White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 AM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mount prospect
Posts: 4,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadPaleHoser View Post
It does suck, but at the same time a win tonight and a Tigers loss ties us again for 1st.

It's not likely, but I'm holding out hope they snap out if it now that they're chasing. Stranger things have happened.
Why not likely? What has Detroit done to make anyone think that they are going to now walk away with the division? Detroit plays their last 6 games on the road. Granted, those games are against the Twins and Royals, but Detroit is also 7 games below .500 on the road.

This isn't over yet. It's going to come down to the last weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:47 AM
tstrike2000's Avatar
tstrike2000 tstrike2000 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 'Burbs
Posts: 5,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
What do you base that on??? Myers appeared in 4 games against Detroit and he only allowed 1 hit and no runs.
Well, then I'm getting him mixed up with KC, with whom he has a 21.00 ERA against, or something in that neighborhood.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,036
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Why not likely? What has Detroit done to make anyone think that they are going to now walk away with the division? Detroit plays their last 6 games on the road. Granted, those games are against the Twins and Royals, but Detroit is also 7 games below .500 on the road.

This isn't over yet. It's going to come down to the last weekend.
I hear you, but it's hard to find any sort of optimism about a team that's just gone 1-7 over the last week and pissed away a 3-game lead in the standings. Reall at this point, it feels like the Tigers could finish the year 0-7 and they'd probably still win the division.

This sucks.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:49 AM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
Not about the size of the lead for me.

The Sox held a three game cushion nine days ago and lost four games in the standings since.
It's not the size of the lead, it's how they used it.
\nervously waits for laugh track...

For 4 months they were better than Detroit and couldn't maintain that when it mattered, that's what rubs me the wrong way.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,036
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
For 4 months they were better than Detroit and couldn't maintain that when it mattered, that's what rubs me the wrong way.
Yeah, what pisses me most off about this is that the Tigers have been generally ****ty for the entire season. Really, it's not even like they're playing exceptionally good baseball now. They got swept in a doubleheader by the Twins 4 days ago. THE TWINS. The worst team in the American League. And we can't hold them off.

It'd be one thing if the Tigers got red hot and just passed us, as a lot of people sort of expected for most of the summer. There's not much you can do when another team just clicks into 5th gear. Sometimes, **** happens. But they're pissing away the division to a team that's going to win a max of what? 86 games this year? That's what so disheartening about this. Detroit's been begging the Sox to take the Central all summer and they never did.

Our playoff odds have dropped over 50% since Monday's win. What a ****ing week.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 AM
harwar harwar is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wisconsin ..
Posts: 3,030
Default

My gut told me that they would turn this thing around when they came home .. i just wish that my gut would keep it's big mouth shut! .. I have been expecting us and the tigers to change places in 1st for the last 2 months, but it didn't happen .. now we seem to be in a bad spot here, so let's see .. we have to play a 4 spot with the hottest team in baseball right now, while the tigers are playing the royals (who seem to be showing their true colors) and the twins (one of the worst teams in the AL) .. there's optimism and then there's facing ****ing reality, and reality is indeed rearing it's ugly head at me .. i've gone from looking forward to watching to dreading it .. during last nights game it occurred to me, are these guys just out of gas, have they truly just given up, or were they, in reality, never all that good to begin with, but i just never saw it .. anyway, i think that they will all just be relieved when the season is finally over ..
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:00 AM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mount prospect
Posts: 4,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I hear you, but it's hard to find any sort of optimism about a team that's just gone 1-7 over the last week and pissed away a 3-game lead in the standings. Reall at this point, it feels like the Tigers could finish the year 0-7 and they'd probably still win the division.

This sucks.
I get that, guess the eternal optimist in me is just holding on to the hope that the Sox could still win this thing.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Jurr Jurr is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
You can call it choke or whatever, it really doesn't matter, it's all really meaningless rhetoric anyway. I think people are taking exception to the term "colossal" or "epic" or whatever choke job. The Sox never had a real hold on this division, plenty of teams in baseball history that have lead a division by 3 games have gone on to bow out. This will sting us, but nobody is going to put the Sox in the category of say, the '69 Cubs, '64 Phillies, or '11 Red Sox and Braves.
Yeah, exactly. This team overachieved. Period. If they come back, defy the scheduling gods, and win the division, they deserve medals.
__________________
"Guess what? I bought you a Hawk and DJ bobblehead on ebay. It even says 'Hawk' on Hawk's hat. Isn't that cool."
---My awesome father
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,314
Default

This and that:

I found it very ironic that Peavy is quoted in the papers today talking about how he likes the Sox chances in the post season the day after they drop out of first, have lost seven of eight and are free falling. He gets his chance tonight to beat someone not named Minnesota at least...

The Sox are 8-for-65 over the last nine games with runners in scoring position. When the heat's on they can't get it done apparently.

I was contacted last night by reporter Michael Puente of WBEZ radio (Chicago NPR) he is interviewing me this morning as part of a piece they are doing on the Sox attendance issues. It's cool that he asked but I wish it was for a more positive subject.

Nothing to do but play it out and hope for the best. The Sox put themselves in this position, now they not only have to win, but Detroit has to lose.

Scherzer by the way is having his start skipped tomorrow according to ESPN.com

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:31 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, what pisses me most off about this is that the Tigers have been generally ****ty for the entire season. Really, it's not even like they're playing exceptionally good baseball now. They got swept in a doubleheader by the Twins 4 days ago. THE TWINS. The worst team in the American League. And we can't hold them off.

It'd be one thing if the Tigers got red hot and just passed us, as a lot of people sort of expected for most of the summer. There's not much you can do when another team just clicks into 5th gear. Sometimes, **** happens. But they're pissing away the division to a team that's going to win a max of what? 86 games this year? That's what so disheartening about this. Detroit's been begging the Sox to take the Central all summer and they never did.

Our playoff odds have dropped over 50% since Monday's win. What a ****ing week.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

That's why I referred to this as a "choke." Detroit isn't winning the division so much as the Sox are losing it.

But really, what does it matter what people call it? Slump, choke, collapse, whatever, the moral of the story is the Sox let a three-game lead slip away in a week and now they're in deep ****.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 2-1; Total: 120-91.
Next game: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:45 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,145
Default

It's all for naught without the playoffs, says Coop.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/09/...be-for-naught/
__________________
Farm system wanted
Top prospects now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:51 PM
SCCWS SCCWS is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,115
Default

Well said Coop. By the way, you may be picking up your pink slip if things don't turn around.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 6,752
Default

Lip, When will interview be aired?
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:54 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 17,811
Default

Surprised Coop has time to talk when he needs to be busy getting Brian Omogrosso prepared for a third consecutive appearance.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 09-27-2012, 01:04 PM
harwar harwar is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wisconsin ..
Posts: 3,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Surprised Coop has time to talk when he needs to be busy getting Brian Omogrosso prepared for a third consecutive appearance.
and making sure that there's plenty of margaritas after the game
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.