White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What Stage Are You In Today?
Denial 12 6.52%
Anger 19 10.33%
Bargaining 12 6.52%
Depression 31 16.85%
Acceptance 110 59.78%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Acceptance. Let's face it, the Sox and Tigers are more pretenders than contenders: two teams that would be out if it by now in a two division set-up and in the middle of the standings if there were no divisons at all. I suspect a three and out for for the Central division "Champion"
It's baseball. You never know. I have to say the Tigers have a better chance to win a 5-game series than the Sox would have. Their starting pitching is in pretty good shape if Scherzer is ready to go.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:51 AM
WSI Personality

I can't believe so many have went through all 5 stages already . I'm stuck on anger.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

I've been at acceptance for a long time, could see this coming. As they dropped game after game not only Detroit but also trash like KC, I would vent in places like this and all people would say would be "Hey we're still in first place in September!!" or "But we have the 3rd best record against weak teams" or some other nonsense.

This team's issues are mental and lack of desire. They can beat up on quality teams like NY and Texas and others but can't win home series against bodybags like the Cubs, Astros, Royals, Indians etc.

This franchise got their ring in 05 and management and many fans have been satisfied with that for far too long. I can't stand failure and mediocrity though.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:56 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyroger2 View Post
I've been at acceptance for a long time, could see this coming. As they dropped game after game not only Detroit but also trash like KC, I would vent in places like this and all people would say would be "Hey we're still in first place in September!!" or "But we have the 3rd best record against weak teams" or some other nonsense.

This team's issues are mental and lack of desire. They can beat up on quality teams like NY and Texas and others but can't win home series against bodybags like the Cubs, Astros, Royals, Indians etc.

This franchise got their ring in 05 and management and many fans have been satisfied with that for far too long. I can't stand failure and mediocrity though.
Ditto that. They have to be .500 since 05 recordwise or close to it. I think fans are starting to show their lack of faith in KW putting another title contender on the field in the form of empty seats at the end of these so-called pennant race games. We know how the story ends before it starts. 1 playoff, briefly, since 05.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Disappointed and leaning towards acceptance. All year long when the Sox were down they immediately got back up and started winning. When September started I was positive that the Sox would win over 90 wins. This was a September from hell, the inability not to hold leads against the Tigers or KC came back to haunt us. I can't believe last week we were all thinking playoffs, got our playoff tickets ready, and counting down the Magic number. Sad how this ended up.

Too many low points in recent Chicago sports.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Couldn't it just be that with some obvious examples aside, this is simply a young team that made great strides but, in the end, hit a wall?

The Sox made great progress this season in all aspects of the game, particularly defense and pitching. Looking to 2013, the Sox have a strong nucleus of a pitching staff. The minor league system has improved nicely in the last few drafts.

So, cheer up. Unlike the neighbors eight miles to the north (who have made much noise about rebuilding), the Sox have showed some genuine and tangible progress this year. Having seen some of the Cub prospects like Jackson and Vitters, I'm not sure that you can say the same about the Cubs.

And if the Sox can win the regular season home finale and if the Twins can beat Anibal Sanchez today, the Sox will only be 1 down going into the final series of the season at Cleveland. Let's go Sox!
Old 09-30-2012, 01:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Couldn't it just be that with some obvious examples aside, this is simply a young team that made great strides but, in the end, hit a wall?

The Sox made great progress this season in all aspects of the game, particularly defense and pitching. Looking to 2013, the Sox have a strong nucleus of a pitching staff. The minor league system has improved nicely in the last few drafts.

So, cheer up. Unlike the neighbors eight miles to the north (who have made much noise about rebuilding), the Sox have showed some genuine and tangible progress this year. Having seen some of the Cub prospects like Jackson and Vitters, I'm not sure that you can say the same about the Cubs.

And if the Sox can win the regular season home finale and if the Twins can beat Anibal Sanchez today, the Sox will only be 1 down going into the final series of the season at Cleveland. Let's go Sox!
Great post - thanks! I agree with everything you said and would add that Robin has conducted himself as the true professional that he is. Despite the errors he's made in this his rookie year as manager, he remains positive and focused. And, I am excited about John Danks' return to the Sox starting rotation in 2013.

As for 2012, I'm still watching and rooting and hoping to see a White Sox winner every day/night. GO SOX!
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post

They're going to have Danks whose performance has declined every year since 2008 and is coming of an injury, a maddeningly inconsistent Gavin, a question mark in Quintana and Sale. They're going to have four question marks and Sale.

As for how I feel, I'm in anger today. I was at acceptance but after Friday I went into denial and then after yesterday I was angry. I think a loss today would put me at acceptance again.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:17 PM
WSI Prelate

The Sox have some young, decent pitching, that exceeded all reasonable expectations this year. But the realist must prepare for the possibility that some of the young pitchers may regress next year.

Things are less rosy in the lineup. Will DeAza build upon his strong first half? Or is more like the lesser second half player we saw? Will Beckham build on his September? Or will he remain inconsistent? Will we see the 2010/2012 Rios? Or the 2009/2011 version? First half Paulie? Or sore wrist second half Paulie? First half Dunn or second half Dunn? Can AJ maintain excellence at age 36? What about Viciedo? First half lousy Alexei, or strong second half Alexei? Who's on third?

The defense is fine, but how is it affected if we try to replace a fielder to upgrade the lineup?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Acceptance. I'm getting too old to get my dander up because of the White Sox. I love them but I'm not going to let their lack of effort this last week ruin my health.

"I still get such a bang out of it, playing ball. The same as I did when I first came up. You get out there and the stand are full and everybody's cheering. It's like everybody in the world came to see you."

George Daniel "Buck" Weaver
1890-1956

Old 09-30-2012, 06:55 PM
WSI High Priest

I already voted, but I have now moved on to acceptance. The collapse is complete. Maybe next year...

SMO
Old 09-30-2012, 07:09 PM
WSI Prelate

I would say that today I am at an angry acceptance.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 PM
WSI Personality

I might be at "acceptance" now, but i'll never stop being angry about the 2012 team. They looked elite at times, and in the end all they had to do was not humiliate themselves. They couldn't even do that.

I loved this team in July...now I hope it looks very different going into 2013. I don't want to get strung along again by a team built to last only to the All Star Break.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM
WSI Regular

Here's where I'm at...... Go Bears!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
I might be at "acceptance" now, but i'll never stop being angry about the 2012 team. They looked elite at times, and in the end all they had to do was not humiliate themselves. They couldn't even do that.

I loved this team in July...now I hope it looks very different going into 2013. I don't want to get strung along again by a team built to last only to the All Star Break.
Well said.

Personally, I'm more upset that golf season is ending.