White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 12:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Bobby V: "weakest roster we've ever had"

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...ecommended_1_5
Because he just hasn't fallen out of favor enough over there.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Or the worst coach they've ever seen.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:33 PM
WSI Prelate

October 4, 2012: Red Sox Fire Manager Bobby Valentine
Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
October 4, 2012: Red Sox Fire Manager Bobby Valentine
I couldn't imagine a more fitting end to their season.

October 5, 2012: Valentine re-ups with ESPN
Old 09-15-2012, 01:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post

Given the Boston bias of ESPN, I wonder if they even take him back out of fear of alienating Red Sox fans. I have never come across such a tone deaf manager or coach in professional sports.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Given the Boston bias of ESPN, I wonder if they even take him back out of fear of alienating Red Sox fans. I have never come across such a tone deaf manager or coach in professional sports.

"Ahem..."
Old 09-15-2012, 05:54 PM
WSI Prelate

The funny thing is, if the Red Sox really did this rebuilding thing right, they would have a brighter future, and it wouldn't seem so distant. Coming into the season, they traded their best prospect for an overhyped pitcher who has done nothing this year and really shouldn't have been expected to.

The funny thing is, the prospect is the one who has a pretty good chance of making it to the postseason.

As an FYI, look at this USA Today story, and for laughs, check out why the overhyped pitcher is looking forward to his move to Boston.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm amazed they've stuck with him this long, frankly. A favorite topic of conversation in Boston is who should be the next manager. They could do worse than Dave Martinez or Sandy Alomar, but they might look for an ex-Red Sox...Tony Pena? Mike Lowell? Varitek?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:

Nope.

October 5, 2012: replaces Ozzie.

All hail The Rick
Old 09-16-2012, 08:42 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The funny thing is, if the Red Sox really did this rebuilding thing right, they would have a brighter future, and it wouldn't seem so distant. Coming into the season, they traded their best prospect for an overhyped pitcher who has done nothing this year and really shouldn't have been expected to.

The funny thing is, the prospect is the one who has a pretty good chance of making it to the postseason.

As an FYI, look at this USA Today story, and for laughs, check out why the overhyped pitcher is looking forward to his move to Boston.

Actually, Reddick was the 4th highest prospect in the Red Sox system entering 2011. But he had a good year in Boston last season. Red Sox had to go out and get a closer, so they went and traded for 2, Bailey and Melancon. Reddick was targeted as their 4th outfielder on paper. Not sure if Bailey is over-hyped, he has been on DL most of the year. But I think this shows how important the emergence of Reed and Jones was. It probably saved the White Sox from trading for a closer which is always an adventure.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post

"Ahem..."

Jerry Manuel, sure. But Ozzie won us a friggin' World Series. And is the only manager to take us to two post seasons in our 112 year history.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by downstairs View Post
Jerry Manuel, sure. But Ozzie won us a friggin' World Series. And is the only manager to take us to two post seasons in our 112 year history.
I believe he means a manager who can alienate a fanbase like nobody's business. I think Ozzie's mouth is far worse than Bobby V's.

Sad thing is that until the Red Sox dump some of their prima donna headaches, no matter who they get in there is going to have trouble. Valentine has lost the club, no doubt about it; but the players didn't want to accept change to begin with. Whiny little brats like Dustin Pedroria need to shut up, accept who is the boss, and play to the level he's being paid versus taking on the manager who "doesn't understand how we do things here."

Dude, the way you do things in that clubhouse is how Terry Francona got fired.

Breast Cancer Awareness doesn't end on Oct. 31st. Folks, get educated on it and get involved. Ladies, please get tested. For more info, visit www.komen.org.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Actually, Reddick was the 4th highest prospect in the Red Sox system entering 2011. But he had a good year in Boston last season. Red Sox had to go out and get a closer, so they went and traded for 2, Bailey and Melancon. Reddick was targeted as their 4th outfielder on paper. Not sure if Bailey is over-hyped, he has been on DL most of the year. But I think this shows how important the emergence of Reed and Jones was. It probably saved the White Sox from trading for a closer which is always an adventure.
When the deal was made, the Bay Area media reported that Reddick was the top talent to come out of the Red Sox system in recent years. And this year in Oakland he already has 28 home runs and 14 outfield assists, so the A's hype hasn't stopped, especially with the A's only two games behind the Rangers in mid September.

But the Bay Area media also over-hyped Bailey, who never was a great closer. He tended only to save games when he had a lead of at least two runs. If you only looked at his strikeouts you might think he was an elite closer. But he was hurt much of last year. It really shouldn't have been a surprise he was hurt this year.

If you are building for the future, as the Red Sox claim they are doing now, Reddick for Bailey is not a move you make.

But I think the comments by Bailey in the story I linked were the most interesting part of my point.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Icon10

Quote:
October 6,2012: Bobby Valentine is struck with permanent laryngitis,cannot work for "the four letter network".
Old 09-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by downstairs View Post
Really!?