White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 12:13 PM
WSI High Priest

I have mixed feelings on this year, I picked them for 86 wins and 2nd place and that was based on comeback years by Dunn, Rios and Peavy. All 3 have done well, it would be nice if Dunn could hit .250. Peavy has had a little letdown in the 2nd half and Rios has been real good all year. PK had a great first half but his injuries have hurt his production, a normal year by PK probably wins the division. Will I be dissapointed if we don't win the division? Yes, but not devastated as this team has some flaws and is not the 2005 White Sox.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I have mixed feelings on this year, I picked them for 86 wins and 2nd place and that was based on comeback years by Dunn, Rios and Peavy. All 3 have done well, it would be nice if Dunn could hit .250. Peavy has had a little letdown in the 2nd half and Rios has been real good all year. PK had a great first half but his injuries have hurt his production, a normal year by PK probably wins the division. Will I be dissapointed if we don't win the division? Yes, but not devastated as this team has some flaws and is not the 2005 White Sox.
I'm kind of there too. I mean, yeah, this would be a choke, but the only reason why the Sox are in contention for a division IS because of the division they are in. Unless you're over 90 wins, you're not that good anyway, so it's not a team to lose sleep over.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:47 PM
WSI Guru

Dunn had a great first half. He's been M.I.A. since the All Star Break.

Lip
Old 09-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
I'm kind of there too. I mean, yeah, this would be a choke, but the only reason why the Sox are in contention for a division IS because of the division they are in. Unless you're over 90 wins, you're not that good anyway, so it's not a team to lose sleep over.
I'm currently entering the preseason predictions into the scoring page. I have yet to see a single person predict the Sox to win the division and only have had one person predict a WC. No one on this board expected this team to be where they are at the moment. This whole season has been like a 5.5 month long surprise party so far.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-22-2012, 01:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Dunn had a great first half. He's been M.I.A. since the All Star Break.

Lip
1st half: 84 Games, .208/24/61 134 K
2nd half: 56 Games, .210/15/29 68 K

I wouldn't say that's M.I.A. Overall production is down, but his per game average isn't all that different.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I'm currently entering the preseason predictions into the scoring page. I have yet to see a single person predict the Sox to win the division and only have had one person predict a WC. No one on this board expected this team to be where they are at the moment. This whole season has been like a 5.5 month long surprise party so far.
I think you can have preseason expectations and also change those expectations as the year goes on. Chris Sale pitching like an ace, a healthy Peavy, Rios, Dunn, Konerko in April and May, AJ, Youkilis move, Quintana (who?), Jones, Reed for a while....there have been a ton of unexpected things this season, but those things happened while the Tigers played bad defense and didn't hit as much as they should have in the first half.

By late August, the Sox were in a position to play a favorable schedule to get to 90 wins. If they don't get there now, it's a disappointment. If they don't make it to the postseason, I'll look at some of the individual things as a success this season, but ultimately they would be the 6th, 7th, or 8th best team in the American League, and that's just not good enough...again.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:26 PM
WSI Guru

Sox 1970;

Agreed, good post.

MZH: The drop in home runs and RBI's is dramatic. That's what he's being paid for, not batting average (although it would really help if he could hit even .250...)

Lip
Old 09-22-2012, 01:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Sox 1970;

Agreed, good post.

MZH: The drop in home runs and RBI's is dramatic. That's what he's being paid for, not batting average (although it would really help if he could hit even .250...)

Lip
The drop is dramatic but he's played in a bit more half the number of games. Either way, Konerko, Youk and AJ slumping have had far more to do with the Sox troubles than Dunn IMO.

That and Peavy not being able to beat anyone not from Minnesota...
Old 09-22-2012, 01:45 PM
WSI Guru

I agree with this but Dunn has not had a good second half by any standard.

Lip
Old 09-22-2012, 01:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carneyman14 View Post
"Sit back, Relax, Strap it down.....White Sox Baseball"
"Sit back"...yes.

"Strap it down" -if we're not strapped down by now, the Roller Coaster would have fallen off the tracks and injured the fans.

"Relax"- White Sox fans NEVER relax.Too much can go wrong.For example,the last 3 games against the Royals and Halos.

My nervous system is working overtime at this point.Cool on the outside,freaking out on the inside.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Exclamation

Quote:
I agree with this but Dunn has not had a good second half by any standard.

Lip
Kevin Youkilis and Paul Konerko, where for art thou??
Old 09-22-2012, 02:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post

"Sit back"...yes.

"Strap it down" -if we're not strapped down by now, the Roller Coaster would have fallen off the tracks and injured the fans.

"Relax"- White Sox fans NEVER relax.Too much can go wrong.For example,the last 3 games against the Royals and Halos.

My nervous system is working overtime at this point.Cool on the outside,freaking out on the inside.
Definitely the same, I have made progress in the sense that I no longer need to punch anything to show frustration.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Definitely the same, I have made progress in the sense that I no longer need to punch anything to show frustration.
I'm a silent observer from now until the last Cleveland series. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best until then. I'll save my energy for October 1st.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
I think you can have preseason expectations and also change those expectations as the year goes on. Chris Sale pitching like an ace, a healthy Peavy, Rios, Dunn, Konerko in April and May, AJ, Youkilis move, Quintana (who?), Jones, Reed for a while....there have been a ton of unexpected things this season, but those things happened while the Tigers played bad defense and didn't hit as much as they should have in the first half.

By late August, the Sox were in a position to play a favorable schedule to get to 90 wins. If they don't get there now, it's a disappointment. If they don't make it to the postseason, I'll look at some of the individual things as a success this season, but ultimately they would be the 6th, 7th, or 8th best team in the American League, and that's just not good enough...again.
I agree with this, but the point remains if back in March any of us knew for a fact the Sox would be 1.5 games up with ~10 days to go in the season we'd have been damned happy.

Oh and I finally found someone who predicted the Sox to win the division...
Old 09-22-2012, 03:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

I agree with this, but the point remains if back in March any of us knew for a fact the Sox would be 1.5 games up with ~10 days to go in the season we'd have been damned happy.

Oh and I finally found someone who predicted the Sox to win the division...
True but wait ten days and do the same thing.

If we lose the division you could do:

If someone told you that the white sox would be in dirt place the majority of the year only to lose it in the last 10 games and not make the playoffs, you would be pretty damn pissed.