White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 03:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Maybe she kept going down to the field to lobby for an opportunity to pitch. She's probably a better LOOGY than Septimo.
True and someone said Septimo was warming up at some point and I was just imagining Hafner and the one good shoulder he has left taking him yard.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I really think the Sox would have been better off if there was no such thing as September callups. There's no reason to be running 8, 9 pitchers out there every night, especially pitchers who weren't good enough to be on the 25 man roster before September. The old saying was that if you go to the bullpen often enough, you're going to find the guy who just doesn't have it that day. If you make a change, and the guy you bring in is getting people out, why make another change just for "matchups?"
I was thinking the same thing during the game. I mean, if this same game had happened a month ago, we'd have had to go to Jones, Crain or someone earlier instead of the stiffs. I don't know why we wouldn't treat it the same way here - other contending teams do.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-27-2012, 03:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I was thinking the same thing during the game. I mean, if this same game had happened a month ago, we'd have had to go to Jones, Crain or someone earlier instead of the stiffs. I don't know why we wouldn't treat it the same way here - other contending teams do.
That's the thing - if we are in a pickle in the 6th inning, use our best relievers then. 6th inning runs count the same as 9th.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I really think the Sox would have been better off if there was no such thing as September callups. There's no reason to be running 8, 9 pitchers out there every night, especially pitchers who weren't good enough to be on the 25 man roster before September. The old saying was that if you go to the bullpen often enough, you're going to find the guy who just doesn't have it that day. If you make a change, and the guy you bring in is getting people out, why make another change just for "matchups?"
I agree. I think some lesser players have been overexposed here in September, especially pitchers.

I've made several posts about the Sox doing things out of character this month. Our manager is guilty of putting guys in unfamiliar situations. Asking Youkilis to bunt against Detroit is one example. Starting Santiago in last night's game is another. Pitchers who spent the majority of the season in Charlotte have been asked to get critical outs. I wouldn't go to that well too often.

From my perspective, Ventura has managed differently in September than he did from April-August. His methods the first five months of the season were working. The expanded roster has caused him to change some strategies, and that has worked against the Sox more often than not.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-27-2012, 04:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I agree. I think some lesser players have been overexposed here in September, especially pitchers.

I've made several posts about the Sox doing things out of character this month. Our manager is guilty of putting guys in unfamiliar situations. Asking Youkilis to bunt against Detroit is one example. Starting Santiago in last night's game is another. Pitchers who spent the majority of the season in Charlotte have been asked to get critical outs. I wouldn't go to that well too often.

From my perspective, Ventura has managed differently in September than he did from April-August. His methods the first five months of the season were working. The expanded roster has caused him to change some strategies, and that has worked against the Sox more often than not.
You ever get the feeling that they're just drawing names out of a hat when they decide who to get up and throwing in the bullpen?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

I rarely pick up the paper or listen to the post-game interviews but has anyone in the media asked either Ventura or Cooper about their over-reliance on AAA call-ups during the home stretch? It's gotten to the point where it's just...bizarre. I can't figure out if it's Ventura's inexperience showing or if Cooper is calling the shots and over-thinking things. Maybe it's a little of both.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

It's all KW's fault!! We all know Robin is just his puppet!!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:49 PM
WSI Guru

JB / Nellie:

It's pretty clear based on what you see as well as Robin's own words that he is a percentage guy, so I wouldn't be surprised if he removed a pitcher who was getting outs in favor of another pitcher.

That's his way for right or wrong.

In that respect he's just like Ozzie.

Lip
Old 09-28-2012, 10:17 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Uh, you realize the Sox are actually above .500 against the division this year, right? 35-34 against the Central, albeit with 3 division games left.

Anyways:

2012 - 35-34
2011 - 32-40
2010 - 32-40
2009 - 34-38
2008 - 44-29
2007 - 39-33
2006 - 40-36
They play three horrendous teams in this division , Royals, Twins, Indians, they ought to be 12-15 games to the positive. The Sox are 20 plus under .500 the last three years against not the greatest division in the league, thanks for proving my point.

Last edited by mahagga73; 09-28-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:18 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
JB / Nellie:

It's pretty clear based on what you see as well as Robin's own words that he is a percentage guy, so I wouldn't be surprised if he removed a pitcher who was getting outs in favor of another pitcher.

That's his way for right or wrong.

In that respect he's just like Ozzie.

Lip
I like the fact he is yanking these guys that can't throw strikes real quick . I respect that. I can tell by the look on Robin's face and his demeanor he is dying a thousand deaths just like us fans.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:21 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
The amount of walks the Sox pitching staff has had is very alarming, but Coop is not going anywhere. He's still regarded as one of the better pitching coaches around.
No way, this staff has done better than can be expected with all the rookies and such. The Chokejob position players that cannot buy a hit with a runner in scoring position have sunk the ship.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
They play three horrendous teams in this division , Royals, Twins, Indians, they ought to be 12-15 games to the positive. The Sox are 20 plus under .500 the last three years against not the greatest division in the league, thanks for proving my point.
I don't know, you claim the Sox underachieve, it's possible that this is just the best they're capable of.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:52 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't know, you claim the Sox underachieve, it's possible that this is just the best they're capable of.
I would be with you on that if it wasn't for the alarming disparity between what they did earlier and what they are doing now with RISP. When you go from league leaders to .120, something is going on , nothing swings bad that fast.