White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 06:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Update on the fireworks: the big boomers will be back.

I found it difficult to believe that the Sox would drop the big fireworks after all these years based on a lone complaint. I wrote to Brooks Boyer and asked about it. He replied that there was no complaint, but rather that the quieter display was the suggestion of their fireworks vendor, who thought the ones they used would look better in the daytime. Brooks said they tried it, didn't like it, and that they're going back to the noisemakers.

Major kudos to Brooks for his responsiveness. He's a pro.

Winning games is the most important thing, but the fireworks have been a part of us for 50 years and I'm glad to know that they're not going away.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post

I found it difficult to believe that the Sox would drop the big fireworks after all these years based on a lone complaint. I wrote to Brooks Boyer and asked about it. He replied that there was no complaint, but rather that the quieter display was the suggestion of their fireworks vendor, who thought the ones they used would look better in the daytime. Brooks said they tried it, didn't like it, and that they're going back to the noisemakers.

Winning games is the most important thing, but the fireworks have been a part of us for 50 years and I'm glad to know that they're not going away.

YES!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Awesome news!
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by everafan View Post
I think that Na Na Hey Hey tradition was originally for opposing pitcher leaving the game during an inning. I think they added it to HR's and I never remember it after games. So I feel like they ae getting back to tradition there.

However, something that is new at the park is that there is much less participation in singing Na Na Hey Hey - like people aren't aware of it. Bummer.
When it started in '77, it was for the opposing pitcher. Especially in '78 it was used for big homers, then as a rally song and also was played after the end of wins, especially exciting wins.

Sadly, Nancy leaving and the use of precanned DJ audio has lessened the impact of this Sox tradition, that has spread all over the world.

Maybe someday it will come back to it's former prominence on the South Side.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

I wrote to Brooks Boyer and asked about it.

Thanks for getting the lowdown!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Great News! Thanks for the update.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:41 PM
2012 NFL pick 'em Champion

I really noticed the lack of aerial bombs during AJ's homer tonight, its not the same without them. I'm glad they are bringing them back.

Home :53 Away :52 Alternate :40 Alternate 1983 :17
Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

I was at the game tonight and there were zero mortars. Just the colorful rockets if that's what you call them. The pre-game fireworks and the homerun fireworks.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox102 View Post
I was at the game tonight and there were zero mortars. Just the colorful rockets if that's what you call them. The pre-game fireworks and the homerun fireworks.
Brooks said they'll be back at the next homestand. I assume the board is equipped (reloaded?) as part of the ballpark's maintenance on the off days.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Good news re the fireworks. Couldn't even hear the pre-gamers go off on Sunday (when they announce the players) and I was IN the park.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Glad the mortars will be returning. Now on to getting those pinwheels fixed...

2014 Attendance Record: 15-11
2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 PM
WSI Personality

Pretty quiet again tonight at the start of the game. Let's hope this is fixed by the next homestand.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Went to my first game of the year today (Apr. 19).

Is it just me, or did they eliminate that 20-minute announcement about how to get every section in the park out in case of emergency? That thing was so long and monotonous, it was putting people to sleep.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post
Went to my first game of the year today (Apr. 19).

Is it just me, or did they eliminate that 20-minute announcement about how to get every section in the park out in case of emergency? That thing was so long and monotonous, it was putting people to sleep.
They played the Emergency Evacuation video on Opening Day.