White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 01:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
I believe he means a manager who can alienate a fanbase like nobody's business. I think Ozzie's mouth is far worse than Bobby V's.
The fact that long-time fans like me wanted Ozzie run out of town on a rail in spite of 2005 is the true measure of how good he was at alienating people.

And it wasn't a fluke, either -- just ask the Cubans in Miami.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post

I believe he means a manager who can alienate a fanbase like nobody's business. I think Ozzie's mouth is far worse than Bobby V's.
Ozzie didn't alienate the entire fanbase, rather a substantial portion of it. And if you want to get down to brass tacks, many Sox fans never liked his style of baseball anyway and put up with his antics because we were winning, so when things went bad and his mouth shot off with no winning behind it, those fans were easy to turn on him.

Valentine really isn't a comparison. Ozzie's first two and a half seasons plus 2008 were quality, winning us a World Series title. Valentine shouldn't have come back, much less to this fractured team, and did nothing but make them worse.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sounds like Bobby's jones'in for a pink slip.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 09-16-2012, 06:56 PM
WSI High Priest

And did you hear the quote of Bobby V's backpedalling on that remark about the weak roster today? Same blather about injuries at the AAA level, blah blah blah, ... and ended with (paraphrasing here) shame on you for taking my early remarks at face value.

I think Bobby V has seen the MLB game pass him by, he can't handle the players of today, and is ready to get ****-canned.

SMO
Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 AM
WSI Personality

Valentine's a windbag. Always has been.

He really has no business bashing his roster like this publicly. The sad thing is that if he gets fired, he still gets paid.

Managers get traded (see Ozzie, Lou Piniella, Chuck Tanner). If I was in the Red Sox front office, I'd give him a choice: quit, or we're going to look into dealing your contract to an independent league team I in the Yukon. Red Sox would still have to pay him, but he'd have to ride buses to get paid.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:45 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Really!?
He was making a point, he wasn't just trying to inform us that Ozzie won us a Series. You trolled him for the sake of trolling, which you do quite a bit around here, under the mods' radar it seems.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:19 PM
WSI Prelate

A lot of managers who really know baseball have really grating personalities and they lack patience...like Valentine. Showalter is like that too.
Madden is an exception, although he may too - grating generally shows up when losing and he hasn't lost much yet.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM
WSI High Priest

What about the weakest manager they've ever had?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
What about the weakest manager they've ever had?
If there's one thing Bobby Valentine excels at, it's deferring responsibility for things that are his fault. He looks and acts like a clown.