White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 12:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post
Hasn't everyone on here been bitching about how horrible Konerko's production has been and how he should be moved lower in the order? And now we're lost without him?

Here it is, from all of 4 days ago...

In all fairness, Konerko has not been Konerko for about 2 months now. There is a certain standard / level you hold your star players to and when they are not producing at that level there is cause for concern (or bitching as you would say).

That being said with looking at the alternative, give me the slap hitting / soft hitting Konerko all day over the bums siting on that bench.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
This is a team with a very weak bench, the loss of any regular position player for any length of time is devastating at this point of season except maybe 2nd base.
Agree - our bench depth was below average before the Konerko injury- and concussions do have a way of lingering. Robin has been running the regulars out there very day and they need a periodic breather (one at a time not the "Ozzie Sunday lineup" option). Overall I ilke the starting team but we have zero depth behind them- its time to get an corner outfielder / first baseman who can step in periodically for PK, Youk, etc. The time is now whether you DL Konerko or release O-Dog or send Jordan Danks down.

We need a middle infielder upgrade too.

I know these moves are easier said than done, but this team is "close" to playoff quality but realistically may be a bench player or two away.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:13 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
Agree - our bench depth was below average before the Konerko injury- and concussions do have a way of lingering. Robin has been running the regulars out there very day and they need a periodic breather (one at a time not the "Ozzie Sunday lineup" option). Overall I ilke the starting team but we have zero depth behind them- its time to get an corner outfielder / first baseman who can step in periodically for PK, Youk, etc. The time is now whether you DL Konerko or release O-Dog or send Jordan Danks down.

We need a middle infielder upgrade too.

I know these moves are easier said than done, but this team is "close" to playoff quality but realistically may be a bench player or two away.
Maybe this is the point where you have to overpay. I am sure the wavier wire has someone out there that can help the club. Yes they may be over priced but now is the time you have to do what you have to do. This is the type of club that can compete in the playoffs but they have to get there first.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Dan Johnson? What's he been up to at AAA lately?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:04 PM
WSI Guru

There's at least three names already mentioned on this board that appear to be better than Olmedo, Hudson and Danks. I have to believe Kenny is working on this...makes no sense not to.

Lip
Old 08-09-2012, 04:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
There's at least three names already mentioned on this board that appear to be better than Olmedo, Hudson and Danks. I have to believe Kenny is working on this...makes no sense not to.
He better be - there are guys out there (and by out there, I certainly don't mean in our own minor league system, despite how great one good and a few serviceable pitchers have convinced a section of the board that every talent evaluator is wrong) that are upgrades.

I guess we should be happy our biggest concern is bench players right now.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Dan Johnson? What's he been up to at AAA lately?
He's batting .268 with 25 HRs and 73 RBIs.

He hasn't done much against MLB pitching since 2007. Could he help the Sox? Maybe, but I can't see him being a huge difference maker.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
He better be - there are guys out there (and by out there, I certainly don't mean in our own minor league system, despite how great one good and a few serviceable pitchers have convinced a section of the board that every talent evaluator is wrong) that are upgrades.

I guess we should be happy our biggest concern is bench players right now.
The state of the bench is a great example of just how poor of a system the Sox have.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:32 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
He's batting .268 with 25 HRs and 73 RBIs.

He hasn't done much against MLB pitching since 2007. Could he help the Sox? Maybe, but I can't see him being a huge difference maker.
He did plenty for the Rays last year in a pinch hit role.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:25 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
The state of the bench is a great example of just how poor of a system the Sox have.
I guess, but they're also only in this position because of guys like Quintana, De Aza, Reed, most of the bullpen, etc... All guys who were all in the Sox farm system at some point in the last 12 months.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesero View Post
Another instance of people only remembering games that happen that involve the Sox.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...=2011&t=b#defp

He was 1 for 7 as a PH, with that one hit being the homer off Thornton, and sucked otherwise.

In his career as a PH, he is 4 for 29 with 2 HR and 5 RBI.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...areer&t=b#defp

A few clicks gets you the facts. Doesn't anyone want to take a few minutes to look anything up?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesero View Post
He was 1-for-7 in that role last season. Yes, it was a big hit, but that's one at-bat.

His numbers for the season were .119/.187/.202.

The year before that: .198/.343/.414.

The year before that he batted .215 in Japan.

Let's not make him out to be great.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:44 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Another instance of people only remembering games that happen that involve the Sox.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...=2011&t=b#defp

He was 1 for 7 as a PH, with that one hit being the homer off Thornton, and sucked otherwise.

In his career as a PH, he is 4 for 29 with 2 HR and 5 RBI.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...areer&t=b#defp

A few clicks gets you the facts. Doesn't anyone want to take a few minutes to look anything up?
Actually, I believe the pinch-hit HR was against the Yankees with two outs in the ninth that game where the Rays rallied to make the playoffs on the final day of the season. He also homered off Thornton last year, it was a 3-run shot and not in a pinch-hitting role.

Other than that, we're on the same side in this debate. I suppose Dan Johnson could help the Sox, but I wouldn't bank on it. He's never been good at the MLB level.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Actually, I believe the pinch-hit HR was against the Yankees with two outs in the ninth that game where the Rays rallied to make the playoffs on the final day of the season. He also homered off Thornton last year, it was a 3-run shot and not in a pinch-hitting role.

Other than that, we're on the same side in this debate. I suppose Dan Johnson could help the Sox, but I wouldn't bank on it. He's never been good at the MLB level.
Was Johnson the guy you said is out of options if we bring him up?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I guess, but they're also only in this position because of guys like Quintana, De Aza, Reed, most of the bullpen, etc... All guys who were all in the Sox farm system at some point in the last 12 months.
I know I'm nitpicking here, but DeAza was on the team last year and we knew he was going to be starting this year. He's had a great season and is definitely a surprise. Reed was also going to be on the team this year as well. The 2 guys who have been surprising are Nate Jones and Quintana. But those are pitchers. There is nothing when it comes to position players. Escobar might have been useful, but he's a maybe at best. They have no position players ready to come up and take a spot on the bench or fill in for someone if there's an injury, and that's pretty sad.