White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 10:16 PM
WSI High Priest

I think Detroit seems to be getting lucky with the schedule, they keep catching us at the tail end of a tough road trip. I think we can beat them during our next homestand.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:32 PM
WSI High Priest

You live and die by your pitching and our three best starters haven't gotten it done this past week. Thornton once again gives up a big hit despite Peavy putting two runners on in front of him. The leadoff walk to Andy Dirks was killer. Scherzer has pitched pretty well against us this year, so we need the erratic Liriano to hold them in check tomorrow before what could be a great pitcher's duel on Sunday.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:32 PM
WSI Personality

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned. The difference in the game was their 3-5 hitters went 6-10 while the Sox went 1-12. We can blame Peavy, Thornton, Robin, whoever, but the middle of the order hitters were the difference in the game.

Let's get 'em tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I will go to sleep tonight counting the double digit stranded runners. Fister had nothing and we couldn't put him away. I also was scratching my head when Robin left Peavy in to face Cabrera in the 7th. I sensed the knockout blow was coming after that. Also, Thornton was 94 mph and straight as arrow tonight.
And every other night. MLB keeps telling me 4-seamer, 2-seamer, while I can't tell the difference. All arrow straight and centered.

The key play of the game for me was Youk's shot right to Cabrera with the sacks jammed. If that was to his right, 3 runs score. No thx to Dunn and PK for making it easy after that.

No help coming from Isaac for Sat/Sun.

At least attendance in the game thread was up.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Tigers get clutch hit more than the Sox do, it's a fact. One that will play a big role down the stretch.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...=CHW&year=2012
http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...=DET&year=2012

The Tigers fielding independent pitching is much better than the Sox (3.71 vs 4.27, http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=15,d).
Detroit's D can fumble the ball all they want, but without the Sox getting the unearned runs across the plate, it doesn't really matter.

Finally after 3 years Peavy takes the mound in an important game for the Sox and proceeds to take a bulldog sized **** on it. 6ER, 9H, 4K, 4BB. You're welcome for all the money Jake, I won't shed any tears for you when you leave.

We all knew Sale and Quintana would hit a wall, is Peavy hitting a wall too? He hasn't pitched this many innings since 2007, and 2007 Peavy is certainly not 2012 Peavy.

All in all, this is a terrible time for the rotation to fall apart and the offense to lose all their magic. Can someone send Robin a link to baseball-reference.com? It seems pretty obvious that leaving Thornton in against Young was destined to fail.

If the Sox can't win 3 god damn games in Detroit all year, I have no problem with them not winning the ALC.

Last edited by amsteel; 08-31-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:19 PM
WSI Guru

I thought things were bad in Detroit but I didn't realize they were THIS bad.

According to Gonzo in his post mortum the Sox are now 3-16 in their last 19 games at Comerica Park.

3-16....that's Metrodome-like isn't it?

Wow... from Oakland, to Minnesota, to Toronto now to Detroit. Incredible. The players change but the House of Horrors never ends, it just packs up and moves to another stadium.

Lip
Old 08-31-2012, 11:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
The Tigers get clutch hit more than the Sox do, it's a fact. One that will play a big role down the stretch.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...=CHW&year=2012
http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...=DET&year=2012

The Tigers fielding independent pitching is much better than the Sox (3.71 vs 4.27, http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=15,d).
Detroit's D can fumble the ball all they want, but without the Sox getting the unearned runs across the plate, it doesn't really matter.

Finally after 3 years Peavy takes the mound in an important game for the Sox and proceeds to take a bulldog sized **** on it. 6ER, 9H, 4K, 4BB. You're welcome for all the money Jake, I won't shed any tears for you when you leave.

We all knew Sale and Quintana would hit a wall, is Peavy hitting a wall too? He hasn't pitched this many innings since 2007, and 2007 Peavy is certainly not 2012 Peavy.

All in all, this is a terrible time for the rotation to fall apart and the offense to lose all their magic. Can someone send Robin a link to baseball-reference.com? It seems pretty obvious that leaving Thornton in against Young was destined to fail.

If the Sox can't win 3 god damn games in Detroit all year, I have no problem with them not winning the ALC.
I'm with you.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'll postscript all of that by saying from here on out the Tigers need to be 3 games better than the Sox, which as long as the Sox take care of business against everyone that isn't KC and the Tigers, they should be fine.

The Sox have 6 left against Minny, 6 against the Tribe, and 3 in LA against a floundering Angels team.

