White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHurt3515 View Post
Has anyone heard anything about Trenton Moses out of Southeast Missouri
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
Great year at SEMO, but I don't see in top 10 rds unless super cheap as 5th-yr SR. @professorfog: Round Trenton Moses is picked? #mlbdraft
Reply Retweet Favorite
Old 05-28-2012, 01:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
Great year at SEMO, but I don't see in top 10 rds unless super cheap as 5th-yr SR. @professorfog: Round Trenton Moses is picked? #mlbdraft
Reply Retweet Favorite
Thank you. I went there last spring and saw him play. He is going to be good but I think he needs to learn 1B.

Sox attendence record
5-3 (from St. Louis)

Next game: TBD
Old 05-28-2012, 04:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Baseball America's Top 500 Draft Prospects
Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Another good draft site : http://prospectinsider.com/

My buddy Chris is one of the scouts/writers there. He also writes for ESPN.com, good stuff.

He was telling me the Sox are kind of enamored with Smoral lately. That said, he had them going elsewhere in his mock.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I hope they take Buxton too, but it sounds like the owner wants a safer, quick to the majors pitcher. It really sounds like they will be taking Appel, who has great stuff but is very inconsistent and doesn't get the results that he should. Twins would love for Buxton to fall to them.
After reading this article on Boras and the new draft rules, I'm not so sure:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...dopt-draft-mlb

The Astros have historically not played Boras' games, especially after they got the shaft in Boras' snarky negotiating tactics with them and the Mets over Carlos Beltran. Crane may be a bit different than previous owner McLane, but he's got smart baseball people running things.

If Boras expects any team (much less the Astros who need every pick) to forfeit a future pick and diminish what they can offer their remaining picks (affecting their signability) looking for an old non-slot bonus as a going price for Appel, good luck with that.

The kid's not Strasberg, and he's not even Porcello. I wonder who's the agent for Buxton.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:10 AM
WSI High Priest

KG's mock of the first 15 picks:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=17223

Has the Sox taking Stroman, but the buzz for them has been around Wacha according to most sources.

I'm a big Stroman fan as I've stated in the past. Two plus pitches, some of the best stuff in the draft. The knock on him is his height obviously. Probably has the greatest upside amongst the second tier of college arms that should be available around pick 13, but he might end up in the bullpen, albeit as an electric closer. I don't see the Sox picking him, but I prefer him to Wacha/Heaney/Stratton who are much safer picks.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:13 AM
WSI High Priest

BA's 3rd Mock:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...nly/#more-4778

Has the Sox on Wacha again. Fastball/Changeup guy who has inconsistent breaking pitches. Also has some issues with mechanics and repeatability. Middle of the rotation type, maybe a bit more if this breaking pitch can be refined.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
KG's mock of the first 15 picks:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=17223

Has the Sox taking Stroman, but the buzz for them has been around Wacha according to most sources.

I'm a big Stroman fan as I've stated in the past. Two plus pitches, some of the best stuff in the draft. The knock on him is his height obviously. Probably has the greatest upside amongst the second tier of college arms that should be available around pick 13, but he might end up in the bullpen, albeit as an electric closer. .
Please. No bullpen pitchers with first round picks. What a waste. Let's draft some high ceiling.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Sickels posted his MLB Draft Top 100 with some blurbs about each player.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...outing-reports

Of late many people are super high on Correa. I'd wager the Cubs are hoping he falls to 6.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I hope the Astros grab Buxton.

The top college pitchers look good, but there's no Strasberg there, and you never know how they'll turn out. A toolsy outfielder would be a better pick, especially with the bigger focus on offense in the AL.

Besides, they have some nice pitching prospects already, and look to add more in the midseason deals of Myers, Wandy Rodriguez and Carlos Lee.
According to Goldstein's list, Cosart is about it for their system. But they need pitching. They shot their best bullets with Pence, Oswalt and Bourne, but they have a lot of players and prospects that are interesting to show for it.
They may get lucky and get an A prospect for Myers, but I doubt it. Wandy and Lee won't bring much beyond salary relief. All 3 are overpaid. And that's the real mistake the Astros made that put them in this fix - just overpaid too many players.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Sickels' latest mock draft.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...-johns-version
Old 06-03-2012, 12:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I could live with either Stratton or Stroman. I still hope the Sox pounce on Dahl if he falls to us for whatever reason. I wouldn't object to Wacha either (who seems to be mentioned in connection with the Sox a lot), as far as college righties go.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM
WSI High Priest

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm
According to source the Houston Astros are expected to select Stanford RHP Mark Appel with the first over all selection in tomorrows draft.
Reply Retweet Favorite

Meh. I'd much rather have Buxton or Correa.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
I could live with either Stratton or Stroman. I still hope the Sox pounce on Dahl if he falls to us for whatever reason. I wouldn't object to Wacha either (who seems to be mentioned in connection with the Sox a lot), as far as college righties go.
That's my dream scenario...Sox take Dahl at #13 and get Jorge Soler who just became a FA. Can you imagine those two dynamic talents in the Sox farm system along with a resurgent Jared Mitchell? Yes please!!

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
That's my dream scenario...Sox take Dahl at #13 and get Jorge Soler who just became a FA. Can you imagine those two dynamic talents in the Sox farm system along with a resurgent Jared Mitchell? Yes please!!
I wouldn't mind Dahl. All signs point to college pitching though. The Sox are in love with Wacha it seems. They must be confident in refining a breaking pitch as well as cleaning up his mechanics/delivery.