White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 10:05 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default Selig On Changes To Instant Replay

Plans on adding trapped balls in the OF, and bullets down the LF/RF line.
There is no timetable, but the Commissioner said in Jan. it won't happen during the 2012 season or postseason.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...5151065363-996
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 07-28-2012, 11:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Couldn't they do something like they have in tennis for fair and foul balls down the line?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Plans on adding trapped balls in the OF, and bullets down the LF/RF line.
There is no timetable, but the Commissioner said in Jan. it won't happen during the 2012 season or postseason.
I can't wait to see how they handle it when a ball that was ruled foul is found to be fair, or a ball that was called a catch is ruled a trap on replay. How will they know how far base runners would have advanced? After all, once the "foul" or "out" call is made, they'll stop running and go back to their bases. The arguments ought to be amazing.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 07-29-2012, 06:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I can't wait to see how they handle it when a ball that was ruled foul is found to be fair, or a ball that was called a catch is ruled a trap on replay. How will they know how far base runners would have advanced? After all, once the "foul" or "out" call is made, they'll stop running and go back to their bases. The arguments ought to be amazing.
It would probably be easiest to handle it the same way a ground-rule double is handled vs. fan interference. The former is a 2 base advance while the latter is subject to umpire discretion. Most traps occur when an outfielder is coming in for a ball. So, that would be 1 base while a ball down either line would be 2 bases.

After seeing Flowers throw out two Ranger base runners last night, I'd like to see steal attempts added to the list of reviewable plays.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

I still don't understand why the official scorer can't be used to relay correct calls down to the umps for all calls that are incorrect.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiehaswheels View Post
I still don't understand why the official scorer can't be used to relay correct calls down to the umps for all calls that are incorrect.
Because the official scorer is provided by the home team.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:20 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiehaswheels View Post
Quote:
Because the official scorer is provided by the home team.
If you want replay, just hire an extra ump and sit him next to the scorer and a television set and have him point out obvious mistakes. Anything else sucks. Hell, you could put a few guys in a room in NYC watching a bunch of games at once to do the same thing to save $.

I hate replay in sports.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:54 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
They'll basically be going from one judgement call to another and that will create just as much controversey. Maybe they'll decide to work it like we did as kids and have a "do over". We all know the biggest difference makers in the game are the ball and strike decisions but I don't want electronic umpires. We've lived with human error for 100+ years in this game and we can keep on living with it. I'm getting a bit tired of this sport trying to mimic what they do in football. It's a different game.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:13 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox59 View Post
We've lived with human error for 100+ years in this game and we can keep on living with it.

I'm in the camp that wants to see the correct call every single time, if possible. In the early 1900s they had no choice but to live with human error--nowadays the technology to move away from that is all there, we just choose not to use it. For instance--we see the pitch tracker after every single pitch and can immediatly tell whether it was a ball or strike.

Personally I think the botched call that cost Detroit a perfect game a few years back was the beginning of a movement that will eventually result in a dramatic shift as to how games are officiated. If a missed call ever dramatically impacts a World Series, things will get very interesting.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 AM
WSI Regular

I'd rather have no technology than risk moving towards a scenario where balls & strikes are called by pitch trax or similar. My worry is that each year another human element to the game will disappear. The fact that mistakes are made (or not made as the case may be) is why some games are still talked about years later.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:24 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Source: MLB owners approved the trial of two advanced instant-replay systems to be used in games beginning next week.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
Old 08-17-2012, 06:21 PM
WSI Village Atheist

I can't wait for the day when balls and strikes are called electronically, and element of the vindictive umpire is removed from the game. No teal.

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W
August 30 (2) L
September 14 L
September 27 W

Next Game: ??
Old 08-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
I'm in the camp that wants to see the correct call every single time, if possible. In the early 1900s they had no choice but to live with human error--nowadays the technology to move away from that is all there, we just choose not to use it. For instance--we see the pitch tracker after every single pitch and can immediatly tell whether it was a ball or strike.

Personally I think the botched call that cost Detroit a perfect game a few years back was the beginning of a movement that will eventually result in a dramatic shift as to how games are officiated. If a missed call ever dramatically impacts a World Series, things will get very interesting.
The St. Louis Cardinals would like to have a word with you.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
I can't wait for the day when balls and strikes are called electronically, and element of the vindictive umpire is removed from the game. No teal.
You mean that people don't want to see Joe West call games? Ridiculous!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:46 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsoxfan View Post
I'd rather have no technology than risk moving towards a scenario where balls & strikes are called by pitch trax or similar. My worry is that each year another human element to the game will disappear. The fact that mistakes are made (or not made as the case may be) is why some games are still talked about years later.
Injustice isn't a spice, it is a contaminant. I don't care how much you enjoy E.Coli on your pizza because "that's the way it's always been," I'll take my pizza made by androids with no bacteria, thanks.