White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 05:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Default 2012 Minor League Catch-All

New year, new thread.

This is an all-purpose thread for minor league notes that don't really need their own thread. Please use this thread as such. Transactions, injuries, scouting blurbs, hot streaks, slumps, etc are all fair game.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Sickels has his farm system rankings up. First time he's done it. Guess who's last?

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...ings-prospects

Last edited by DirtySox; 01-23-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

"404 Sorry sports fan, we couldn’t find the page you’re looking for…"

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 01-23-2012, 05:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
"404 Sorry sports fan, we couldn’t find the page you’re looking for…"
Fixed.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Sickels has his farm system rankings up. First time he's done it. Guess who's last?

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...ings-prospects
Link fixed here.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-23-2012, 05:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Link fixed here.
Thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

I trust Sickels much more than the other sites, can't say I'm surprised to see us at the bottom of the heap. He has a much more professional approach in his write ups unlike the goofs at BP and BA.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I trust Sickels much more than the other sites, can't say I'm surprised to see us at the bottom of the heap. He has a much more professional approach in his write ups unlike the goofs at BP and BA.
Sickels is great. Baseball America I can go either way on, but Phil Rogers shouldn't be in charge of White Sox prospects lists. BP is largely Kevin Goldstein who I'm a fan of, but he's more statistically inclined and is a big tools guy with his prospects. It's just important to know the thought processes/tendencies of most of the guys. I generally enjoy having the different points of view from each place.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:21 PM
WSI Guru

I passed along to a source, the observation that some fans at WSI were wondering how Bell could get a promotion when according to a few sites, the Sox farm system is the worst in MLB. Just got the reply and I pass it along.

Some folks who know the minor league system like Dirty Sox might be able to amplify some of the observations:

"JR LOVES Buddy Bell, so he's set for life. There's a cartel among the Sox's front office that blames Duane Shaffer for everything.

Meanwhile, Doug Laumann was very testy after the first day of the 2011 draft and all the California guys he took, saying, ''contrary to what people think, I do leave the Ohio Valley."

I'm told he relies too much on Nick Hostetler (who is overmatched) and Derrek Valenzuela. Some call them "Starsky and Hutch."

As for the PD department, people will still blame Wilder and Regier. Regier had some bad hires during his two years running the show.

Best move today was getting Kirk Champion out of the pitching dept. How many pitchers have developed under Champ after being acquired from other organizations?

I think they got to spend more money in player development. Moving Champ out of that position was a good step. Doug has to get his friends out of there, but he'll do whatever Jerry says when it comes to the draft and taking the safe pick. Cost them every time.

Oh, and I leave you with this observation:

ChiTribRogers Buddy Bell's promotion to VP player development is another good sign for #whitesox front office. He's as experienced as it gets."

Lip
Old 01-23-2012, 07:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I passed along to a source, the observation that some fans at WSI were wondering how Bell could get a promotion when according to a few sites, the Sox farm system is the worst in MLB. Just got the reply and I pass it along.

Some folks who know the minor league system like Dirty Sox might be able to amplify some of the observations:

"JR LOVES Buddy Bell, so he's set for life. There's a cartel among the Sox's front office that blames Duane Shaffer for everything.

Meanwhile, Doug Laumann was very testy after the first day of the 2011 draft and all the California guys he took, saying, ''contrary to what people think, I do leave the Ohio Valley."

I'm told he relies too much on Nick Hostetler (who is overmatched) and Derrek Valenzuela. Some call them "Starsky and Hutch."

As for the PD department, people will still blame Wilder and Regier. Regier had some bad hires during his two years running the show.

Best move today was getting Kirk Champion out of the pitching dept. How many pitchers have developed under Champ after being acquired from other organizations?

I think they got to spend more money in player development. Moving Champ out of that position was a good step. Doug has to get his friends out of there, but he'll do whatever Jerry says when it comes to the draft and taking the safe pick. Cost them every time.

Oh, and I leave you with this observation:

ChiTribRogers Buddy Bell's promotion to VP player development is another good sign for #whitesox front office. He's as experienced as it gets."

Lip

I don't have much to say on that. Daver might. Though the deferring to Jerry in the draft with a safe pick continues to turn my stomach. Let the scouting and drafting people do their jobs and pick who they deem is worthy. Hard to hold people accountable when they aren't allowed to do their job. Ugh.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:47 PM
WSI Guru

Daver does know a lot about the system, I'd like to hear his opinion of the moves today.

Lip
Old 01-23-2012, 07:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Doug has to get his friends out of there, but he'll do whatever Jerry says when it comes to the draft and taking the safe pick. Cost them every time.

Lip
I also suppose I can start doing my research on college pitchers for the 13th pick this June.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:16 PM
WSI Personality

Sox also signed OF Delwyn Young and LHP Eric Slults to minor league deals today. Both have some major league experience.

2012 Attendance Record: 6-4
2011 Attendance Record: 3-3
2010 Attendance Record: 4-3
Old 01-25-2012, 01:17 PM
WSI High Priest

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick
Former #Marlins & #Nationals starter Scott Olsen has signed minor league deal w/ #WhiteSox. Deal includes big league option for 2013
56 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick
Olsen didn't pitch last year. He had shoulder problems and #Pirates released him in May. He's 37-49, 4.85 in the big leagues.
39 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

He's a local boy. From Crystal Lake.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick
Former #Marlins & #Nationals starter Scott Olsen has signed minor league deal w/ #WhiteSox. Deal includes big league option for 2013
56 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick
Olsen didn't pitch last year. He had shoulder problems and #Pirates released him in May. He's 37-49, 4.85 in the big leagues.
39 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

He's a local boy. From Crystal Lake.
Every team needs at least one jerk.