Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Watching the last month, in some ways, is like watching the '07 team. The offense can't do anything and after our starter leaves, it's eight AAA garbage pitchers that come in. The only difference is Robin makes more trips to the mound than Joe Mauer.

Why does he keep bringing in inferior AAA pitching and making 18 pitching changes a game? Is it because Robin already conceded the season? Has early onset dimentia set in? Does Don Coooper have blackmail material on the organization and demands to see all our future "young guns?" Is he really just that bad of a manager and the first four months were smoke and mirrors? Is the lack of MLB coaching experience rearing its ugly head?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Watching the last month, in some ways, is like watching the '07 team. The offense can't do anything and after our starter leaves, it's eight AAA garbage pitchers that come in. The only difference is Robin makes more trips to the mound than Joe Mauer.

Why does he keep bringing in inferior AAA pitching and making 18 pitching changes a game? Is it because Robin already conceded the season? Has early onset dimentia set in? Does Don Coooper have blackmail material on the organization and demands to see all our future "young guns?" Is he really just that bad of a manager and the first four months were smoke and mirrors? Is the lack of MLB coaching experience rearing its ugly head?
As far as "bullpen roulette" goes, I couldn't understand why Robin would mostly use Veal to face only one or two hitters, then take him out. If I'm not mistaken, in several of those instances his followup relief ended up costing us the game. I've heard that the reason is that "they're getting him ready for 2013", but in the heat of a pennant race I'm not exactly sure what that has to do with the cost of tomatoes...

Last edited by RadioheadRocks; 09-29-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 PM
WSI Guru

I don't know if this answer solves the situation completely but it looks to me like Robin might be one of the most 'match-up' prone managers in the game.

It's clear, crystal clear, he's a percentage guy for right or wrong. If that means making four changes to get through two innings that's what he's going to do apparently.

In that respect (and only that respect) he could make Ozzie look moderate.

Nothing wrong with that philosophy I guess if you have a stud bullpen and can mix and match six guys all pitching 'lights-out' like the Sox bullpens in the mid 60's, 1990 or 2005.

But if you don't have those guys...you could be in deep ****.

Lip
Old 09-29-2012, 09:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioheadRocks View Post

As far as "bullpen roulette" goes, I couldn't understand why Robin would mostly use Veal to face only one or two hitters, then take him out. If I'm not mistaken, in several of those instances his followup relief ended up costing us the game. I've heard that the reason is that "they're getting him ready for 2013", but in the heat of a pennant race I'm not exactly sure what that has to do with the cost of tomatoes...
This is my only real gripe against Robin, and who knows if it's inexperience or giving Coop too much say on pitching changes.

How can our relievers prepare themselves and have any kind of consistency when they're jerked in and out of the game at whim?

The way almost every other team does it is giving their guys roles. That way they know what know of situation they're going to face. Usually you have a closer, an 8th inning guy, a 7th inning guy who can go the 8th when needed, and a LOOGY - which are used when the team is ahead by a few, the game is tied, or situations when they just need work.The rest of the guys are divided into short and long roles and go in when the team is behind.

I know this was frowned upon here early, along with most other things that Ozzie did, but it makes a difference over a season.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post

Sorting out the garbage guys is part of it, I guess. Half gone, couple to AAA, maybe a couple will work out. Ax is not a reliever, lord knows, but I can't ignore those few big starts. Need some warm ones to replace the departed guys in 2013. Hahn will fix everything in no time.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 PM
WSI Prelate

The only good thing that happened to me today was buying a fitted Cuban national team hat for the world baseball classic. Looks pretty cool.

The white sox, oh those white sox.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:59 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioheadRocks View Post
Robin managed the bullpen better when it was only a 25 man roster. With the extra bodies out there, his is over managing the pen.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sox last 10 games: 2-8 record

Wise last 10 games: 0-19

I know Wise wasn't the only reason we choked away the division. But please take note Robin: if you play bums, you lose games.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post

I know Wise wasn't the only reason we choked away the division. But please take note Robin: if you play bums, you lose games.
Wise isn't the problem. Wise has shown that in limited situations he can do some damage with the bat; he then cools off considerably and begins to suck. The problem lies in needing him in the first place. That's a front office problem; not a Dewayne Wise or Robin Ventura problem. We have a middling roster.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post

So today would you have forced De Aza to play injured because you think Wise is a bum?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Showed up in the 3rd, left in the 6th and still feel like I wasted an afternoon.

Thanks 2012 White Sox for being exactly the team I thought you were 6 months ago.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Oh well. What can you do?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Showed up in the 3rd, left in the 6th and still feel like I wasted an afternoon.

Thanks 2012 White Sox for being exactly the team I thought you were 6 months ago.
If you thought the Sox could make a run into the last week of the season, congrats. I had no such delusions.

As I posted on the Facebook page, I am happy to have been able to get entertainment from the Sox through September. This team overachieved until it ran out of gas.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:32 AM
WSI High Priest

At the end of the day, you want your team to win it all.
If this squad snuck into the playoffs and was bounced immediately, we would still be disappointed.

As we saw in 2005, you need solid depth along the pitching staff, bullpen, and even far into the bench (Blum, Ozuna) to win it all.

This team was not built for such exploits.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:41 AM
WSI Regular

If the Sox had gone 4-5 instead of 1-8 during that nightmare stretch during the last couple weeks, they would be in sole possession of first. They are now 36-37 since the All-Star break.