White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
The timing of this is just terrible. The only thing that should matter right now is winning so why in the hell would this come out now? Just awful. This will be the story for the rest of the season and it will get magnified with every loss.
How it plays in the media is one thing, but I don't see why this would affect the players in any way.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
How it plays in the media is one thing, but I don't see why this would affect the players in any way.

I sure hope so. Guess I'm just wound a little tight after the past two nights....just want to see this club winning.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
It's good. But they can do better. As the third major market in America, in the more competitive league, with the highest revenue teams like the Yanks, Carmines, etc., they can do better.

The Rangers and Angels have figured it out. I know that my team can do it.
This has been debunked. The Sox only have half of the third major market at their disposal. Call it 4.5M potential fans if they indeed can capture half the market, but again, the only thing that draws people to UCSF is baseball, there's no other reason to go, so it's not like they are located in the middle of tourist heaven ala the flubbies.

For reference sake, Detroit has 4.3, Minnesota has 3.1, Cleveland and KC both have ~2M.

Texas has exclusive rights to the D-FW area with 6.3M potential fans and one of the highest per capita levels of wealth in the country. They've made the playoffs 5 times since 1996, twice in the new millennium and won two pennants - both the last two years and no WS titles.

The Angels have 6M potential fans (half of the LA area( and again are located in an area with MASSIVE personal wealth. They have made the playoff 6 times since 2004 with one WS title to show for it.

It's not like these teams are significantly out performing the Sox.

The Sox have been spending like a big market team for several years too, some of those moves haven't worked out, but you can't say they haven't been trying.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-21-2012, 05:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The timing of this is just terrible. The only thing that should matter right now is winning so why in the hell would this come out now? Just awful. This will be the story for the rest of the season and it will get magnified with every loss.
But this is not a story... well, except for here.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:56 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
If they waited until the Sox miss the playoffs it would seem that the architect of Gio for Swisher-to-play-CF was being kicked upstairs because of his miserable performance. E.g., even with Dunn, Rios, and Peavy performing as projected, the team he built was a flop. Right now, at least for a few more days, they can pretend it was a reward for success.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
This has been debunked. The Sox only have half of the third major market at their disposal. Call it 4.5M potential fans if they indeed can capture half the market, but again, the only thing that draws people to UCSF is baseball, there's no other reason to go, so it's not like they are located in the middle of tourist heaven ala the flubbies.

For reference sake, Detroit has 4.3, Minnesota has 3.1, Cleveland and KC both have ~2M.

Texas has exclusive rights to the D-FW area with 6.3M potential fans and one of the highest per capita levels of wealth in the country. They've made the playoffs 5 times since 1996, twice in the new millennium and won two pennants - both the last two years and no WS titles.

The Angels have 6M potential fans (half of the LA area( and again are located in an area with MASSIVE personal wealth. They have made the playoff 6 times since 2004 with one WS title to show for it.

It's not like these teams are significantly out performing the Sox.

The Sox have been spending like a big market team for several years too, some of those moves haven't worked out, but you can't say they haven't been trying.
Maybe you cant put the Sox in the rangers or angels category( and of course the yanks and boston) but you can definitely put them in and above the detroit category. That puts the Sox in the upper 1/3 in the AL, right below the rangers and angels.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:34 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassagstdu View Post
If they waited until the Sox miss the playoffs it would seem that the architect of Gio for Swisher-to-play-CF was being kicked upstairs because of his miserable performance. E.g., even with Dunn, Rios, and Peavy performing as projected, the team he built was a flop. Right now, at least for a few more days, they can pretend it was a reward for success.

I guess...as long as they close this thing out and get the 12 last wins/tiger losses they need then it becomes a non-issue going into the playoffs. But until then I'm worried that it might be a bad time for this to come out for a team who's had relatively no controversies all year.

On a sidenote there was a poster before the season began who said someone up high in the organization had told him this very thing was going to happen. Kudos to him (whoever you are) and your good information.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Maybe you cant put the Sox in the rangers or angels category( and of course the yanks and boston) but you can definitely put them in and above the detroit category. That puts the Sox in the upper 1/3 in the AL, right below the rangers and angels.
And amazingly enough they spend like it too...
Old 09-21-2012, 11:49 AM
WSI Guru

Voodoo:

My only quibble is with your comment that the Rangers and Angels haven't significantly outperformed the Sox.

As you know you can't get to the World Series if you are on the golf course the day after the regular season ends.

Texas and the Angels have in my opinion been pretty consistent in making the postseason, certainly more times than the Sox.

I think that is a big stat when judging how well a franchise is doing and in that regards to me, they are doing much better.

Lip
Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
WSI Guru

Shingo:

Again for what it's worth, Peavy told the Sun-Times today he knew it was coming, he's not bothered by it, all he wants to do is pitch the Sox to the playoffs and he said again, that he likes playing in Chicago and would like to return.

Lip
Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Voodoo:

My only quibble is with your comment that the Rangers and Angels haven't significantly outperformed the Sox.

As you know you can't get to the World Series if you are on the golf course the day after the regular season ends.

Texas and the Angels have in my opinion been pretty consistent in making the postseason, certainly more times than the Sox.

I think that is a big stat when judging how well a franchise is doing and in that regards to me, they are doing much better.

Lip

The Rangers hadn't made the playoffs in a decade before this little run they're on. The Angels did have a nice little run of dominating the AL West, but if they miss the postseason again, and if the season ended today, they would, this would be 3 years in a row for them.

If you were on RangersInteractive or AngelsInteractive, absolutely no doubt you'd be slamming either of those teams for their performance.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

The Rangers hadn't made the playoffs in a decade before this little run they're on. The Angels did have a nice little run of dominating the AL West, but if they miss the postseason again, and if the season ended today, they would, this would be 3 years in a row for them.

If you were on RangersInteractive or AngelsInteractive, absolutely no doubt you'd be slamming either of those teams for their performance.
The big difference lies not in their success on the field, but in generating revenue. As Voodoo and others have said, that comes down to TV audience and the market they are in. The Sox just don't have as high of a potential for massive TV revenue that the Rangers, Angels (and Dodgers and others) have. Thus, Texas and LA of Anaheim can spend gobs of money on free agents and the Sox can't, at least not as much.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Voodoo:

Lip
Check it again, Lip. Prior to 2010 the Rangers didn't make the post season since the late 90's.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:17 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The big difference lies not in their success on the field, but in generating revenue. As Voodoo and others have said, that comes down to TV audience and the market they are in. The Sox just don't have as high of a potential for massive TV revenue that the Rangers, Angels (and Dodgers and others) have. Thus, Texas and LA of Anaheim can spend gobs of money on free agents and the Sox can't, at least not as much.
Luckily for me, all I really give a **** about is success on the field
Old 09-21-2012, 12:35 PM
WSI Guru

Voodoo:

I understand that. I'm going by your numbers and your comment from a post earlier in this thread. You said since 1996 Texas has made it five times and twice in the World Series.

Since 1996 the Sox have made it three times and once to the World Series.

That's doing a better job in my opinion.

You can make the case that the Sox have wasted as many excellent chances to get to the post season in that time frame as they've actually gotten in.

Lip