White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 01:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Well said Coop. By the way, you may be picking up your pink slip if things don't turn around.
The amount of walks the Sox pitching staff has had is very alarming, but Coop is not going anywhere. He's still regarded as one of the better pitching coaches around.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sox K/BB ratio in the last 7 games: 1.54, season average-2.46
Detroit? 8.67, season average-3.10
Old 09-27-2012, 01:14 PM
WSI Guru

Noneck:

I was told they want to air it tomorrow. The reporter Michael Puenta apparently also has an afternoon show which he told me part of it will be used to discuss this issue.

Here is his and the station's info. You might want to check with him for specifics:

Michael Puente| Reporter, WBEZ 91.5 FM Chicago Public Media
Twitter:@MikePuenteNews
WBEZ at Navy Pier | 848 East Grand Avenue | Chicago, Illinois 60611 | Front Desk 312.948-4600 | Newsroom 312.948-4650;
Listen online athttp://www.wbez.org/

Lip
Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
That's why I referred to this as a "choke." Detroit isn't winning the division so much as the Sox are losing it.

But really, what does it matter what people call it? Slump, choke, collapse, whatever, the moral of the story is the Sox let a three-game lead slip away in a week and now they're in deep ****.
The difference is that a choke is all mental; a slump or collapse can be physical.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 PM
WSI High Priest

The Sox look like their toast. They've really fallen off a cliff after being in the drivers seat a week ago.

Lip, I think the Sox collapse and your interview today about attendance issues are well timed. I think this end-of-season collapse is Exhibit A of why the stadium isn't packed to the rafters every night. No, people didn't know the Sox were going to choke away their lead this year, but there is a history of it that has killed fan interest. 2009 and 2010 both saw seasons where the Sox were in 1st place at some point in the 2nd half only to have them totally fall apart later in the season. Last year was just a total "ALL IN!" bust of a team that quit on the season from the manager down. Just being good enough to win between 80 and 85 games year in and year out isn't going to cut it for this franchise in this market.

Maybe, someday, the Sox will use some approach to building a consistent pennant contender other than the "contend on the fly" approach of the KW-era. There are some things KW does very well (like finding scrap heap players). But, this organization lacks depth and it really shows over the long haul of the season.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:21 PM
WSI Guru

Nellie:

I think there is both to this latest situation. I think there are physical issues but I also think it has gotten into their heads.

Lip
Old 09-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Nellie:

I think there is both to this latest situation. I think there are physical issues but I also think it has gotten into their heads.

Lip
I don't like to play amateur psychologist from a distance. I think one would need to be in the clubhouse on a day-to-day basis to know what their mental attitude is.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
The amount of walks the Sox pitching staff has had is very alarming, but Coop is not going anywhere. He's still regarded as one of the better pitching coaches around.
I doubt Coop is going anywhere, but the way he's inserted himself in pitching change decisions has to stop. I'm sure Robin has leaned on him too hard due to inexperience early in the year, and recently because it worked earlier.

Robin has to know his pitchers and the situation well enough to make that call, even if it's at odds with what Coop wants. I'd also like to see a return to bullpen roles next year, since these rapid fire changes aren't helping our relievers get into any kind of rhythm.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
The Sox look like their toast.
Saw them last night. They still looked pretty human to me, and barely buttered. That being said, I don't have any facts to back up what the players' pieces of toast look like.

But, yes, they look dead and defeated. Limp. Tired. Fed up.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-27-2012, 01:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I doubt Coop is going anywhere, but the way he's inserted himself in pitching change decisions has to stop. I'm sure Robin has leaned on him too hard due to inexperience early in the year, and recently because it worked earlier.

Robin has to know his pitchers well enough to make that call, even if it's at odds with what Coop wants. I'd also like to see are return to bullpen roles next year, since these rapid fire changes aren't helping our relievers get into any kind of rhythm.
I guess that's my question then. Who's making the decision to average six pitchers a game? Robin, Coop or both?

Last night, I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone for a while. It was two walks, a hit, a pitching change, a new pitcher warming, and a lady near us coming up the steps. Seemed like that happened roughly every inning third through seventh. By the fourth pitcher my friend asked me if I was also having deja vu, especially since the same lady was coming up the steps about a fourth time.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Well said Coop. By the way, you may be picking up your pink slip if things don't turn around.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:43 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
I guess that's my question then. Who's making the decision to average six pitchers a game? Robin, Coop or both?

Last night, I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone for a while. It was two walks, a hit, a pitching change, a new pitcher warming, and a lady near us coming up the steps. Seemed like that happened roughly every inning third through seventh. By the fourth pitcher my friend asked me if I was also having deja vu, especially since the same lady was coming up the steps about a fourth time.
Maybe she kept going down to the field to lobby for an opportunity to pitch. She's probably a better LOOGY than Septimo.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-27-2012, 01:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Saw them last night. They still looked pretty human to me, and barely buttered. That being said, I don't have any facts to back up what the players' pieces of toast look like.

But, yes, they look dead and defeated. Limp. Tired. Fed up.

They were so excited, so excited. So...scared.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Official Professor

I really think the Sox would have been better off if there was no such thing as September callups. There's no reason to be running 8, 9 pitchers out there every night, especially pitchers who weren't good enough to be on the 25 man roster before September. The old saying was that if you go to the bullpen often enough, you're going to find the guy who just doesn't have it that day. If you make a change, and the guy you bring in is getting people out, why make another change just for "matchups?"
Old 09-27-2012, 01:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
They were so excited, so excited. So...scared.
Well done!