White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 07:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Icon9

An old Jim Mora quote,from when he was the head clown..er..uh...coach of the Indianapolis Colts sums it up for me at this time :

"Playoffs?!?!? PLAYOFFS?!?!? Don't talk about the Playoffs! I just hope we can win another game."
Old 09-30-2012, 07:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
Konerko in the 4-hole past May was about as frustrating for me. I don't buy the excuse that Dunn was hitting in front of him. He had some huge at bats the past 30 days with runners in scoring position with less than 2 outs. I don't remember him coming through once when it was meaningful.
I still say something's hurting him.His arm,knee,back,whatever.But the Paul Konerko we have seen for the past 8 weeks or so is NOT the Konerko we saw that was hitting nearly .400 early on. I don't expect Konerko to put up monster power numbers,but 72 RBI's in September?!?!? You can't tell me he's not hurting.Just like everyone else in baseball at this time of year.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarySwiss View Post
And even if they get to the postseason, how far will they go? Sure, we're still alive barely, but I predict whoever wins the division is three and out.
This is true.As much as this hurts a Sox fan,I must root,root,root for the Yankmees to sweep the Toothless Tiggers in round 1.
Here's hoping Verlander gives up 8 runs in game 1 and Cabrera,Young and Jackson go hitless in the Series,if they play one another,that is.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:29 PM
WSI Guru

On August 26th this team was 16 over .500

What a difference a month makes...

Total, complete collapse in all aspects and facets.

It's going to be a very long off season.

Lip
Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I think we all agree. Our bench looked like the rejects on Animal House during pledge night.
I disagree. Flounder or D-Day MIGHT have gotten a hit with runners in scoring position.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 PM
WSI Personality

Can't help but think back to Konerko's quote at the beginning of the season about how it could be successfull even if we didn't make the playoffs...I definitely understood what he meant at the time but now this is looking like a complete disaster. We developed Sale, Reed, and Jones which is great but on the offense Tank turned out to be about average and no other "young" player really developed. Flowers showed nothing and so we are left to head into another offseason with way too many areas that need addressing and not enough money/resources to do it.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:41 PM
WSI Guru

Since the discussion has turned to Kenny Williams and "mediocrity" was used, the numbers say the average Sox season under him has produced 84.77 wins a year in soon to be 12 seasons.

Lip
Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Lip, you're the historian, but will tomorrow (or Tue or wed) be the latest in a season we've been eliminated since 1967?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I think that ownership is content with mediocrity. Kenny is a mediocre GM and the fact that ownership is willing to stick with him despite of this continued mediocrity and poor talent evaluation suggests to me that they are content with him. Kenny had a fantastic year in 2005 but the teams he has produced (both with Ozzie and Jerry Manuel as managers) have been mediocre. Overwhelmingly mediocre. I think any other organization would have noticed this and moved on from him a while ago.

If ownership wanted changes in the performance on the field and in the way the teams are constructed they could have fired Kenny awhile ago and brought in a better evaluator of talent and allocated more resources to the farm system so you don't have a lineup full of guys in their mid to late 30s and a bench reliant upon guys like Dewayne Wise and Jose Lopez. The fact that they haven't fired Kenny or allocated more resources to the farm system suggest to me that they are totally content with Kenny's approach of trying to find some sort of lightening in a bottle.

I have little doubt that Kenny is not content with mediocrity but I am not sure he can do much better than that, that is a problem with the ownership allowing him to continue, not with Kenny.
A. Perhaps ownership thought Williams was a good GM. Personally, I did. He understands you have to be creative to be a contender while being a mid market team, which realistically we are. We aren't going to attract big time FA's. Nobody wants to come here to play second fiddle in the second city. We're usually too good to draft in the top 10. We're in the middle. As such, we need to take risks on guys with big upside and subpar history's.

B. Kenny Williams is no longer the GM. Your rant makes little sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 PM
WSI Prelate

I can feel the death of the sox because of this threAd and the game thread. Just a general we give up and accept all of this freeling. The balloon has popped and the air is long gone.

Shame, due to circumstances before this month, this could have been my second favorite sox team ever. Now it's just another in a long line of disappointing teams.

Oh well, you can't really complain anymore. We had fun, and we obviously had disaster.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:25 PM
WSI Regular

There's a reason Adam Dunn has never been in the playoffs in his career. He may hit home runs and draw walks but he doesn't do anything but strikeout other than that. Productive outs are something that can't be seen in the boxscore.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908<2005 View Post
There's a reason Adam Dunn has never been in the playoffs in his career. He may hit home runs and draw walks but he doesn't do anything but strikeout other than that. Productive outs are something that can't be seen in the boxscore.
Are we seriously still doing this?

Adam Dunn's teams never having gone to the playoffs has next to nothing to do with Adam Dunn's production.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post

Adam Dunn's teams never having gone to the playoffs has next to nothing to do with Adam Dunn's production.
Obviously it's not all Adam Dunn's fault his teams never reached the postseason. Ernie Banks, a legitimate HOFer never made it to the postseason either. Nevertheless if I want a contending team then Adam Dunn has no place on it.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post

I agree, Dunn by himself is pretty much the same player he's ever been. But the production we've gotten out of the 5-9 spots would kill any offense.

If Kenny/Rick can find a taker for Dunn in the offseason, and fill the 3 spot with a better hitter, I'd be fine with it. The only issue is that we'd pretty much need to take an equally bad contract to make the deal.

With Beckham and Viciedo (who's repped by Boras) hitting arbitration this offseason, gotta wonder what will happen with them, especially if Hahn wants to remake the roster.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
The biggest problem that is facing this franchise is that they are content to settle for mediocrity. And the reason they draw so poorly is that while the organization is content with mediocrity they continue to charge fans for a premier product. It is a simple as that and until that changes the problems this organization faces won't. And I see no reason to believe that mindset will change as long as the current ownership is in charge.
Indeed. This season's ending is unacceptable.