White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
CTL Gamenight Extra

White Sox are not confirming or denying anything. "We are focused on trying to get to the playoffs."
In other words it's true. If it weren't they'd definitely deny it.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-20-2012, 07:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
How many teams in baseball can claim to have done that?
16 teams have gotten to the league championship series since we last did. (And the Phillies had the best record in the baseball the last two consecutive years.) I'm not saying that Kenny and Rick had to accomplish any of that, although I don't think a championship series appearance every six years is a crazy expectation. I'm just find it hilarious that they don't suck and yet GarPax apparently do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Apples and Kumquats.
Obviously, there is no real comparison here but DomeShot17 went ahead and made one anyway so i thought it made sense to at least point out that GarPax don't suck, especially when compared to KW's recent results.

-A Tigers fan, just before the Pale Hose defeated the Kitties 9-1.

Last edited by gf2020; 09-20-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
16 teams have gotten to the league championship series since we last did. (And the Phillies had the best record in the baseball the last two consecutive years.) I'm not saying that Kenny and Rick had to accomplish any of that, although I don't think a championship series appearance every six years is a crazy expectation. I'm just find it hilarious that they don't suck and yet GarPax apparently do.

Obviously, there is no real comparison here but DomeShot17 went ahead and made one anyway so i thought it made sense to at least point out that GarPax don't suck, especially when compared to KW's recent results.
Well if KW was able to draft the equivelent of Derrick Rose recently, then maybe he would have better results too. Honestly, If the Sox hold on to win the division, they will have made the playoffs 3 times in 8 years. In baseball, that's successful.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:14 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Well if KW was able to draft the equivelent of Derrick Rose recently, then maybe he would have better results too. Honestly, If the Sox hold on to win the division, they will have made the playoffs 3 times in 8 years. In baseball, that's successful.
I only brought up GarPax initially because Reinsdorf also owns the Bulls and their management set up seems similar to what the proposed KW-Hahn move would be.

Team-building is obviously very different in the two sports.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I'm more than happy with KW, just don't see the need to say GarPax suck, especially since they've been incredibly successful lately. Getting handed an all star is one thing, successfully building around them another and GarPax did that. GarPax also hired Thibs and drafted Taj Gibson and Nikola Mirotic late and didn't draft Devin Harris and Spencer Hawes like certain posters wanted. They've gotten to a conference finals once, which is what KW and Hahn have essentially done. Just don't like Dome dragging his random and irrational GarPax hate into the thread especially since he once said this in 2010:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
A title is a longshot, but I want to GET TO the ECF. If we do it next year ill be satisfied.
What did they do the next year? Make the ECF. The year after? A one seed that was undone by a random injury to their best player. According to Dome, they suck. Meanwhile, KW and Hahn get us into the playoffs once since 2005 and they apparently don't.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sounds like a plan.

How about a Thank You Kenny Williams appreciation thread?

Seriously, this guy may have made some bold moves over his time but for the one season everything came together and worked I will be forever grateful for the rest of my life.

THANK YOU KENNY! What the White Sox achieved in 2005 means everything to me.
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 09-20-2012, 08:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102605 View Post
Sounds like a plan.

How about a Thank You Kenny Williams appreciation thread?

Seriously, this guy may have made some bold moves over his time but for the one season everything came together and worked I will be forever grateful for the rest of my life.

THANK YOU KENNY! What the White Sox achieved in 2005 means everything to me.
He's not really going anywhere.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

I still see it as a major change that he is stepping aside.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Do the Sox have a team "President" now? If not, what would a team president do that isn't the job of the GM?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:34 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102605 View Post
I still see it as a major change that he is stepping aside.
He's not really stepping aside, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Do the Sox have a team "President" now? If not, what would a team president do that isn't the job of the GM?
No, they don't.

Mark Gonzales' article explains it a bit:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1956044.story
Old 09-20-2012, 10:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

It's good. But they can do better. As the third major market in America, in the more competitive league, with the highest revenue teams like the Yanks, Carmines, etc., they can do better.

The Rangers and Angels have figured it out. I know that my team can do it.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:22 PM
WSI Guru

This and that:

The Sox do not have a team president for those that asked the question.

Russ: It's been in the papers for months that the Sox aren't going to pick up the option. Peavy himself was quoted months ago as understanding the situation. The speculation was that because Jake said he enjoyed playing in Chicago, that perhaps something could be worked out on a deal after the Sox declined the option at 22 million. They'll owe him a four million dollar buyout and then can talk to him again if both sides choose to.

Kenny has commented often in recent years how the day to day pressure is starting to effect him health-wise. Remember many said that Kenny would never quit or get fired because of his close association with J.R. but that he might get 'promoted.'

This may not be a bad thing, many felt the Sox didn't go far enough last year after they let Ozzie go, that Kenny should have been kicked upstairs and a brand new team put into place.

Seems to be happening.

Time for new blood. It'll be interesting as Hahn (assuming it is him) will have significant challenges with Youk, Peavy, Liriano, A.J. as free agents and Floyd potentially as one (Sox hold the option) plus Danks' uncertain status plus who knows what type of payroll he'll have to work with.

Lip
Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 PM
WSI Guru

Pale:

The Rangers and Angels "figured it out" because they are getting more money than the U.S. Mint because of their new regional TV deals. That's how they signed every free agent out there worth a damn.

The Sox deal with Comcast doesn't expire until 2016 and they'll get nowhere near the money, not even close.

I understand your overall point and I agree they can do better but TV money has become the driving factor in a lot of this and the Sox and not well positioned. (Through no fault of their own...)

Lip
Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 PM
WSI High Priest

We all figured this would happen at some point. Kenny had his ups and downs as a GM, but he did a great job reshaping this year's team. I've said before that he might be a better big picture guy while Hahn handles the day to day operations. The farm system is starting to show some signs of life, so hopefully Hahn builds on that.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:53 PM
WSI Personality

The timing of this is just terrible. The only thing that should matter right now is winning so why in the hell would this come out now? Just awful. This will be the story for the rest of the season and it will get magnified with every loss.