White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who makes the playoffs first?
Padres 9 18.37%
Pirates 7 14.29%
Mets 12 24.49%
Athletics 3 6.12%
Mariners 3 6.12%
Royals 5 10.20%
Twins 4 8.16%
Orioles 5 10.20%
Astros 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Default Who makes the playoffs first?

I've asked this question in years past, and it's always interesting to see the answer unfold. A few years ago, Milwaukee and Texas were on the list and Minnesota was nowhere near it.

My vote goes to the Padres. They were somewhat close a couple years ago, and they always seem to build up for a 2-3 year run. The extra wildcard only helps their chances. Plus, I still think the NL West is a weak division. The AL East and West teams on the list will have a very hard time overtaking the other teams in their divisions. The Royals will probably get some votes, but I just can't go with them.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

My vote goes to the Mariners. If they can just get their guys to hit, they've got the pitching staff to at least get into the playoffs in my mind. How far they go after that point is anyone's guess.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 AM
WSI Personality

I voted Pirates. They have some decent bats, but they need atleast one more quality SP if they are to compete in the weak NL Central. I can see them managing to win the wildcard within the next 3 to four years.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Off the top of my head:

Padres - Just missed the playoffs are recently as two years ago. NL West appears to lack a dominate team for now.
Pirates - Rumor is they're slowly headed in the right direction. NL Central doesn't appear to be terribly strong in the near future.
Mets - Now that Wilpon's Madoff issues have been resolved he can get back to worrying about the Mets. In the meantime the rest of the division has passed them by though.
Athletics - I don't see them doing anything beyond trying to be competitive for cheap until their stadium situation is resolved.
Mariners - They have some nice young players and have shown a willingness to spend money in the past.
Royals - I thought this was their year? Or is it next year? I can't keep up.
Twins - Bottoming out.
Orioles - Since it's impossible to make the playoffs finishing fifth in a division, it's going to be awhile.
Astros - They're a long way from the playoffs, and moving to the AL isn't going to help matters.

I think the Mariners are the best team on the list. They have to battle with the Rangers and Angles though. I know it's possible for three teams from one division to make the playoffs, but that seems unlikely.

It comes down to the Padres, Pirates, and, maybe, the Royals to me. I have no faith in the Pirates or Royals so I'll vote for the Padres.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Hmmm....there seems to be a team missing from this poll.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:56 AM
WSI High Priest

I voted Mets because I think they are most likely to do a quick turnaround. I know that there are lingering Madoff issues, but now that they know what they are working with, they can get back on track somewhat more quickly than the others.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-24-2012, 10:59 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I voted Mets because I think they are most likely to do a quick turnaround. I know that there are lingering Madoff issues, but now that they know what they are working with, they can get back on track somewhat more quickly than the others.
That's who I voted for, too. I think it would have to be a National League team, which doesn't have the same kind of superpowers that AL does. Between the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, and Angels, that's potentially 4 of the 5 playoff spots seemingly every year. I know the Mets are kind of a joke right now, but they've got the resources to turn it around faster than probably any one else and the Phillies are starting to look their age, the Braves have yet to really put it all together, and the Marlins are still a mystery.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
That's who I voted for, too. I think it would have to be a National League team, which doesn't have the same kind of superpowers that AL does. Between the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, and Angels, that's potentially 4 of the 5 playoff spots seemingly every year. I know the Mets are kind of a joke right now, but they've got the resources to turn it around faster than probably any one else and the Phillies are starting to look their age, the Braves have yet to really put it all together, and the Marlins are still a mystery.
The Mets are in now what may be the toughest division in baseball. Plus I don't see the Wilpons being able to up payroll to match that market anywhere in the near future.

Because of that, I voted for San Diego. Weak division and they have some good young talent--that Latos trade certainly helped.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochpuppy View Post
Hmmm....there seems to be a team missing from this poll.
I tried to only include teams that are either in the middle of a long run of futility (Royals, Pirates, Orioles) or in the early stages of what looks to be a long run of futility (Twins, Mets).

I thought about including the cubbies, but didn't for no real reason. I guess I just didn't want to acknowledge their existence.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

I voted for the Mariners because their potential rotation in two to three years is scary good.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc
The division is a lot better now than their last bit of relevance in '06-08.

Washington, Miami, Atlanta, and The Phils are still a lot more talented.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:31 PM
WSI High Priest

I think Seattle and Kansas City will get better. KC is struggling, as we know now, but they were still a year or two away. .500 was the stretch maximum to expect, with no pitching staff.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
I think Seattle and Kansas City will get better. KC is struggling, as we know now, but they were still a year or two away. .500 was the stretch maximum to expect, with no pitching staff.
I do think the Mariners will improve, but they'll still have to compete with the likes of Los Angeles of Anaheim and Texas.

The Padres have less daunting competition in the Giants, Diamondbacks, Rockies and Dodgers; although perhaps the new ownership group will help the latter (though I'm rather skeptical if that sale turns out to have been as leveraged as I've read about).
Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The Mets are in now what may be the toughest division in baseball. Plus I don't see the Wilpons being able to up payroll to match that market anywhere in the near future.

Because of that, I voted for San Diego. Weak division and they have some good young talent--that Latos trade certainly helped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
The division is a lot better now than their last bit of relevance in '06-08.

Washington, Miami, Atlanta, and The Phils are still a lot more talented.
I'm not that high on Philly and Atlanta. Philly's lineup is ageing and injured, and Atlanta's pitching was never as good long-term as it seemed the first four months of last season. I would not be surprised to see any of the four teams besides the Mets win that division this year, but that is only because each team has major flaws that the other teams can exploit. I expect Philly to continue to decline, Atlanta to continue to have pitching problems, and Washington and Miami to go through growing pains. The Mets don't have to increase payroll to improve the roster, they just have to make enough shrewd moves. I don't think they are that far behind the other four.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:35 PM
WSI Guru

Given the circumstances I have a hard time seeing how any of these clubs have any chance to make the playoffs in the foreseeable future.

Lip