White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 PM
WSI Regular

Soxphile, you hit the nail on the head IMHO. From the day he came into the major leagues commentators such as Steve Stone and many others stated that if he didn't change his mechanics he was going to wear his arm out in 2 -3 years. Sure enough, he wouldn't listen and he has spent much of his career in the dugout. His health problems are due solely to his own arrogance and stubborness. Whether he ever had the ability to become a hall of famer, I'll leave that to debate by the learned scholars on sports talk radio, but he could have been pretty good.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Burg View Post
Soxphile, you hit the nail on the head IMHO. From the day he came into the major leagues commentators such as Steve Stone and many others stated that if he didn't change his mechanics he was going to wear his arm out in 2 -3 years. Sure enough, he wouldn't listen and he has spent much of his career in the dugout. His health problems are due solely to his own arrogance and stubborness. Whether he ever had the ability to become a hall of famer, I'll leave that to debate by the learned scholars on sports talk radio, but he could have been pretty good.
True. He knew his mechanics were a problem and refused to alter them. However, from all indications Wood is a very nice guy, in stark contrast to Mark Prior who was a raging dillhole.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM
WSI High Priest

You can be a nice guy, yet still be arrogant and stubborn. Those who feel, justly or unjustly, that they are one of the best will always have a bit of a chip on their shoulders. But, towards others and in ways of help/caring/charity; they might be very giving and supportive.

I think Kerry is one of those guys. The "who's he?" shows he didn't respect Steve Stone for Steve's accomplishments; but he has given quite a deal to charity and the community of Chicago.

Breast Cancer Awareness doesn't end on Oct. 31st. Folks, get educated on it and get involved. Ladies, please get tested. For more info, visit www.komen.org.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Ok, I did promise to post it here. (My God, were some of those calls BRUTAL today.)

Submitted by The Frontman

This one goes out to Tim Buffoon....I mean, Tim Baffoe.

Earlier this week, some 3 days after Phil Humber's perfect game, you got around to blogging about Humber's performance and comparing it to Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game. What earned you this crap was not the comparisons between the two, even the debate that Kerry Wood's performance was "more dominant" which you provided some good saber-metrics to support (after the statement "I don't want to go all saber-metric on you but...")

No, what earned you this crap is the simple fact you stated in your blog's title that it was "better than perfect."

As an English teacher, you should be familiar with the concept of what words mean. After all, this is how you make a living part of the time. However, since you had failed to look up the very basic definition of perfect, I thought I'd allow Dan to read it to you:

Adjective:
Having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be.
Verb:
Make (something) completely free from faults or defects, or as close to such a condition as possible.
Noun:
The perfect tense.

You cannot get beyond perfect. Phil Humber's performance, by the standard that Major League Baseball has set, was perfect. Kerry Wood was NOT perfect. He allowed a hit, he walked one batter and hit another batter. I'm sure Craig Biggio would point out plunking an opposing batter isn't even close to perfect execution.

As much as you'd wish it, and as much as Cubs fans want a perfect game, Kerry Wood's 20K game isn't a write-in candidate to be included among the 21 perfect games. Yes, Kerry Wood was dominant that day back in 1998. His 20 strike outs were by far impressive, and will be a part of baseball history.

It's not perfect, nor is it "better than perfect."

Tim, we pretty much know you're going to be on this segment as "Ten Foot Midget." You'll use that University of Iowa-Governor's State University over-under combo education of yours to write some impressively big words rant against someone.

Sadly, that education of yours never bothered to include the concept of knowing what any of those impressively big words mean.

Next time you're sitting in your empty pizza place, waiting to deliver to a customer on a Saturday afternoon, grab a smart phone or I-pad, spend some time on dictionary.com and look up some of them.

I'd suggest you begin with the word "perfect."

Tim Baffoe, who you crappin?
Old 04-26-2012, 05:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
Ok, I did promise to post it here. (My God, were some of those calls BRUTAL today.)

Earlier this week, some 3 days after Phil Humber's perfect game, you got around to blogging about Humber's performance and comparing it to Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game. What earned you this crap was not the comparisons between the two, even the debate that Kerry Wood's performance was "more dominant" which you provided some good saber-metrics to support (after the statement "I don't want to go all saber-metric on you but...")
No, what earned you this crap is the simple fact you stated in your blog's title that it was "better than perfect."

As an English teacher, you should be familiar with the concept of what words mean. After all, this is how you make a living part of the time. However, since you had failed to look up the very basic definition of perfect, I thought I'd allow Dan to read it to you:

Adjective:
Having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be.
Verb:
Make (something) completely free from faults or defects, or as close to such a condition as possible.
Noun:
The perfect tense.

You cannot get beyond perfect. Phil Humber's performance, by the standard that Major League Baseball has set, was perfect. Kerry Wood was NOT perfect. He allowed a hit, he walked one batter and hit another batter. I'm sure Craig Biggio would point out plunking an opposing batter isn't even close to perfect execution.

