White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 PM
WSI Personality

Default Fox Sports and TBS renew with MLB

Less games on TBS Sunday baseball, more Fox games, and some games going to the Speed Channel, which is expected to be rebranded as a Fox Sports Network (how will they do that when they already have FSN affiliates, recently rebranded with the same Fox Sports logo used on the Fox mothership network?)

Somewhere, Joe Buck in his monotone voice is saying "Yay."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/sp...ball-deal.html
Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Banned

Wonderful. Why Fox, a network that has done a horrible job covering baseball, continues to have their television contract renewed while NBC remains on the outside looking in is something I don't understand.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

I like TBS coverage for the most part. Brian Anderson did a very good job last post season.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Great, more awful baseball coverage.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Whoever is running NBC Sports needs to be replaced. How they allowed this to happen is beyond me. NBC Sports Network ought to really give the ESPN Evil Empire a run for its money with possibly no NHL hockey and hunting shows.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Yippee. More Joe Buck.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Joe Buck is fine. He's the classic announcer. Sure he has his faults, but there could be more Berman's in the booth and nobody wants that.

Let's face it...It's really tough to be a PBP guy. As far as they go, Buck is among the best

Old 09-20-2012, 02:14 AM
WSI Personality

I can't understand the terms of the contract unless Scooter explains them to me.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

If I'm doing the math right, it looks like each team is picking up an additional $26 million from these deals. Scott Boras must be out shopping for private jets.

As far as Buck is concerned, as a voice he's not bad, but his past comments about baseball being boring and his penchant for beating a story line into the ground (bad weather, length of a game, the AJ dropped third strike) drive me nuts.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 AM
WSI High Priest

So are we losing a nationally-televised Sunday afternoon game, or is FOX going to carry that on Speed?

Not that it really matters as I rarely watch that TBS game, but anything that appears to be less baseball on television makes me set.

And yeah, a joke that NBC apparently wasn't even a major player in these negotiations. Isn't this what they've been gearing up for since the rebranding of Versus and etc?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
So are we losing a nationally-televised Sunday afternoon game, or is FOX going to carry that on Speed?

Not that it really matters as I rarely watch that TBS game, but anything that appears to be less baseball on television makes me set.

And yeah, a joke that NBC apparently wasn't even a major player in these negotiations. Isn't this what they've been gearing up for since the rebranding of Versus and etc?
Supposedly, MLB wanted more money than NBCU was willing to pay. I thought Comcast was going to go all out. They've spent the money to upgrade other things at NBCU.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's View Post
Supposedly, MLB wanted more money than NBCU was willing to pay. I thought Comcast was going to go all out. They've spent the money to upgrade other things at NBCU.
Exactly! Remember about a year ago when the Olympics were up for renewal (I forget when NBC's then existing deal expired), and for a while, it seemed NBCU was on the verge of losing coverage to ABC/ESPN or FOX? That was because NBCU was also reluctant to pay the high price necessary to carry the Olympics.

So far, the NBC Sports Network has been a half-assed attempt, at best. They really should have waited to relaunch Versus until they had more viable programming to counter ESPN.

Fox Sports Net made a huge push by acquiring all the Sports Channel stations in 1996-98, then half assed it with cheap graphics, and low-budget shows and low budget college football and basketball that surrounded the regional games.

Now, we have CBS Sports Network, NBC Sports Network and a possible Fox Sports Network, in addition to all the various regional sports networks? Too many cooks spoil the broth.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Tim McCarver: "Now what this means is that some baseball games will be broadcast on Fox."
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 09-20-2012, 12:45 PM
WSI Prelate

This is bad news, I hate the way Fox broadcasts baseball.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:29 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINMVP View Post
Less games on TBS Sunday baseball, more Fox games, and some games going to the Speed Channel, which is expected to be rebranded as a Fox Sports Network (how will they do that when they already have FSN affiliates, recently rebranded with the same Fox Sports logo used on the Fox mothership network?)

Somewhere, Joe Buck in his monotone voice is saying "Yay."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/sp...ball-deal.html

You can have Fox Sports Net as a national network and then have Fox Sports-City Name (like the old Fox Sports-Chicago).

I thought Comcast Sports Nets were going to be rebranded as NBC Sports-City name (NBC Sports-Chicago would be ours). I thought this was discussed either at the Comcast/NBC merger or the Versus/NBC Sports transition.