox fan but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.
That's pretty spot on. Hawk has to own every conversation and Stone does not seem to even bother to refute or chime in with his expertise anymore. You can almost tell Stone is done with the Hawk. as far as the being a White Sox fan , we are all gluttons for punishment and are hooked no matter what happens.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

I am hoping Stone is out of the booth. I'm not saying Stone is the problem, but I think Hawk and Wimpy or Hawk and DJ is our best realistic bet. Hawk is going nowhere.

Like someone said a few posts up:

When things are going well, Hawk makes the game more enjoyable for me.
When things are going poorly, Hawk makes me even more upset.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
In terms of marketing the team, Steve Stone is the worst thing to happen to the Sox in the past four years.

I'm surprised so many people are oblivious to this fact.

I'd take Hawk and DJ back in a heartbeat over Stone being in the booth. I don't think at this point that is the solution to the problem, but it's a statement to the fact that the Sox fanbase wants to listen homer announcers, either on the radio or tv side. Even John Rooney was a homer announcer. Steve Stone has gone out of his way to be as anti-homer and unenthusiastic about the Sox product as anyone possibly could, whether goofing on how bad the bobbleheads looked this year, to making fun of fans eating food in the stands when the tv cameras are on them, to refusing to show any enthusiasm after a big Sox hit or homer. Steve Stone hasn't sold a ticket to a Sox game since he joined the radio side in 2008.
Announcers can be homers to the point of being a negative on the marketing end. For one thing, the Sox play c. 25 games on WGN - that's the opportunity to develop a national fan base. Harrelson doesn't cut it. He's not lovable like Harry. A professional announcer would be better.
Rooney was first and foremost a PROFESSIONAL announcer. He was a homer in the sense of most baseball PBP people are homer...which is to say he was nothing like Harrelson. And if you bring Wimpy back with Hawk, it's Hawk to the 4th power.
I like Stone, but I see your point there.
I think the big problem is that there are really zero professional announcers on the Sox team (although I consider Stone one because he's done it for a long time and with many teams).
Old 10-01-2012, 01:26 PM
WSI Prelate

When I interned at WGN-TV in 2010, I heard that Hawk and Stoney had gone out to dinner exactly once since being teamed up. That number probably hasn't changed since then, so I can understand why Stoney would wanna get out of that booth sooner rather than later. Though frankly, I have to tip my cap to anybody who's able to stay in the same booth with Hawk for six months. It must be unbearable when the Sox are playing horribly as they have for the past two weeks. Put Stoney back on the radio, where he can really stand out as he did with Farmer in '08. I could care less what happens to DJ.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:57 PM
WSI High Priest

I can't stand Hawk anymore, I wish he would retire. He is just a shell of what he used to be. Every game with him calling it is the same:

(1) Open with sound board options 1 through 3
(2) Complain about Umps and talk about how he got screwed
(3) More Sound board statements
(4) Make sure once an inning to reference time spent playing, especially with former Red Sox greats
(5) More Sound board statements
(6) Remind everyone we got screwed on a bad call
(7) Sound board
(8) Sound board
(9) Leave for an extended bathroom break
(10) Complain about Umps more
(11) Sound board
(12) Make excuse for losing

Its just unwatchable, I don't get how anyone can enjoy it.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I can't stand Hawk anymore, I wish he would retire. He is just a shell of what he used to be.

Yep. Unfortunately he won't be going anywhere. Maybe I'll just get the extra innings package next season and listen to the opposing team's announcers. Wouldn't blame Stoney one bit if he decided he couldn't take working with Hawk anymore.
Closed Thread