White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 01:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
It happened because this team's "MVP" has an OBP of .329. That's not good enough to be in the top 75.

Too many power hitters who can't get on base is what we have been seeing for weeks.

Edit: That sentence may not read well. Having a lot of power hitters is not a problem. Having a bunch of low OBP guys is.
Also we are so ****ing slow. Three hits to start, no runs. Three would score, But if we had wheels we would have had more.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:29 AM
WSI Prelate

I was at the game. The crowd pretty much knew it was over when the Indians first tied it at 3. people were there to get drunk - not rowdy and loud drunk, more like drowning sorrows drunk - and think about what could have been. The crowd wasn't loud because there wasn't a ton to be loud about, but I moved all around the lower deck and came across lots of people with good insights into everything that the team was doing wrong.

I guess that was "fun."

Anyway, dead team. I do not blame anyone for not throwing the cash down to go out when the team is 1-7 in its last 8 and plays like it has this month. Robin is managing like he has no experience at all (wait, he doesn't?) and the Sox are playing like the team the prognosticators we all love predicted them to be before the season.

Oh, and where are all Detroit's September callup relievers? Coming in during high leverage situations? I missed them if they did.

It's not over, because 1 game with 7 left is nothing, but do any of you see anything with this team that gives you hope other than that 1 being such a low number?

Really, the game was lost when they couldn't put more than 3 on the board when Masterson wanted to hand them the game in the first. From that point on, it was just waiting for the inevitable - which dragged out way too damn long.

By the end, there were me and maybe 4,000 others left. A sad evening.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-27-2012, 01:32 AM
WSI Regular

Just another crappy September for the Sox. What's new?
Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

That's the million dollar question. If Hahn can answer that he'll be ahead of the game by a lot moving on in the future.

Lip
Lip,

I havent looked through the stats but it seems as though Sox "star" players during those years usually dont have a great second half. It seems as though if a "star" is really hot its in the 1st half not second.

Maybe its the type of "star" players the Sox have had over the those years. Some good players are money players, some are not and the Sox just didnt have those type of players.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:39 AM
WSI High Priest

2008 taught me that the season is not complete until we have played the entire schedule. I'll tune in again tomorrow and hope the team I watched all season comes back to play rather than these imposters who have played the last 8 games.

On a side note, this umpire tonight had a brutal K-zone. Jones threw two beautiful sliders that locked up Santana that were called balls. He threw a similar pitch to Lillibridge in that same inning that also wasn't called.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 09-27-2012, 01:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I was at the game. The crowd pretty much knew it was over when the Indians first tied it at 3. people were there to get drunk - not rowdy and loud drunk, more like drowning sorrows drunk - and think about what could have been. The crowd wasn't loud because there wasn't a ton to be loud about, but I moved all around the lower deck and came across lots of people with good insights into everything that the team was doing wrong.

Oh, and where are all Detroit's September callup relievers? Coming in during high leverage situations? I missed them if they did.

First bold: Mood was like that on twitter, facebook etc. as well.

It continues to baffle me the use of September call ups in high pressure situations. If you go with Santiago tonight, your back up plan can't be Omio****ingrosso after pitching 2.1 innings last night.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:50 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
2008 taught me that the season is not complete until we have played the entire schedule. I'll tune in again tomorrow and hope the team I watched all season comes back to play rather than these imposters who have played the last 8 games.

On a side note, this umpire tonight had a brutal K-zone. Jones threw two beautiful sliders that locked up Santana that were called balls. He threw a similar pitch to Lillibridge in that same inning that also wasn't called.
That sweep in Minnesota was one of the lowest moments I can remember as a Sox fan. I thought for sure they had blown it again in September. I was very glad to be wrong. Those 3 games in 3 days in 3 cities needing 3 wins was nuts.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringHomeDaBacon View Post
As an aside, it was totally moronic to pinch run for Dunn. There was no reason whatsoever for that move. He was standing on second while down 6-4. All it did was remove the bat from a potential extra innings affair with no advantage gained at all.
Bingo. That move was beyond embarrassing.

No reason whatsoever to start Santiago in such a big game. The game was lost before it started. We got what we asked for there.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
That sweep in Minnesota was one of the lowest moments I can remember as a Sox fan. I thought for sure they had blown it again in September. I was very glad to be wrong. Those 3 games in 3 days in 3 cities needing 3 wins was nuts.
That was the lowest for me. That Friday morning I woke up angry as hell. It was easily noticeable in public.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:59 AM
WSI Guru

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but the Sox were at home for all of the three games, three days, three different teams.

They beat Cleveland at the Cell Sunday, Detroit Monday, Minnesota Tuesday becoming the first team in MLB history to beat three different opponents in three straight days.

Lip
Old 09-27-2012, 03:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

The Indians came to play; the White Sox didn't. The White Sox are folding like a lawn chair.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's time for...

If you can keep your head when all about you. Are losing theirs and blaming it on you, If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, But make allowance for, etc.

Keep your heads boys.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Don't slit your wrists over this team coming up short, they are the 8th best team in the AL and there were too many shortcomings to expect anything more than what we got. I picked them for 86 wins and second place and it looks like that is what we will get. Yes it does hurt to lose the division when you come this close but when you have to trot out guys like Liriano and Santiago in huge games and rely on mostly rookies in your bullpen you can't expect anything better. It didn't help that Dunn, Konerko and Dunn came up short in the second half.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 09-27-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Our roster is top-heavy, but our best players are just not as good as Detroit's.

DeAza v. Jackson?

Dunn v. Cabrera?

Paulie v. Fielder?

Viciedo v. Delmon Young?

Even Andy Dirks is out-performing Rios, for a lot less money.

That's not a choke.

We have better fielders, but we neuter that advantage by surrendering so many walks.

That is the very definition of a choke.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:33 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmorri View Post
I can see the Tiggers going on an 8 game tear from here...I'm thinking it's pretty well ovah.
Heh, not sure what Tiger team you've been watching