White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #136  
Old 08-09-2012, 08:58 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Was Johnson the guy you said is out of options if we bring him up?
Indeed, he is out of options. I think he's been designated for assignment more than once in his career. The Rays were able to keep him in their organization because he cleared waivers and was willing to accept assignment(s) to AAA.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 6-8; Total: 124-98.
Next game: Sept. 27 vs. Kansas City

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Actually, I believe the pinch-hit HR was against the Yankees with two outs in the ninth that game where the Rays rallied to make the playoffs on the final day of the season. He also homered off Thornton last year, it was a 3-run shot and not in a pinch-hitting role.
Grr! I was lazy, I guess.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 08-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
I know I'm nitpicking here, but DeAza was on the team last year and we knew he was going to be starting this year. He's had a great season and is definitely a surprise. Reed was also going to be on the team this year as well. The 2 guys who have been surprising are Nate Jones and Quintana. But those are pitchers. There is nothing when it comes to position players. Escobar might have been useful, but he's a maybe at best. They have no position players ready to come up and take a spot on the bench or fill in for someone if there's an injury, and that's pretty sad.
There should be a constant stream of both position and pitchers ready yearly, to at the bare minimum, come up and fill a bench slot adequately. Pitchers were able to fulfill that task this year, position players have not been able to do this.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 08-09-2012, 09:28 PM
DickAllen72 DickAllen72 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,939
Default

How about calling up Conor Jackson? Olmedo can cover backing up middle infield and Conor can backup 1st and 3rd.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickAllen72 View Post
How about calling up Conor Jackson? Olmedo can cover backing up middle infield and Conor can backup 1st and 3rd.
How often has Jackson played 3rd recently?
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 08-09-2012, 09:48 PM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Indeed, he is out of options. I think he's been designated for assignment more than once in his career. The Rays were able to keep him in their organization because he cleared waivers and was willing to accept assignment(s) to AAA.
Dan Johnson turns 33 tomorrow, I'm guessing he's been out of options for a very long time. If he were to come up and suck for a few days, my guess is he would be released almost immediately.

That being said, he's OPS'ing .907 down at Charlotte and we have nothing else. Maybe he can help for a week or two; it's worth a shot if Paulie is out and/or we can't acquire anything better.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 08-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Aesero Aesero is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Actually, I believe the pinch-hit HR was against the Yankees with two outs in the ninth that game where the Rays rallied to make the playoffs on the final day of the season.
This is what I was referring to. As it stands we have no one on the bench who can hit for power. Pretty much what you hope for with our pinch hitters is that they can come in, hit a single, and then maybe someone else can drive them in. Flowers doesn't count.

I never meant to imply that he's some savior or a great player, but he is a left handed bat capable of hitting a homerun. He's also been doing pretty well in AAA. Given the option of having either Hudson or him coming off the bench, I'd much rather have Johnson.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 08-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,087
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Other than that, we're on the same side in this debate. I suppose Dan Johnson could help the Sox, but I wouldn't bank on it. He's never been good at the MLB level.
He's also never been fully healthy at the MLB level. This year, he seems to be finally 100% healthy. The guy has some of the worst luck I've ever seen in the injury department. Eye problems, hip labrum issues, wrist problems, etc. and some of them under weird circumstances like getting plunked by Matt Capps or getting sprayed in the eye with sunblock spray. The details of Dan Johnson's injury plagued career are detailed here in this interesting article:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...3.html?refer=y

The truth is, we may never know what kind of player Dan Johnson could have been if he stayed healthy his whole career. It's not unreasonable to think that a fully healthy Dan Johnson is now reaching the potential he once had. The other side of the coin is that he is just having a career year down there. Regardless of why he is hitting this year, the bottom line is that he is hitting and I think he might be able to help this team. He likely can handle the bat better than Jordan Danks, Tyler Flowers, or Olmedo. He also has a very solid .396 OBP to go along with his other solid offensive numbers. On a weak bench like ours, it might be worth giving him a shot. Whether we see him soon or on September 1st when rosters expand, it is likely we will find out this year if he has any value.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 08-10-2012, 04:28 PM
#1swisher #1swisher is online now
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 16,439
Default

MLB adopts 7-day DL for concussions.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...ussions-032911

Chicago White Sox
Ventura says Paul Konerko is still being checked out and should know something before tonight's game.

Chuck Garfien
Ventura says Konerko's nausea is not as bad as it was on Wednesday. If he goes on 7-day DL it's not retroactive.
__________________
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 08-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

This and that:

A's catch another break...Konerko not in lineup tonight.

Can someone tell me how Konerko got hit in the head Tuesday? Was it a rundown, was their a collision at first base on a throw?

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 08-10-2012, 05:24 PM
#1swisher #1swisher is online now
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 16,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
This and that:

A's catch another break...Konerko not in lineup tonight.

Can someone tell me how Konerko got hit in the head Tuesday? Was it a rundown, was their a collision at first base on a throw?

Lip
Adam Hoge has the details
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...ld-concussion/

8/7 gameday thread
Dyson caught PK in the head, over his right eye with his elbow, running out a grounder to Beckham. Paulie stayed in the game.

MLB Gameday - top of the 7th
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/...b_1&mode=plays
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 08-10-2012, 05:46 PM
#1swisher #1swisher is online now
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 16,439
Default Official

MLB
OFFICIAL: white sox place 1B Paul Konerko on seven-day list disabled list with a concussion.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 08-10-2012, 06:24 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
He's also never been fully healthy at the MLB level. This year, he seems to be finally 100% healthy. The guy has some of the worst luck I've ever seen in the injury department. Eye problems, hip labrum issues, wrist problems, etc. and some of them under weird circumstances like getting plunked by Matt Capps or getting sprayed in the eye with sunblock spray. The details of Dan Johnson's injury plagued career are detailed here in this interesting article:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...3.html?refer=y

The truth is, we may never know what kind of player Dan Johnson could have been if he stayed healthy his whole career. It's not unreasonable to think that a fully healthy Dan Johnson is now reaching the potential he once had. The other side of the coin is that he is just having a career year down there. Regardless of why he is hitting this year, the bottom line is that he is hitting and I think he might be able to help this team. He likely can handle the bat better than Jordan Danks, Tyler Flowers, or Olmedo. He also has a very solid .396 OBP to go along with his other solid offensive numbers. On a weak bench like ours, it might be worth giving him a shot. Whether we see him soon or on September 1st when rosters expand, it is likely we will find out this year if he has any value.
Our bench is so bad that I'm not against giving him a try. All I'm saying is he has no track record of success as a MLB pinch hitter, which would be his role if the Sox were to add him to the roster. So, any contributions he might make to the team will be a nice surprise from my perspective. I wouldn't expect much.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 08-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

I wish I could see the play, I don't understand how a guy can throw an elbow at another guy's head and not get ejected unless a wild throw or something caused Konerko to get in his way and he was trying to protect himself (i.e. bringing up his arms / elbows to create a barrier...)

That's what I'm asking.

Just another ****ty break for the Sox.

Typical.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 08-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Paulwny Paulwny is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In a Field
Posts: 6,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I wish I could see the play, I don't understand how a guy can throw an elbow at another guy's head and not get ejected unless a wild throw or something caused Konerko to get in his way and he was trying to protect himself (i.e. bringing up his arms / elbows to create a barrier...)

That's what I'm asking.

Just another ****ty break for the Sox.

Typical.

Lip
You need to see the play, it wasn't deliberate.
__________________
She's the foundation I lean on, My woman, my WIFE.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.