White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 10:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
I don't know, entering September I hoped that I would see something different under Ventura. But I have not, it's actually exactly the same since I can remember. If this team can find a way to disappoint you, it will.
Ventura is responsible himself for a good deal of that disappointment.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-27-2012, 10:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it - many of those guys in the pen shouldn't be here in 2013.
Eh, there are some guys with talent: Jones, Veal, Reed (not as a closer) that will be cheap and I would have no problem seeing them next year.

The kids in the bullpen actually regressed way less than I thought. I figured after a while their scouting reports would get out and they'd be 'figured out'. That didn't seem so much the case.

However it's not soon enough the Humber and Liriano are put in a box and shipped to Kamchatka.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Maybe we need a new thread to start imagining how the roster might be pieced together for next spring. Or is that basically conceding that the season is over because the Sox fell a game behind?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Maybe we need a new thread to start imagining how the roster might be pieced together for next spring. Or is that basically conceding that the season is over because the Sox fell a game behind?
I've always thought those threads tend to overemphasize how many guys will be replaced by guys already within the organization.

Since we have little organizational depth, we'd be doing little but speculating on free agents.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Eh, there are some guys with talent: Jones, Veal, Reed (not as a closer) that will be cheap and I would have no problem seeing them next year.

The kids in the bullpen actually regressed way less than I thought. I figured after a while their scouting reports would get out and they'd be 'figured out'. That didn't seem so much the case.

However it's not soon enough the Humber and Liriano are put in a box and shipped to Kamchatka.
Liriano, Humber, Septimo, and Myers can go. It's been too many times where Myers gives up a rocket which looks even worse in a hitter's ballpark. Plus, he can't be used at all against teams like Detroit and especially KC. I'm assuming many want to see Thornton gone as well, though he was good for a few weeks. Crain can be good again if his health ever gets in check.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:04 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Soxman 219:

I agree, it's a choke. Everything started to slide in late August. The question is why did it happen and why does it keep happening in the second half for most of the past 10 seasons?

That's the million dollar question. If Hahn can answer that he'll be ahead of the game by a lot moving on in the future.

Lip
I don't agree it is a choke. This has been a continual slide since the All Star game:

Paul Konerko-- Pre-All Star .329 Post .261== .68 point drop
Alex Rios--- .318 .276== .42 point drop

That is your number 4 and 5 hitters. A huge void in the middle of the lineup. Now to compound that Youk dropped .56 points although in fairness most of his pre time was in Boston. Beckham has dropped .18 points , AJ .10 .
The problem you have offensively is that 2 key hitters took huge drops since the All Star game. But no one had great second half numbers to compensate. If Dunn and Konerko had big 2nd halfs, we would probably still be in 1st. In general everyone was about the same or dropped in 2nd half and the 4/5 hitters really tanked.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABP View Post
How is this not a colossal choke job? After beating the Tigers, all they had to do is go .500 and they would be fine. They're 1-7 since then.
There are a lot of good takes on this thread, and most have to do with the law of averages. I whole heartedly agree.

You have a team that at the beginning of the year was deemed a troubled one with a rookie manager (on ANY level). The entire bullpen is learning on the job.

The team needed big production from Rios and Dunn to even have a chance at competence. Well, we got that production, and 82 wins so far says "competence".

When you have this much youth, inconsistency is expected. This team has been very streaky. Now, Detroit is built to win NOW, and they are coming on at the right time. If the Sox hold them off, Ventura deserves a trophy on his mantle.

If they don't, well, the youngsters played a good season and exceeded expectations, which bodes well for the future.

I for one did not expect to be discussing meaningful baseball with a week left.

Maybe the team rallies and gets hot. That would be awesome.
Expecting it? Not really.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Is this a choke? Nows a good time to review the Heimlick manuever for all

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazz32 View Post
Really really hoping I use the playoff tix I got in the mail today... but I hear Jim Mora`s voice in my head saying "Playoffs??".
I'm hearing the second part of that quote:

"I just hope we can win another game."
Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Myers gives up a rocket which looks even worse in a hitter's ballpark. Plus, he can't be used at all against teams like Detroit and especially KC..
What do you base that on??? Myers appeared in 4 games against Detroit and he only allowed 1 hit and no runs.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
What are the Sox, 6-12 against the Royals? What if we went .500, 9-9? We would still be in first place by two games. Is that really so unreasonable for us to expect?
And if they'd won at least 3 more games from the Tiggers,they would have been 9-9 against them as well. If,if,if...
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 AM
WSI High Priest

It does suck, but at the same time a win tonight and a Tigers loss ties us again for 1st.

It's not likely, but I'm holding out hope they snap out if it now that they're chasing. Stranger things have happened.

"Whose car are we gonna take?"
Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
Is this a choke? Nows a good time to review the Heimlick manuever for all
No. Largest lead was 3 games.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
No. Largest lead was 3 games.
Not about the size of the lead for me.

The Sox held a three game cushion nine days ago and lost four games in the standings since.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:37 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
Not about the size of the lead for me.

The Sox held a three game cushion nine days ago and lost four games in the standings since.
You can call it choke or whatever, it really doesn't matter, it's all really meaningless rhetoric anyway. I think people are taking exception to the term "colossal" or "epic" or whatever choke job. The Sox never had a real hold on this division, plenty of teams in baseball history that have lead a division by 3 games have gone on to bow out. This will sting us, but nobody is going to put the Sox in the category of say, the '69 Cubs, '64 Phillies, or '11 Red Sox and Braves.