I said after the second game of the KC sweep that the 13 remaining games at that point against KC and Detroit will determine the Sox fate, I stand by that and thus far the Sox are 0-2 in those games.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:34 PM
WSI Guru

Watched the game like it was a heavyweight fight until the 7th when Young cleared the bases with the triple, at which point I then just fastforwarded through to the end. I knew that was the game winner.

I'm annoyed at AJ and Peavy. It's excruciating to watch these guys try to work with each other. I love both of them as Sox players, but they act like tools to each other to the point where it's uncomfortable. Peavy's shaking AJ signs off all night. AJ's flinging the ball back to Peavy with attitude every time there's a 2-0 count. Peavy can't see AJ's signs, so AJ's being a dick and pulling his fingers up really high in an animated way. They can't hook up on anything. AJ's making faces into the dugout, Peavy's barking at him. It's miracle AJ made it into the 7th. Hopefully Flowers is back and can work Peavy's remaining regular season games, because the AJ/Peavy battery is brutal. Peavy seems like he has a mental roadblock when AJ's behind the plate.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 PM
WSI Guru

Leadoff walks killed us, as did Wise playing too shallow in centerfield. Hawk and Stone harped on it all night, but it's comical that the Sox couldn't lay down more than one bunt to third base all night when Cabrera was limping around and could hardly get out of the batter's box. I'm surprised Alexei didn't try to bunt AJ home on a safety squeeze with one out in the 7th.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Watched the game like it was a heavyweight fight until the 7th when Young cleared the bases with the triple, at which point I then just fastforwarded through to the end. I knew that was the game winner.

I'm annoyed at AJ and Peavy. It's excruciating to watch these guys try to work with each other. I love both of them as Sox players, but they act like tools to each other to the point where it's uncomfortable. Peavy's shaking AJ signs off all night. AJ's flinging the ball back to Peavy with attitude every time there's a 2-0 count. Peavy can't see AJ's signs, so AJ's being a dick and pulling his fingers up really high in an animated way. They can't hook up on anything. AJ's making faces into the dugout, Peavy's barking at him. It's miracle AJ made it into the 7th. Hopefully Flowers is back and can work Peavy's remaining regular season games, because the AJ/Peavy battery is brutal. Peavy seems like he has a mental roadblock when AJ's behind the plate.
Interesting observations. If that's the case, how can Ventura keep trotting out AJ behind the plate when Peavy is starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Leadoff walks killed us, as did Wise playing too shallow in centerfield. Hawk and Stone harped on it all night, but it's comical that the Sox couldn't lay down more than one bunt to third base all night when Cabrera was limping around and could hardly get out of the batter's box. I'm surprised Alexei didn't try to bunt AJ home on a safety squeeze with one out in the 7th.
I was harping on that all night in the game thread. Sorry for those who had to hear me yapping like a madman.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:44 AM
WSI Guru

It's probably good that I'm on a high right now, because I'm absolutely loving my new job so far, or else I'd probably be really pissed. They wasted a few easy scoring opportunities.

23 Other Games I have (all season tickets):
11/1 @ Toronto Maple Leafs, 11/2 vs. Winnipeg, 11/7 vs. Washington, 11/9 vs. San Jose, 11/16 vs. Dallas, 12/5 vs. Montreal, 12/16 vs. Minnesota, 12/21 vs. Toronto, 12/23 vs. Winnipeg, 1/4 vs. Dallas, 1/6 vs. Colorado, 1/16 vs. Winnipeg, 1/18 vs. Dallas, 1/20 vs. Arizona, 2/9 vs. Arizona, 2/11 vs. Vancouver, 2/20 vs. Colorado, 2/22 vs. Boston, 3/6 vs. Edmonton, 3/17 vs. New York Islanders, 3/27 vs. Columbus, 3/30 vs. Los Angeles, 4/2 vs. Vancouver
Old 09-01-2012, 03:15 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
It's probably good that I'm on a high right now, because I'm absolutely loving my new job so far, or else I'd probably be really pissed. They wasted a few easy scoring opportunities.
I read that too fast and got "It's probably good that I'm high right now"

"I give you five minutes when we get there. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything a minute on either side of that and you're on your own. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive."
Old 09-01-2012, 04:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Tigers need to win 2 of the remaining 6 head to head matchups to lock in home field for a potential game 163.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I saw two problems this evening: we didn't hit and we didn't pitch.
And we didn't win.