White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 09:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default "Ventura sees lots of potential in Jared Mitchell"

Article by Gonzo.

I see lots of potential too, but his season last year is just impossible to ignore. That ankle injury in 2010 really took the wind out of this kid's sails.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 02-26-2012, 10:18 PM
WSI High Priest

I see a great athlete with plenty of tools that haven't translated to baseball skills yet. As ****ty as the injury circumstances are, it's getting close to a make or break year for him. He needs to significantly improve on his strikeout/contact issues.

I still have no problem with the draft pick. A toolsy up the middle player with All-Star potential if things pan out? Yes please. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Sometimes it just doesn't work out.
See Borchard, Joe.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I still have no problem with the draft pick. A toolsy up the middle player with All-Star potential if things pan out? Yes please. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.
Agreed. I remember watching him in the CWS and being "wowed" by his bat speed and athleticism, but at the same time looking at his massive strikeout total for that season and thinking "that could be a problem".
Old 02-26-2012, 10:36 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Agreed. I remember watching him in the CWS and being "wowed" by his bat speed and athleticism, but at the same time looking at his massive strikeout total for that season and thinking "that could be a problem".
Sounds like Chris Young.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
One of Merkin's many fluff spring training pieces noted that he's tweaked his swing mechanics during instructs. We will see soon enough. I imagine he will be pushed to AA via the typical aggressive Sox way.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
One of Merkin's many fluff spring training pieces noted that he's tweaked his swing mechanics during instructs.
I always have a hard time buying into that as well. When you strike out as much as Jared does, a lot has to be mental or instinctual. A new approach can do wonders.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
See Borchard, Joe.
Indeed. It's truly aggravating that the Sox haven't produced a legitimate position player with a 1st round pick since Aaron Rowand in 1998.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Indeed. It's truly aggravating that the Sox haven't produced a legitimate position player with a 1st round pick since Aaron Rowand in 1998.
I know that Gordon Beckham has struggled at the plate but doesn't he count as a legitimate position player?
Old 02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I know that Gordon Beckham has struggled at the plate but doesn't he count as a legitimate position player?
He's been below average every season since his rookie year. I don't consider him a success unless his bat picks up. The defense is great and I value it significantly, but man, a .633 OPS is just abysmal. I might be inviting the ire of Daver, but his glove can only carry him so far.

Last edited by DirtySox; 02-29-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
He's been below average every season since his rookie year. I don't consider him a success unless his bat picks up. The defense is great and I value it significantly, but man, a .633 OPS is just abysmal. I might be inviting the ire of Daver, but his glove can only carry him so far.
In fairness to Beckham, in most organizations, he wouldn't have probably seen the field in '09 or '10 so last year would have been his rookie year. At 25, there's still time of him to turn it around. I don't think he'll ever be a superstar but I can see him becoming a .270/18/80 type of player which is pretty good for a second baseman that is a plus fielder.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
In fairness to Beckham, in most organizations, he wouldn't have probably seen the field in '09 or '10 so last year would have been his rookie year. At 25, there's still time of him to turn it around. I don't think he'll ever be a superstar but I can see him becoming a .270/18/80 type of player which is pretty good for a second baseman that is a plus fielder.
I would absolutely take that from Beckham, and I haven't given up on him yet. But until then I can't quality Beckham as a success.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I would absolutely take that from Beckham, and I haven't given up on him yet. But until then I can't quality Beckham as a success.
It's down right impossible to consider him a success at this point but I agree with you that it's too early to write him off as a failure. This is a big year for him though as he is now away from Walker, we'll find out if Beckham's struggles are related to or independent of Walker.

Go Sox!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
It's down right impossible to consider him a success at this point but I agree with you that it's too early to write him off as a failure. This is a big year for him though as he is now away from Walker, we'll find out if Beckham's struggles are related to or independent of Walker.
This year will be referendum on Walker (posthumous). I wouldn't be surprised to see Beckham bounce back along with a few others. Hitting coaches are probably overrated but in this case, I think the organization needed a new voice. We shall see...
Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think that Ventura is right. Mitchell looks fully healthy and has shown much improvement offensively and defensively this spring. I am very encouraged.