White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Melky Cabrera: "disqualify me from batting title"

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/09/...t-own-request/
Old 09-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Banned

I'm actually glad that he's asked for this, but it remains to be seen if MLB actually grants his request.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Good
Old 09-21-2012, 08:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Players’ Association worked out a one-time amendment to Rule 10.22(a) with MLB officials on Thursday.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-s...9&feedID=10850
Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 PM
WSI Personality

Smart move. People resent those that try to deny they used PEDs; it shows he has some class and is regretful.

You can't play baseball without Pants.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Official Professor

I've linked to this guy before. I'm still amazed that our small-town paper, the Mankato Free Press, has as good a baseball writer as he is. Anyway, I learned some interesting things about past commissioners messing with the batting title before:

http://mankatofreepress.com/sportsco...-Melky-Cabrera

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Numbers don't lie. There will/should be as asterisk next to the name of whoever wins the 2012 NL batting title.

If MLB doesn't like juicers winning accolades they should figure out a way to stop them. Rules are rules and MLB is only setting a precedent with this.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 AM
WSI Personality

I think it's a way to make him look better. Let him keep his batting title and that way everyone will remember he won a batting title as a juicer. If he's so honorable why did he try and lie and cheat the steroid police. He should be giving up his All-Star MVP too. I know he's eligible for the playoffs but at this point he should just show some class and sit it out instead of trying to get the Giants to let him play. He's too much of a distraction and that can't be good for a team in the playoffs.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Numbers don't lie. There will/should be as asterisk next to the name of whoever wins the 2012 NL batting title.

If MLB doesn't like juicers winning accolades they should figure out a way to stop them. Rules are rules and MLB is only setting a precedent with this.
Test everyone after every game. If a player tests positive, the players' records don't count and his team forfeits.

You can't say records don't count for the individual if the team wins to which the player contributed count. You can't not count Barry Bonds' home runs and still give the Giants the 2002 NL title.

As for Cabrera, I dubt this was a classy move that sprung from his imagination. I am guessing baseball went to him and said that he would have a better chance of being employed by a baseball team in the future if he renounced his claim to a batting title that would only make baseball look bad.

I don't see Cabrera ever playing for the Giants again.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Good for you, Melky.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Test everyone after every game. If a player tests positive, the players' records don't count and his team forfeits.

You can't say records don't count for the individual if the team wins to which the player contributed count. You can't not count Barry Bonds' home runs and still give the Giants the 2002 NL title.

As for Cabrera, I dubt this was a classy move that sprung from his imagination. I am guessing baseball went to him and said that he would have a better chance of being employed by a baseball team in the future if he renounced his claim to a batting title that would only make baseball look bad.

I don't see Cabrera ever playing for the Giants again.
Is this fair, though? Other award-winners have been found guilty of PED use, yet they've not been asked to vacate awards that they've won. Why should baseball single out Melky Cabrera?

Please note, I'm not condoning what he did, and am glad that he's not going to win the batting title, but I don't see why MLB would allow this and not punish other cheaters who benefited from PED use.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Is this fair, though? Other award-winners have been found guilty of PED use, yet they've not been asked to vacate awards that they've won. Why should baseball single out Melky Cabrera?

Please note, I'm not condoning what he did, and am glad that he's not going to win the batting title, but I don't see why MLB would allow this and not punish other cheaters who benefited from PED use.
Cabrera's situation is unique. He is the only player to be suspended for a substance abuse violation midseason while leading the league in hitting. Jason Giambi won an MVP and much later admitted to steroid use. He certainly wasn't suspended during his MVP season. Ryan Braun was suspended immediately after his MVP season but successfully fought procedure. Most players who are considered cheaters, especially Barry Bonds, have situations far more ambiguous.

There really is nothing to compare to the Cabrera situation, who remains the All-Star Game MVP. He has the league's highest batting average among qualifiers but missed the last grinding stage of the season when averages often fall, and he missed it because he was found in-season to be using a banned performance-enhancing substance. Winning a league batting title is a huge deal. Of course there will be an asterisk next to the winner referring to Cabrera's situation, but I don't believe baseball wants to recognize someone suspended for cheating in-season with one of the triple-crown batting crowns for that season.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post

I posted before about this and that's to just accept PEDs as part of the game, as part of the competition and just make whatever distinctions or separations you want in the record books between the different eras. Of course that means taking more responsibility in not making these players out to be gods and role models, but that's on us to begin with anyway, whether they would follow through with an idea like that or not.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Roarman View Post
I posted before about this and that's to just accept PEDs as part of the game, as part of the competition and just make whatever distinctions or separations you want in the record books between the different eras. Of course that means taking more responsibility in not making these players out to be gods and role models, but that's on us to begin with anyway, whether they would follow through with an idea like that or not.
The problem with that is that you are putting players and aspiring players in a position to substantially reduce their quality of live to have a better chance of succeeding at the game.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:14 PM
MMXXIII

Players are already in that situation, though. In subsequent years, you've had an MVP and batting champ test positive for PEDs. You think anyone who strives to be an MLB player isn't aware of the choice he has to make?