White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 11:38 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I realize part of your shtick is to look down at anything smaller than 2.5 million people as something less than a "city," but for municipalities of a comparable size, that lie within a metro area so completely dominated by the central city, Joliet actually has a viable downtown.

Joliet's a fine location for minor league baseball, I've been to Silver Cross Field (or whatever it's called now) several times, it's a nice set up. Just pointing out the the fastest growing region in the Chicagoland area is the Loop. 80% population growth from 2000-2010, something like 150% growth from 1990-2010. Nothing in the 6-county area comes remotely close.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

Joliet's a fine location for minor league baseball, I've been to Silver Cross Field (or whatever it's called now) several times, it's a nice set up. Just pointing out the the fastest growing region in the Chicagoland area is the Loop. 80% population growth from 2000-2010, something like 150% growth from 1990-2010. Nothing in the 6-county area comes remotely close.
OK, but the Loop isn't a standalone city, it's a hot "neighborhood." Joliet is the fastest-growing city in Illinois.

Besides, the Loop already has a minor league team playing in an historic stadium a few miles North.

The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

This is from an article from the daily herald...

there are two levels of territorial play here, (MLB and MiLb) not just one -- but it doesn't matter, because there's very little chance of affiliated ball landing in Joliet any time soon. For starters, no Low Class A Midwest League teams looking to move; can't have an affiliated team if none is available.

But, more importantly, the Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox or the Kane County Cougars (Low Class A: Midwest League) signing off on a Joliet affiliated team (and yes, they all have territorial claims here): the three have been pretty resolute in dissuading other cities from seeking an affiliated team, and we don't see that changing any time soon.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:16 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
OK, but the Loop isn't a standalone city, it's a hot "neighborhood." Joliet is the fastest-growing city in Illinois.

Besides, the Loop already has a minor league team playing in an historic stadium a few miles North.

Yes, but the 1st place team in a beautiful stadium is just as close (actually closer; Sox are 3500 s. of course and Cubs 3400 n., but Sox are further east and thus closer) to the Loop.

Is Joliet still growing as quickly today, or has it suffered like many other exurbs in the foreclosure crisis?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:25 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
And Beliot, which lost the twins to Cedar Rapids.

There is no way that will happen. 1st the Cougars, White Sox, Cubs would have to ok the deal. I heard that South Bend and Beloit would too but I can't confirm it. 2nd what makes you think that Joliet would draw more then currently do? Just because they are affiliated? It may help initially help but that would die down after a year. 3rd the current owners of the Slammers would have to be bought out or it would have to wait til lease is up.
I like the idea of a White Sox A MWL team in Joliet. My biggest issue would be that I am in McHenry County, so I'd probably only see them when the play Kane County.

The White Sox were kind enough to allow a team in Kane County, a Joliet team wouldn't affect much in the way of Cubs attendance, so they should OK the deal The Joliet Slammers could simply move leagues, with the same ownership, then they would get a stocked roster, instead of having to assemble their own team.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp81 View Post
I like the idea of a White Sox A MWL team in Joliet. My biggest issue would be that I am in McHenry County, so I'd probably only see them when the play Kane County.

The White Sox were kind enough to allow a team in Kane County, a Joliet team wouldn't affect much in the way of Cubs attendance, so they should OK the deal The Joliet Slammers could simply move leagues, with the same ownership, then they would get a stocked roster, instead of having to assemble their own team.
I like the idea too but not going to happen. The Sox want all their teams close to each other. I was saddened when they moved out of South Bend years ago.