Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 04:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Answer to #3.....Going to Sox games in 1970.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox230 View Post
3) What is love?
Love is unconditional - You love the Sox regardless of Kenny's failures, Ozzie's mouth, Dunn's appendix (and subsequent fail of a season), the White Flag trade, The Blacksox scandal and the first game ever at the new Comiskey that you paid a scalper $250/seat to attend.

Love will make you do crazy things - like staying at the opening game of the 2006 season for the whole thing or continuing to go to and watch games in the second half of 2007.

Love is continuing to post at WSI - regardless of the ranting, anger and obsessive pollyannaishness (new word of the day - it's mine, but you can use it) of many of the posters.

Love is baseball season in all it's frustrating joyous glory...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-05-2012, 04:51 PM
WSI Personality

Love is a battlefield.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 PM
WSI Guru

"Love is all around"- The Troggs 1968.

JR is a very loyal man, sometimes that works in your favor, sometimes it doesn't. He's not going to change his ways at this stage in his life.

Eventually massive change will come to the organization and we'll see how it responds to it.

Lip
Old 05-05-2012, 07:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Maybe Williams is controllable.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Also possible JR thinks KW is a good GM whose just had a string of bad luck.
The thing is, you objectively can't tell. A fan or a casual observer can't anyway. There is no experimental control to prove whether Kenny Williams is a bad general manager who got lucky and built the only Chicago baseball champion since World War I was being fought to a standstill and Babe Ruth was an elite pitcher, or a great general manager who through bad luck managed to win only one championship in a century when only two teams have won two and only two championships.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

2013 Attendance Record: 0-1

JACK....BACK IN 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Makes you wonder that the best player on the team is one Ron Shueler aquired
Old 05-05-2012, 11:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
Makes you wonder that the best player on the team is one Ron Shueler aquired
Not for long, really. You are talking about Paul Konerko. There was a time when the best player on the White Sox was a player drafted by a general manager let go by the Cubs after he left the White Sox.

What would make me wonder is if the best player on the White Sox were a .260-hitter acquired in a trade for Konerko. Fortunately, I don't have to do that.

In fact, there was a time in the 1970s when the best player on the Atlanta Braves was signed from a Negro Leagues team when the Braves were still a Boston team.

Last edited by TDog; 05-05-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 AM
WSI Regular

KW's Dunn and Peavy trades are paying off this season and Roben Ventura was a good decision for Manager. At the risk of getting singed here KW has done well this year.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Blaming the fans for the team's problems is an old scape-goating piece of nonsense. We are not obligated to attend one game a season. Loyalty is a two-way street and I just don't blindly give my loyalty to anyone.

As far as Reinsdorf not getting much heat, it is hard to argue with two three-peats even if the Bulls haven't done anything since Jordan left. And obviously, who do you have to compare Reinsdorf to? Bill Wirtz was awful and drove a once proud franchise into the ground. The Tribune Company won next to nothing. The Bears are run by a family that is always behind the rest of the league and their team has been to a grand total of one Super Bowl since the great 1985 team.

I attended games in 1970, too. That owner was a nice man, but he didn't have the resources or the know-how to run a baseball team. Reinsdorf does have one last place finish but his team didn't never lost 106 games.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
Blaming the fans for the team's problems is an old scape-goating piece of nonsense. We are not obligated to attend one game a season. Loyalty is a two-way street and I just don't blindly give my loyalty to anyone.

I guess a lot of fans feel like you do, the Sox are 29th out of 30 in attendance so far this year.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post

As far as Reinsdorf not getting much heat, it is hard to argue with two three-peats even if the Bulls haven't done anything since Jordan left. And obviously, who do you have to compare Reinsdorf to? Bill Wirtz was awful and drove a once proud franchise into the ground. The Tribune Company won next to nothing. The Bears are run by a family that is always behind the rest of the league and their team has been to a grand total of one Super Bowl since the great 1985 team.

I attended games in 1970, too. That owner was a nice man, but he didn't have the resources or the know-how to run a baseball team. Reinsdorf does have one last place finish but his team didn't never lost 106 games.
How are the Sox being disloyal?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox230 View Post
3) What is love?
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perserveres. Love never fails."

St. Paul - 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 PM
WSI Prelate

In the last 5 years or so:
Swisher 1 and Swisher 2 were awful trades. It's hard to get much worse.
Jackson 1 was bad.
The rest were in the "meh" range really.
But there really haven't been any good ones. Peavy won't turn out that bad, but in the end, we paid a ton of salary and got one year out of Peavy (hopefully we get that 1) and we could have gotten someone else trading all those young players.
He hasn't been a productive GM.
I'm sure he'll move along in the next year or so. I just hope he doesn't start trading the little young talent we have in the meantime.