White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

I dont care if its Hawk, DJ, Stoney or Farms, as long as the final words are "Thats a Sox winner!" is all I care

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 09-26-2012, 06:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I would not want it any other way, I want my announcer to be a homer.
''Don't stop now Hawk''.
No one ever had any problem with ''Thats a White Sox wallop and a box of White Owl Cigars'' or ''Hey Hey That a way Minnie'' or '' Oh Oh for a long one''.
The problem isn't just that he's a homer. The problem is that he's bad at broadcasting.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
You don't have to watch more than 3 Sox games in order to get Hawk's entire soundboard he calls an announcing career.
That may be true however it does not explain the fact that Cubbie fans love to say they ignore the Sox, pay the Sox no attention, blah blah blah...but then talk about (bash) The Hawk, constantly. If you are claiming that it's just the 3 games a year that The Hawk broadcasts on the Cubs/Sox games that compels Cubbie fans to talk about The Hawk, then you are wrong. Cubbie fans talk more about The Hawk than they do about Andre Dawson.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 09-26-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
I wasn't around when he worked for the Sox, but I hear Thorne on occasion now and while I can see why people wouldn't like him...yes, I would take him over Hawk.

He's better now than when he was here .. i watch the orioles quite a bit and i enjoy when Gary Thorne and Jim Palmer are together
Old 09-26-2012, 09:43 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
The problem isn't just that he's a homer. The problem is that he's bad at broadcasting.
Basically, I don't care about the homerism, I actually like that. Who would want bland objectivity from their hometown team's PBP guy?

It's just that Hawk sucks. He's a walking sound board and has an "Aw shucks" Southern drawl that I personally do not like. But I have no problem with him openly rooting for the Sox.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins
Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Why are you "glad" that Vin Scully is relatively unbiased?
Why should any Sox fan care that Scully is relatively unbiased? How does that affect the enjoyment of any game for a Sox fan? I'm not asking rhetorically, I really would like to know.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Basically, I don't care about the homerism, I actually like that. Who would want bland objectivity from their hometown team's PBP guy?

It's just that Hawk sucks. He's a walking sound board and has an "Aw shucks" Southern drawl that I personally do not like. But I have no problem with him openly rooting for the Sox.
Personally, I don't mind Hawk rooting for the Sox when something good happens. But I can't stand his sulking and silence when things go bad. I don't always have my eyes glued to the set when a game is on, so it would be nice if Hawk would actually say something when there's a key play -- even if it's an opponent's home run or a Sox strike out.

I can see how his "angry shutdown mode" might appeal to most diehard fans, but I doubt it does a lot to attract casual fans, kids, and new viewers to the broadcasts.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Why should any Sox fan care that Scully is relatively unbiased? How does that affect the enjoyment of any game for a Sox fan? I'm not asking rhetorically, I really would like to know.
I'm just trying to figure out what Heather meant by "I'm glad [Scully] is on the bottom of this list [meaning he is quite impartial]"
Old 09-26-2012, 10:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post

Personally, I don't mind Hawk rooting for the Sox when something good happens. But I can't stand his sulking and silence when things go bad. I don't always have my eyes glued to the set when a game is on, so it would be nice if Hawk would actually say something when there's a key play -- even if it's an opponent's home run or a Sox strike out.

I can see how his "angry shutdown mode" might appeal to most diehard fans, but I doubt it does a lot to attract casual fans, kids, and new viewers to the broadcasts.
What they want are viewers and they know that people will turn to the Sox game just to hear/see Hawk's response.

Hate Hawk or love Hawk, Hawk boosts ratings.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
That may be true however it does not explain the fact that Cubbie fans love to say they ignore the Sox, pay the Sox no attention, blah blah blah...but then talk about (bash) The Hawk, constantly. If you are claiming that it's just the 3 games a year that The Hawk broadcasts on the Cubs/Sox games that compels Cubbie fans to talk about The Hawk, then you are wrong. Cubbie fans talk more about The Hawk than they do about Andre Dawson.
Every fan base knows how biased and bad Hawk is. EVERY FAN BASE. Especially when you live in the same city the guy broadcasts in. That last sentence coming from you is hilarious. Blaming a fan base for caring about something other than their team.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
Hawk has gone from "homer" to "cartoon" and I think that's unfortunate.
Maybe it's just me, but I think he's toned it down some this year.

Quote:
You don't have to watch more than 3 Sox games in order to get Hawk's entire soundboard he calls an announcing career.
That's true of almost all sports announcers. There's only so many ways you can say things, and they like to develop "trademark" calls. Hell, Caray was absolutely overflowing with them.

Quote:
In your opinion.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 09-26-2012, 12:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Every fan base knows how biased and bad Hawk is. EVERY FAN BASE. Especially when you live in the same city the guy broadcasts in. That last sentence coming from you is hilarious. Blaming a fan base for caring about something other than their team.
Here's the thing, I don't care if Cubs fans talk about the Sox. I don't care if Sox fans talk about the Cubs. I think it's only natural to do so.

What I said and you conveniently glossed over in your haste to post that petty personal shot is that Cub fans say they ignore the Sox, never pay them any attention so then why does Hawk bother them so?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I think he's toned it down some this year.

That's true of almost all sports announcers. There's only so many ways you can say things, and they like to develop "trademark" calls. Hell, Caray was absolutely overflowing with them.

In your opinion.
To a couple of the regulars it's not an opinion, it's established fact, an incontrovertible truth.

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 09-26-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I have noticed that one of the first things I get made fun of if someone outside Chicago is making fun of me for being a Sox fan is Hawk. His homerism is widely known.

I actually like him still. As much as I cringe at some of his schtick, I still prefer it to none.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-26-2012, 12:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post

I have noticed that one of the first things I get made fun of if someone outside Chicago is making fun of me for being a Sox fan is Hawk. His homerism is widely known.

I actually like him still. As much as I cringe at some of his schtick, I still prefer it to none.
Hawk is a larger than life type personality, he always has been. Chicago magazine recently had an article that was about that. Hawk's personality, his shtick well it's not as though Chicago won't accept that, see Harry Caray and well Ron Santo except for that Santo was a radio broadcaster who had great difficultly speaking.