White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 AM
MMXXIII

This thread couldn't have devolved into complete incoherent lunacy without a crazy rant about the Pizza Man.

Well done, chaps.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
For years Rick Telander was one of the writers who said Ron "The Scab/Pizza Man" Santo should be on the HOF.
I heard somewhere that you don't like Ron Santo.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-30-2012, 11:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Technically speaking, any major league player is a potential Hall of Famer.

The implication is still terribly hyperbolic.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
For years Rick Telander was one of the writers who said Ron "The Scab/Pizza Man" Santo should be on the HOF. After many years of trying to brainwash everybody that the "Scab" should be in the HOF it finally happened this year. He at least waited until Santo retired before he started on how he should be in the HOF. As far as Castro goes the last time I looked he was hitting 270. Hardly HOF numbers. Also he's at best an average shortstop. He can't carry Alexi Rameriz jockstrap defensively. Telander is just another Cubs fan. I remember he dumped all over the White Sox for signing Albert Belle, citing Belles character issues. But of course he said nothing about the Cubs signing Milton Bradley. The Score hired Telander as one of their afternoon hosts a few years ago. I thought he was dull. When his show tanked in the ratings the Score pulled him from the airwaves. I was surprised when the Score hired him. I thought if anything Telander would hook up with David Kaplan on WGN radio.
Score didn't pull him. He quit on the air, in the middle of the show with Hood and Buffone. I guess he realized how much he sucked and didn't see the need to continue any further.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Grr.

Castor makes a fine oil, though!
Then there's always the 70's R and B band,The Jimmy Castor Bunch.

Who among us can forget "The Bertha Butt Boogie??"

(That is an actual song title."The Bertha Butt Boogie".Released just as Disco began to flood radio in 1974-75,IIRC) .This is a what a 50 year old remembers.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:40 AM
WSI Regular

Moment of silence, please, for Jimmy Castor.

Thank you.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:52 PM
WSI High Priest

As someone pointed out, Telander quit on WSCR mid-shift to quote "go home and spend more quality time with his family."

Keep in mind, in the middle of talking Bears football with Doug Buffone and J Hood that this guy was busy making phone calls to the Boston Red Sox to get Jed Hoyer on the line in 2004. When he landed the interview; he said,

"Johnathan, Doug; I just got off the phone with the Red Sox and Jed Hoyer will be on to talk about Boston winning the World Series. After listening to him, you'll understand why NEITHER TEAM IN THIS CITY WILL WIN A WORLD SERIES FOR YEARS TO COME."

Now, I SO freakin' desperately wanted to get on the air with him in October of 2005 just to ask him, "How'd that comment work out for you, Rick?" Sadly, he quit that summer. (The stress of the White Sox doing so good must of gotten to him.)

I remember J Hood even saying to him right after that comment, "Rick, do you even pay attention to what we're talking about? We're talking about the Bears, and you bring in the Red Sox assistant GM?"

Telander is a guy who rides his past success and wears it like a crown. Who cares that you were the Bears beat reporter when they won in 1985?

Breast Cancer Awareness doesn't end on Oct. 31st. Folks, get educated on it and get involved. Ladies, please get tested. For more info, visit www.komen.org.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
Then there's always the 70's R and B band,The Jimmy Castor Bunch.

Who among us can forget "The Bertha Butt Boogie??"

(That is an actual song title."The Bertha Butt Boogie".Released just as Disco began to flood radio in 1974-75,IIRC) .This is a what a 50 year old remembers.
I'm kinda partial to TROGLODYTE.

"Gotta find a woman, gotta find a woman, gotta find a woman, gotta find a woman"

"I'll sock it to ya, Daddy!"
Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
For years Rick Telander was one of the writers who said Ron "The Scab/Pizza Man" Santo should be on the HOF. After many years of trying to brainwash everybody that the "Scab" should be in the HOF it finally happened this year. He at least waited until Santo retired before he started on how he should be in the HOF. As far as Castro goes the last time I looked he was hitting 270. Hardly HOF numbers. Also he's at best an average shortstop. He can't carry Alexi Rameriz jockstrap defensively. Telander is just another Cubs fan. I remember he dumped all over the White Sox for signing Albert Belle, citing Belles character issues. But of course he said nothing about the Cubs signing Milton Bradley. The Score hired Telander as one of their afternoon hosts a few years ago. I thought he was dull. When his show tanked in the ratings the Score pulled him from the airwaves. I was surprised when the Score hired him. I thought if anything Telander would hook up with David Kaplan on WGN radio.
Anyone would have been better than Mc Neil, he is awful.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 PM
WSI Regular

Its been years since I read a complete Telander column. IMHO he hasn't been relevant for years and he hasn't been objective for decades. He has definitely jumped the shark. Maybe the Sun-Times has decided to give him a job until he retires.