White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 PM
WSI Personality

I took metra home after a game last year when both the regularly scheduled train and the special post game trains arrived within minutes of each other. They ended up making one an express to the burbs and the other an all stop. I was impressed. That said, if they are not going to run that extra post game train then they should adjust the schedule. I've taken all of these late trains at one time or another and they are always pretty empty unless there is a fest or major concert downtown. The only people usually on those late trains are students, people who had to work late, post work drinkers, and a few people with unique work schedules. Metra owns the Rock Island tracks so they can adjust the times to whatever they want. They do change the times around once a year so if there are enough complaints then they will figure something out.

I heard a conductor telling another passenger that the 1/2 price Monday post game trains were the worse for out of control passengers. The college age kids get wasted before and during the game and then get on the train and fight with each other. I saw it happen once. The metra cops arrested a couple of kids and took them off the train at 111th.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:15 PM
WSI High Priest

If they can afford to run all those extra trains to and from Ravinia, then they can afford one train after Sox games.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
If they can afford to run all those extra trains to and from Ravinia, then they can afford one train after Sox games.
Because the cost and additional revenue are pretty much the same? I'm guessing you know this, otherwise what is the basis for this statement?

All hail The Rick
Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

How difficult would it be to push the 9:51 back a half hour?
Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiffleBall View Post
the 1/2 price Monday post game trains were the worse for out of control passengers.
1/2 price Mondays, in general, are the worst.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel
This makes perfect sense.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
This makes perfect sense.
I would have to agree with that. By waiting a little longer I imagine they would have more passengers. The station is there now so why not maximize its use while still doing your best to be cost effective?

Last edited by SI1020; 04-29-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I would have to agree with that. By waiting a little longer I imagine they would have more passengers. The station is there now so why not maximize its use while still doing your best to be cost effective?
The problem I see with a scheduled train each evening is that game endings are so variable. Red Sox and Yankee pitchers tend to go very slow, so games could end nearly at 11, whereas the White Sox have some of the fastest workers, so games could end at 9:30. Or a game might go into extras, etc.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack

The problem I see with a scheduled train each evening is that game endings are so variable. Red Sox and Yankee pitchers tend to go very slow, so games could end nearly at 11, whereas the White Sox have some of the fastest workers, so games could end at 9:30. Or a game might go into extras, etc.
Fair enough. So have the "special" train leave LaSalle Street Station five minutes after the game ends (or after the post game fireworks end) so fans know that they won't miss the train.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Fair enough. So have the "special" train leave LaSalle Street Station five minutes after the game ends (or after the post game fireworks end) so fans know that they won't miss the train.
Was that what Metra was doing to begin with, before cancelling it?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Because the cost and additional revenue are pretty much the same? I'm guessing you know this, otherwise what is the basis for this statement?
Ravinia fits 18,500 people MAX. Some shows sell out, some have 3,000 people at most attending. Yet after every show, Metra has a special run in to the city. If they can afford to do it for Ravinia, they can do it for USCF -- oh wait, it's Metra, which has pissed on the South Side/South Suburbs for DECADES.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
Ravinia fits 18,500 people MAX. Some shows sell out, some have 3,000 people at most attending. Yet after every show, Metra has a special run in to the city. If they can afford to do it for Ravinia, they can do it for USCF -- oh wait, it's Metra, which has pissed on the South Side/South Suburbs for DECADES.
Metra is also the only train line at Ravinia--it's been an option for as long as Ravinia has been around. Many people take the El to and from Sox games. I'm guessing the ridership to and from Sox games on Metra is quite a bit less than Ravinia, as it's a new option and not the only one.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel View Post
It would probably make more sense to move sense to move that 11:21 up a half an hour. These days games run three hours. That's 10:10. Under the old extra system that train wouldn't have left 35th until 10:40 anyway. Having the scheduled train leave at 10:50 isn't much of a stretch.

When they fiddled with the schedule after 35th street opened they moved that train up 20 minutes (it used to leave LasSalle at 10:55 instead of the current 11:15.) Can't see why they just can't just move it back.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel View Post
That's what I think would be best also. In fact, go back to the old thread where the 35th St. station was first discussed - I predicted it would be unlikely they'd add any extra trains (people on here were adding trains like it was a game of Rail Barons).
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 AM
WSI Regular

I took the train back to Evanston from Ravinia with some friends last year. Train was packed. So packed that there was no way the conductors could go through and collect fares. Not their fault, there aren't enough of them. Frankly I thought it would be better if they collected a flat rate from everyone entering the platform, no matter how far you were planning to go. This summer might be different, as I remember reading last year that Metra really wanted to cut down on people riding free because fares don't get collected. But the point is, the train there is certainly utilized. As previously stated, many people take the Red Line to the ballpark.
If there seems to be a need for it, I would imagine Metra would reinstate it at some point in the future.