As much as you'd wish it, and as much as Cubs fans want a perfect game, Kerry Wood's 20K game isn't a write-in candidate to be included among the 21 perfect games. Yes, Kerry Wood was dominant that day back in 1998. His 20 strike outs were by far impressive, and will be a part of baseball history.

Tim, we pretty much know you're going to be on this segment as "Ten Foot Midget." You'll use that University of Iowa-Governor's State University over-under combo education of yours to write some impressively big words rant against someone.

Sadly, that education of yours never bothered to include the concept of knowing what any of those impressively big words mean.

Next time you're sitting in your empty pizza place, waiting to deliver to a customer on a Saturday afternoon, grab a smart phone or I-pad, spend some time on dictionary.com and look up some of them.

So I guess you were correct in predicting that it wouldn't make it to the air? No surprise there. And very nicely done, Front!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post
i just don't get it. On a down day where neither team is playing and there is nothing to report, compare away. However, if you're going to do it have 2 separate writers give his take to why one is better than the other (i.e. Writer a gives his take on why wood's performance is better and writer b gives his take on why humber's performance is better).

Don't give a one sided take 2-3 days after perfection. Let the guy experience and enjoy the performance!

Not only that, wood isn't the only 20k game. Anyone remember 2 300w pitchers, in roger clemens and randy johnson? Yeah, they did that too. That is where this comparison should start and end, with these 3 guys. Compare their games with one another. Compare other perfect games with other perfect games.

humber/buehrle 27 up and 27 down. Wood 29 up 27 down. Yeah, just doesn't have the same ring to it.
game

set

match
Old 04-27-2012, 02:30 AM
WSI Prelate

I believe what everyone is overlooking in Kerry Wood's performance is tainted because it the Astros had never faced him before. Despite winning 102 games, they had trouble against pitchers they had never faced before. For example, look at how badly they did against Kerry Wood, who came into the game with an ERA of 5.89. The Dodgers had scored 7 earned runs against Wood, knocking him out in the second inning. Obviously, a rookie pitcher who had done that poorly against the Dodgers should have been meat to the Astros lineup.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXPHILE View Post
I was just going to post the same thing. He used to always call in to the "Who You Crappin ?" segment each Thursday, and do a long winded diatrabe, full of big words to try and impress Bernstein and show how just ever so smart he was. One of the most annoying callers in a segment full of the same, regular annyoing callers. Like Bernstein, always struck me as an insufferable, psuedo-intelletual jackass.

"Unemployed Lawyer" and "Gary in Evanston" are still the two worst crappers in history have had made me tune out of that stupid segment.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post

"Unemployed Lawyer" and "Gary in Evanston" are still the two worst crappers in history have had made me tune out of that stupid segment.
Gary in Evanston sounds like a single guy still living with his mom.

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 04-27-2012, 12:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Maddox Boy was especially brutal yesterday to start the segment. Usually pretty good, but when you start with

a: Soccer

and

b: Obscure soccer facts

as the basis of a crap? You're probably going to get the shotgun treatment sooner rather than later. I'm surprised they let him go on as long as they did.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Maddox Boy was especially brutal yesterday to start the segment. Usually pretty good, but when you start with

and

as the basis of a crap? You're probably going to get the shotgun treatment sooner rather than later. I'm surprised they let him go on as long as they did.
He was really bad. There were quite a few that were down right awful.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

and

I was very pleasantly surprised they did give him the shotgun. Maddux Boy is one of the Bernstein sycophants, in love with his own voice, and plays the role of Captain Obvious, regurgitating and agreeing with anything Bernstein says, which of course Bernstein loves to hear and usually gives him carte blanche to ramble on:

Bernstein : "Maddux Boy, you're on the air"

Maddux Boy : "Hello boys. Dan you are absolutely 100% correct in everything you have said about this Penn State scandal. Child molestation is always wrong, and never ever right. Also, on another note, yeah, you are 100% dead on about the Bears offensive line. They really need to be better at blocking or else Jay Cutler is going to get seriously hurt. Thanks guys, have a great day !"
Old 04-27-2012, 03:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Adjective:
Verb:
Noun:
The perfect tense.

Nicely done Frontman
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 04-28-2012, 04:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post
I stand by my theory - he'd be retired already had it not been for the 20-strikeout game.
I'm sure his 3.48 ERA over the last five years has nothing to do with it. Why Cleveland was paying him ten million a year on the other hand is another question all together.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Many baseball fans are hitorians to a degree and there is nothing wrong with comparing one accomplishment with another. However, Cubs fans prove one thing when they try to demean an accomplishemnt of a Sox player: That they don't care what the Sox do and are not jealous any thing the Sox do is one big myth. It is a myth constantly told by Cubs fans and the local sports media.

One other thing that it proves is that Cub fans hold onto selected memories because they have no recent successes to remember. Their team hasn't even appeared in a World Series in almost seven decades and they haven't won a playoff game in nearly 10 years. That's why when Paul Konerko hits his 400th home run, you don't don't hear a beep out of them and when a Sox pitcher throws a perfect game, we are treated to a walk down the Kerry Wood memory lane.

I really have nothing against anybody who plays for the Cubs. It is the team's phony tradition I can't stand.