White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 AM
WSI Regular

Default Wall Street Journal: How Biased Is Your Announcer?

The conclusion is predictable. Some good comments from Hawk:

Quote:
"You just made my day," Harrelson said when told of his place in the biased standings. "That's the biggest compliment you could give me, to call me the biggest homer in baseball."
Kudos to the Wall Street Journal for actually interviewing Hawk about his announcing style, rather than just bashing him. But it's probably not fair to do this so late in the season when so many teams are out of the race and the announcers don't have much to root for.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
The conclusion is predictable. Some good comments from Hawk:

Kudos to the Wall Street Journal for actually interviewing Hawk about his announcing style, rather than just bashing him. But it's probably not fair to do this so late in the season when so many teams are out of the race and the announcers don't have much to root for.

"I looooove it when you analyze."
Old 09-25-2012, 10:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Let's just win the World Series this year and have Hawk ride off into the sunset.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 AM
WSI Prelate

I love Hawk. He is a homer like me and that's perfectly fine, no one else I would rather hear running down a division race.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Hawk embraces the criticism....I like that. He is old enough to just tell them to go kiss his arse.

As the comments on this story show....their are other fanbases that wish their guys were as passionate for their teams.

As was pointed out, Hawk compliments opposing teams and players more than most broadcasters also. He just loves baseball,and good baseball players,no matter the uniform.

Sox fans will miss him when he is gone and we have an Albert-clone on the broadcast,who is neutral,and vanilla.....hey,gang,it is still supposed to be entertainment!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
Hawk embraces the criticism....I like that. He is old enough to just tell them to go kiss his arse.

As the comments on this story show....their are other fanbases that wish their guys were as passionate for their teams.

As was pointed out, Hawk compliments opposing teams and players more than most broadcasters also. He just loves baseball,and good baseball players,no matter the uniform.

Sox fans will miss him when he is gone and we have an Albert-clone on the broadcast,who is neutral,and vanilla.....hey,gang,it is still supposed to be entertainment!
Don't we have that problem in our radio booth. I haven't listened to radio broadcasts since 2005 barring a couple of innings here and there and every time I am in the car I rush home to turn the tv on and the radio off. If that is what I have to be subjected to, I hope the sox hire another homer.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

LOL @ Red Sox and Yankee broadcasts not having any homerism in them. They don't need that - ESPN fulfills that task for them well beyond even what a White Sox broadcast does for the White Sox.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Official Professor

Fairly recently I turned on a Dodgers game late at night. Extra innings, Dodgers in scoring position, and to listen to Scully you would never know which team he works for. He couldn't have been less excited if he'd been tranquilized. It was like he was doing a Joe Friday "just the facts, ma'am" imitation. I hope we never come to that.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Fairly recently I turned on a Dodgers game late at night. Extra innings, Dodgers in scoring position, and to listen to Scully you would never know which team he works for. He couldn't have been less excited if he'd been tranquilized. It was like he was doing a Joe Friday "just the facts, ma'am" imitation. I hope we never come to that.
Funny you should mention that, I was just talking to a friend that lives up in the Valley and I mentioned that Scully really has a calming, soothing voice and that I'm sure there is a place for that. Just not sports

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Having had XM since 2006, I can tell you that most announcers are terrible, even many of the "great" ones.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

We could have told the Wall Street Journal a long time ago that Hawk is the # 1 homer but he is our homer.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatK View Post
Having had XM since 2006, I can tell you that most announcers are terrible, even many of the "great" ones.
Kind of sad they limited this to local team announcers, since there's plenty of so called "national" announcers that are vastly more biased than Hawk.

IMO, Berman would have his own category.

The beauty of Hawk is that he doesn't try to hide it. It's his calling card.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
That's how he likes it. A lot of people appreciate him for that.

I don't see why you have to tear him down everytime he's mentioned.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:18 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post

That's how he likes it. A lot of people appreciate him for that.

I don't see why you have to tear him down everytime he's mentioned.
Because he thinks he sucks? Plenty of people tear down Hawk every chance they get due to their own personal preference.

I don't like Scully much, either.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:19 PM
WSI High Priest

For those of you who think Hawk can be overbearing,would you rather have Gary Thorne back?? And how unlistenable would games be with John Sterling at the mike??

Just asking.