White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post

I can accept the second part as long as he treats it as a learning experience. For a first year manager with no experience, this hasnt been a bad job--just a terrible way to close out the season. Hopefully in the future, we don't see any more of this.

I do wonder what changes they make going forward. The Sox can't afford to rebuild unless they want fan support to trend even further downward. The fans will come to the park after sustained success, and it seems like the only way to reach that point would be via a free agent spending spree. Not sure if I see that happening though.
Which is why their indecision is inherently flawed from the start. You can't say that nobody will show up if they are a bad, young team. Nobody is showing up for a flawed, old, expensive team either. So you'd rather be old, slow, expensive and wait for the best?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:11 PM
WSI High Priest

I suspect it's hard to sell season tickets when the last thing Sox fans remember from the previous season is a string of poorly played baseball during a late season collapse. I hope Hahn and the rest of the staff have plans to analyze this history of September collapses/weak finishes.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:14 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterMcGavin View Post
I appreciate the info. For a surgery that has a recovery time of only 4-6 weeks, it's too bad Konerko didn't have the surgery two years ago.

I don't believe this Konerko statement, "I don't feel it has impacted anything I've done this year..."
I don't believe it either, but I understand why Paul is not acknowledging the impact of the injury in the press. He doesn't want to be painted as an excuse-maker. I don't blame him for lying to the media about his physical problems. His numbers don't lie. I think we all knew he would come back to earth after the hot start. A lifetime .283 hitter isn't going to all of a sudden hit .350 or above. But the power dropoff is a telltale sign that something isn't quite right with Paulie. There weren't a lot of big hits in his bat coming down the stretch, unfortunately.

Just in general, Rios has had little help in the middle of the lineup lately. Again today, only five hits, and none after the fourth inning. David Price is great, sure, but I've seen that kind of poor production against far lesser pitchers than Price. You don't hit guys like Corey Kluber, you paint yourself into a corner where you have to beat an elite starter such as Price to save the season. That's a tall order. It was too tall a task for the Sox today.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
Which is why their indecision is inherently flawed from the start. You can't say that nobody will show up if they are a bad, young team. Nobody is showing up for a flawed, old, expensive team either. So you'd rather be old, slow, expensive and wait for the best?
What i'm saying is, if the Sox want to attract fans it has to be after a sustained period of success. Let's be real, the Cubs and Wrigley field own the casual, "have fun at the ballgame" crowd. Sox fans don't tolerate that type of mediocrity. We want a winner, not an excuse to get drunk in the bleachers.

At this point, the Sox need to make changes, but if they were to do what the Cubs are doing on the north side, it would be a disaster for them at the gate. And I don't think the Sox are going to go on a Yankees-style spending spree. They're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
The biggest problem that is facing this franchise is that they are content to settle for mediocrity. And the reason they draw so poorly is that while the organization is content with mediocrity they continue to charge fans for a premier product. It is a simple as that and until that changes the problems this organization faces won't. And I see no reason to believe that mindset will change as long as the current ownership is in charge.
Great, great, great post. This team has tried to compete not for a division, but for a World Series, in the offseason once that I can remember - 2006.

The rest of the time? Building to compete in a usually weak division.

No es bueno, and the fans are sick of it.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-30-2012, 09:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Can't help but think back to Konerko's quote at the beginning of the season about how it could be successfull even if we didn't make the playoffs...I definitely understood what he meant at the time but now this is looking like a complete disaster.
Actually, the way the season ended up was exactly what Paulie was talking about. They outdid most people's expectations, yet missed the postseason.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
We want a winner, not an excuse to get drunk in the bleachers.
No. I think we want a winner *and* an excuse to get drunk in the bleachers.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908<2005 View Post
There's a reason Adam Dunn has never been in the playoffs in his career. He may hit home runs and draw walks but he doesn't do anything but strikeout other than that. Productive outs are something that can't be seen in the boxscore.
Right. Because no "three outcome player" has ever been on teams that make the playoffs with any regularity.

Ridiculous statement.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Actually, the way the season ended up was exactly what Paulie was talking about. They outdid most people's expectations, yet missed the postseason.

What I meant to say is that I don't think they accomplished furthering their organization by developing younger talent other than a few of their pitchers. Of course only time will tell what the fallout of this season is and how it affects next year and beyond.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:51 PM
WSI Personality

Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
What I meant to say is that I don't think they accomplished furthering their organization by developing younger talent other than a few of their pitchers.
I agree.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:21 PM
WSI Guru

Tragg:

I believe you are correct (just off the top of my head) before 67 it was 64 when the Sox were eliminated on the next to last day.

That says something by the way about how often the Sox have actually been in "contention" late in a season doesn't it?

Lip
Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
This is true.As much as this hurts a Sox fan,I must root,root,root for the Yankmees to sweep the Toothless Tiggers in round 1.
Here's hoping Verlander gives up 8 runs in game 1 and Cabrera,Young and Jackson go hitless in the Series,if they play one another,that is.
Never!!

I'm actually hoping that Baltimore wins the east and the Yankees get knocked out in the play-in game.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Never!!

I'm actually hoping that Baltimore wins the east and the Yankees get knocked out in the play-in game.
The O's would be a good story if they went all the way.I'm just not a big Showalter fan.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFisk View Post

Time of death: 6:00 PM, September 29,2012.