White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Default ESPN Keeps MLB Through 2021 ($5.6B Deal)

Plenty more Yankees and Red Sox love for the next 10 years:
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...eball/related/

I remember a time, not too long ago, when MLB was having trouble with the popularity of its network TV packages. It wasn't a big draw for the networks. $5.6 B is just for the ESPN deal. There are still deals to work out for the packages that Fox and TBS currently have.

EDIT: I see where the news story says this new deal is for double what ESPN pays per year in their current deal.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Well, other than giving them one of the wildcard games it's the same as the current contract. Not too bad. I'm just glad they didn't get the playoffs. I hope NBC steps up and takes the main contract away from Fox. I hate the way they cover baseball (and football for that matter). NBC has by far the best picture and sound quality to their broadcasts, and I always like their graphics package while Fox's is overbearing. Also, if it means we get Al Michaels instead of Joe Buck, it's possibly the biggest win ever. I would also like if CBS got the contract, but I haven't heard that they were interested.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
Also, if it means we get Al Michaels instead of Joe Buck, it's possibly the biggest win ever.
IMHO,I'd rather NBC use Bob Costas or Vin Scully.

Nobody can call a game like Scully.I don't care if he is 93 years old.
With Harry Caray and Harry Kalas (one of my favorite baseball names) now gone,Scully can call a game like noone else,IMO.
He never gets too excited when the Dodgers win or too depressed when they lose.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 AM
WSI Guru

That's to bad that ESPN kept part of the deal.

Scully by the way isn't quite that old! LOL and he announced Sunday he's returning to the booth next year for the Dodgers.

Lip
Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
Well, other than giving them one of the wildcard games it's the same as the current contract. Not too bad. I'm just glad they didn't get the playoffs. I hope NBC steps up and takes the main contract away from Fox. I hate the way they cover baseball (and football for that matter). NBC has by far the best picture and sound quality to their broadcasts, and I always like their graphics package while Fox's is overbearing. Also, if it means we get Al Michaels instead of Joe Buck, it's possibly the biggest win ever. I would also like if CBS got the contract, but I haven't heard that they were interested.
Whiz!! Bang?!%! Zoooom!!!
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 08-28-2012, 10:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Scully by the way isn't quite that old! LOL and he announced Sunday he's returning to the booth next year for the Dodgers.

Lip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury Brown
‏@BizballMaury
Before any expenses, as part of new ESPN deal w/MLB, ea club gets approx. $23.33M a yr. up from $10.2M. And think: FOX, TBS still to renew
Every club getting an extra $23 million per year can't be too bad.

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all."- Former Orioles Manager Earl Weaver
Go Sox and Go Bearcats!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:04 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKalltheway View Post
Every club getting an extra $23 million per year can't be too bad.
I wonder did ESPN just pay Peavy and Youkilis for the Sox?

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
No.

I am also disappointed ESPN gets to keep the contract because it just means ten more years of hype for the "Empire" and the "nation."

Go Sox!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
Unless the White Sox are somehow getting more than other clubs, no.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:12 PM
WSI Prelate

This is a supreme disappointment. I was hoping NBC Sports Network would get the baseball cable package. Hopefully, NBCSN will get the TBS package and NBC will get the Fox package.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Lip
It says something that Vin Scully's career in Brooklyn started five years after Harry Caray's career in St. Louis, and Harry Caray is long dead.

I don't mind ESPN being part of the deal, occasionally showing baseball, although I don't believe baseball should be played on Sunday nights. I would have ESPN blocked if it weren't for the occasional live game.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:10 PM
WSI Regular

"ESPN also picked up rights to carry games featuring more popular teams, such as the Yankees and Red Sox, more frequently."

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D.../MLB-ESPN.aspx
Old 08-28-2012, 02:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
"ESPN also picked up rights to carry games featuring more popular teams, such as the Yankees and Red Sox, more frequently."

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D.../MLB-ESPN.aspx
...because they really don't show enough Yankees and Red Sox now.

NYY and Bos better get used Sunday night games being the norm for them for the entire season.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
...because they really don't show enough Yankees and Red Sox now.

NYY and Bos better get used Sunday night games being the norm for them for the entire season.
ESPN can show the Yankees and Red Sox on Sunday night every week for all that I care. I don't usually watch Sunday Night Baseball (Sunday nights are by far the best TV night of the week for me), and I much prefer watching the Sox on Sunday afternoons. I know out of market fans probably disagree, but I just don't understand the appeal of national broadcasts for the White Sox.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfourni View Post
ESPN can show the Yankees and Red Sox on Sunday night every week for all that I care. I don't usually watch Sunday Night Baseball (Sunday nights are by far the best TV night of the week for me), and I much prefer watching the Sox on Sunday afternoons. I know out of market fans probably disagree, but I just don't understand the appeal of national broadcasts for the White Sox.
I don't think it's wanting more national broadcasts for the Sox as much as wanting more variety available for non-Chicago games than just having those be mostly the same couple of teams all the time.

MLB Network has helped with that problem. This year, I subscribed to mlb.tv, so it's not an issue for me at all for this season.