White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 01:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
For those of you who think Hawk can be overbearing,would you rather have Gary Thorne back?? And how unlistenable would games be with John Sterling at the mike??

Just asking.
I wasn't around when he worked for the Sox, but I hear Thorne on occasion now and while I can see why people wouldn't like him...yes, I would take him over Hawk.

And John Sterling might be the worst play-by-play man not named Hawk Harrelson, so he's not really the alternative here. The way Hawk calls a game is just as bad as the way Sterling does.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
I wasn't around when he worked for the Sox, but I hear Thorne on occasion now and while I can see why people wouldn't like him...yes, I would take him over Hawk.

And John Sterling might be the worst play-by-play man not named Hawk Harrelson, so he's not really the alternative here. The way Hawk calls a game is just as bad as the way Sterling does.
Thorne worked for the Sox doing television PBP in the late 80's.
The man who came after he left?? Hawk.

And as far as Hawk being as bad as Sterling,there are a few times when you have a valid point.Whenever I hear "Don't stop now,boys",I want to throw rocks at my HD screen.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:29 PM
WSI Guru

Regarding the idea that Yankee announcers aren't biased is ludicrous...totally, completely nuts.

Yankee announcers HAVE BEEN FIRED because they were to critical of the team. (Example #1 Jim Kaat who when he was hired back had it written into his contract that he could not be fired for giving his opinion on the team even if it was critical...)

Lip
Old 09-25-2012, 07:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Don't we have that problem in our radio booth. I haven't listened to radio broadcasts since 2005 barring a couple of innings here and there and every time I am in the car I rush home to turn the tv on and the radio off. If that is what I have to be subjected to, I hope the sox hire another homer.
The radio booth is just really awful overall.

The radio team has many problems, but being "straight down the middle" professionals is not one of them.

I actually listen to fewer Sox games when driving than I would otherwise because of how much I can't stand Farmer and DJ.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Because he thinks he sucks? Plenty of people tear down Hawk every chance they get due to their own personal preference.

I don't like Scully much, either.
Scully's as boring as they come. When I'm watching sports, I want to hear passion. Telling the "facts and only the facts" displays zero passion. I'd rather watch Golf TV than listen to Scully. I'm glad he's at the bottom of this list.

22 Other Games I have (all season tickets):
11/2 vs. Winnipeg, 11/7 vs. Washington, 11/9 vs. San Jose, 11/16 vs. Dallas, 12/5 vs. Montreal, 12/16 vs. Minnesota, 12/21 vs. Toronto, 12/23 vs. Winnipeg, 1/4 vs. Dallas, 1/6 vs. Colorado, 1/16 vs. Winnipeg, 1/18 vs. Dallas, 1/20 vs. Arizona, 2/9 vs. Arizona, 2/11 vs. Vancouver, 2/20 vs. Colorado, 2/22 vs. Boston, 3/6 vs. Edmonton, 3/17 vs. New York Islanders, 3/27 vs. Columbus, 3/30 vs. Los Angeles, 4/2 vs. Vancouver
Old 09-25-2012, 08:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
I'm glad he's at the bottom of this list.
I don't think this list means what you think it means.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassSox View Post
We could have told the Wall Street Journal a long time ago that Hawk is the # 1 homer but he is our homer.
I prefer not to claim him.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:13 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
I don't think this list means what you think it means.
I know what the list means.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Scully's as boring as they come. When I'm watching sports, I want to hear passion. Telling the "facts and only the facts" displays zero passion. I'd rather watch Golf TV than listen to Scully. I'm glad he's at the bottom of this list.
C'mon. Where else are you going to hear stories about ice skating with Jackie Robinson?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I know what the list means.
Why are you "glad" that Vin Scully is relatively unbiased?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 AM
WSI High Priest

I love The Hawk. I love that Hawk is not a clone of the other bland, vanilla announcers.

Cubbie fans in particular love to bash The Hawk (then say they never watch Sox games...) but they warmly embraced Harry Caray who allowed much of his personality to be neutered but his homerism for the Cubbies was warmly embraced by Cubbie fans.

If the Sox foist some broadcaster with all the unique personality of a strip mall in place of The Hawk you can bet that Sox TV ratings will drop.

You keep going Hawk!

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 AM
WSI High Priest

I enjoy Hawk. I used to really love the Hawk. He was great until he became a caricature of himself.

If I lived out of market as a fan of another team and only had the Sox feed to watch, I'd want to throw my TV out the window when the Sox do something great. I love that

A broadcaster for a specific team should have a rooting interest in the team that pays him and it should be noticeable.

Hawk has gone from "homer" to "cartoon" and I think that's unfortunate.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

I realize that it's not that scientific of a poll, but they listened to one game from each team and determined who has the biggest homers? Good lord. That's just plain lazy. At the very least, take a week's worth of games.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
I love The Hawk. I love that Hawk is not a clone of the other bland, vanilla announcers.

Cubbie fans in particular love to bash The Hawk (then say they never watch Sox games...) but they warmly embraced Harry Caray who allowed much of his personality to be neutered but his homerism for the Cubbies was warmly embraced by Cubbie fans.

If the Sox foist some broadcaster with all the unique personality of a strip mall in place of The Hawk you can bet that Sox TV ratings will drop.

You keep going Hawk!
You don't have to watch more than 3 Sox games in order to get Hawk's entire soundboard he calls an announcing career.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:23 AM
WSI High Priest

I would not want it any other way, I want my announcer to be a homer.
''Don't stop now Hawk''.
No one ever had any problem with ''Thats a White Sox wallop and a box of White Owl Cigars'' or ''Hey Hey That a way Minnie'' or '' Oh Oh for a long one''.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 09-26-2012 at 06:29 AM.