White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Old 09-26-2012, 11:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Tragg:

According to Robin, Wise started because he had better career numbers against Masterson. Robin is clearly a percentage / numbers type manager.
For goodness sakes, these percentages of batter X v pitcher Y have such small sample sizes that they are virtually meaningless. Ventura doesn't know **** about statistics if that's his explanation.
Here's a statistic for him....264 OBP in 1000 at bats.
And if we want small sample sizes of recency, 1/15 coming into tonight.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:13 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick134 View Post
I wouldnt call the whole run a choke. the angels have a better record than the sox in a tough division. the indians losses you have a point.
The two losses in Kansas City also. The Sox played horrendous baseball in those two games.

It's a choke because the manager and the players have started doing out of character things.

The Sox weren't in first place for most of the summer because they were bunting in the fourth inning of a tie game. Things of that nature are just panic moves.

I think Robin and Coop have outdumbed themselves with some of these pitching moves as well. I understand the Indians suck against left-handed pitching and all, but I don't think it was a smart move to spot start Santiago in such a critical game. Even if he had done well, you knew he'd last no more than five innings.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-26-2012, 11:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
A couple of questions.
I thought our rotation was this: Sale, Peavy, Floyd, Liriano, Quintana. Is someone hurt? After all, this is crunch time, we are pitching sale 120 innings a start. We're now using a 6th starter in the deep stretch?

Viciedo has had 2 straight games in which he hit well. He's 3 for his last 6. He's 8 for his last 28 with 2 homers and 5 walks.
Wise is 0 for his last 16, and 7 for his last 35 with no homers and zero walks. it's the same story with Wise year after year: he's one of the worst hitters in baseball, and his rare hits come in bunches. The bunch has been over for 2 weeks.
Ventura benches Viciedo after a big game, Ozzie-style.
Seriously, is there some fog in the Sox Dugout and administrative office that makes people believe that Wise is a good hitter?

Can we please play our best players?
But I don't think there's any difference at this point. If you could point at one hitter who's doing badly that would be one thing. But so many guys aren't hitting.

Viciedo has just as many hits as strikeouts this month. His hit and strikeout average in September is .241, Wise is hitting .281. Even taking strengths and weakness and career numbers into effect at best it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.

I had such high hopes for Viciedo, but at this point, I'm not sure if he's back next year, since Boras will surely try to get him a huge raise (for his 22 HRs) in his first arbitration year for what otherwise is subpar production. I can only hope we can do better than Wise for our bench bats next year, which is another cause of our late September choke.

What I do take issue is with all these call-ups put in pressure situations the last two weeks. It's not find out what you have in the minors time, it's a damn pennant race.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Holy Cow, we walked 12 guys tonight. 12 guys in a bad lineup. This is just being too scared to play good baseball. 12 walks is pathetic, spineless pitching.
Another reason I used the word "choke."

12 walks = cowardice.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:15 PM
WSI Personality

Just when it looks like it's over, we're gonna get back up.

Don't give up yet. Let's put some more of the "fanatic" in "fan"! Tomorrow's another day!
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Holy Cow, we walked 12 guys tonight. 12 guys in a bad lineup. This is just being too scared to play good baseball. 12 walks is pathetic, spineless pitching.
It could have been over early, but as usual, a slow death instead. Not a good outing at all... Seems like if it could go wrong, it is, right now..

Here's hoping the Tigers pull a 64 Phillies and the Sox go on a 7-0 run. Hey, I can dream, cant I?

BK50
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

Viciedo has just as many hits as strikeouts this month. His hit and strikeout average in September is .241, Wise is hitting .281. Even taking strengths and weakness and career numbers into effect at best it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.
No it isn't; Wise is horrible, except in his 2 week stretches that happen a few times a season.
What's a hit and strikeout average?
WSI Guru

Quote:
For goodness sakes, these percentages of batter X v pitcher Y have such small sample sizes that they are virtually meaningless. Ventura doesn't know **** about statistics if that's his explanation.
Here's a statistic for him....264 OBP in 1000 at bats.
And if we want small sample sizes of recency, 1/15 coming into tonight.
You don't even need to look at splits to see that homer-hungry Wise is worthless once his luck runs out. I'd rather have Hudson up there because he's at least proven he can grind out an at-bat late in a game by fouling off pitches and drawing a walk. Wise is swinging through everything with that dumbass upper cut swing.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
No it isn't; Wise is horrible, except in his 2 week stretches that happen a few times a season.
What's a hit and strikeout average?
My snide remark that Tank's batting average is the same as his strikeouts per at-bat this month.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
You don't even need to look at splits to see that homer-hungry Wise is worthless once his luck runs out. I'd rather have Hudson up there because he's at least proven he can grind out an at-bat late in a game by fouling off pitches and drawing a walk. Wise is swinging through everything with that dumbass upper cut swing.

Wise did have that big bases loaded single to tie that monday makeup game against the tigers. While that doesnt sound huge, the sox have only won 2 games since then.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Sox are under .500 when they don't face the Twins.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 PM
WSI Prelate

I was at the game tonight and I wanted to come back here and yell and scream and point fingers and scream for someone's head, but I think the simple fact here is that the White Sox ran out of gas here at the end.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 PM
WSI Regular

Well Beckham is hitting this month and has a .400 BA with great OPS against Shields. If he isnt batting second tomorrow and is hidden at the back of the lineup then the inmates are running things.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 PM
WSI Personality

As an aside, it was totally moronic to pinch run for Dunn. There was no reason whatsoever for that move. He was standing on second while down 6-4. All it did was remove the bat from a potential extra innings affair with no advantage gained at all.