White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Since a personal story was injected into this conversation, I'll enter mine.

When I was in high school I had a 'letter to the editor' published on behalf of Wilbur Wood in Baseball Digest (I was shocked to find BD can now be accessed on line and found that letter!).

For some reason I took that edition with me to a Sox game in September 1971. I always got to the park hours earlier (in those days I think they opened the gates three or four hours before first pitch so you could watch BP). I was one of the few people in the stands when I saw Harry come into the park. I went up to him, introduced myself and showed him the book / letter. Harry (who was broadcasting from the center field bleachers that afternoon) immediately said for me to join him on the pregame show.

I was shocked but we did it and I got some free tickets to a future game the next season.

Right there I became a big fan of his. We stayed in touch over the years and he provided some written advice to me when I was deciding on the fact that I wanted to get into the broadcasting business.

Harry was never a saint, he had his issues and could be frankly very unkind to those he disliked (i.e. J.C. Martin) but there was no question he was a top announcer, helped keep the Sox relevent when they were garbage and knew the game.

As Noneck has said, history shows the first decade of their ownership had JR and company making a lot of bad decisions and alienating a lot of Sox fans. Harry's comment might have been a tad strong but in my opinion, it was accurate. And JR didn't make himself look good by his personal attack on Harry and Jimmy on a night when that's the last thing he should have had on his mind.

Lip

When did JR do this? It certainly wasn't in the locker room with Hawk.

Here is the interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...WhVLx94#t=239s
Old 01-15-2012, 01:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
When did JR do this? It certainly wasn't in the locker room with Hawk.
It happened at the very end of an interview. Not sure if it was Hawk.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Sadly, Harry was a shadow (some would say caricature) of his south side anti-establishment self with the Cubs. I really wish Jerry and Eddie would have given Harry and Jimmy a chance, instead of wanting to ditch them as soon as the sale was completed. Harry and Jimmy calling Sox games in 1983 on free TV would have been great, and the Cubs may have not gotten that super-station based foothold on us. The Cubs were a bad team in the late 70s and first few years of the 80s. And remember in Lee Elia's famous rant in 83, they were drawing a couple of thousand "bums" for most games.

Russ99: I agree with everything you said above and I, too, would have loved to have seen Harry and Jimmy stay with the Sox longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
What book are you reading about the 59 Sox? One of the oldest items I own is a book called the Go-Go White Sox written by the late Tribune writer Dave Condon. It came out about a month after the 59 World Series and my parents bought the book for me for Christmas of 59.

LittleNell: The book I’m reading is called Chicago White Sox 1959 and Beyond, by Dan Helpingstine. It’s not just about the 1959 team (sorry if my post misrepresented it as such). Rather, it is a compilation of White Sox highlights and stories, including the 1959 team. Dan does a terrific job telling White Sox stories and there are some wonderful pictures in the book as well. Since I was not alive in 1959, I am interested in reading more about that Sox team. The only player I met from that team is Billy Pierce (I absolutely love Billy and an autographed picture of his is one of my White Sox treasures). Thanks for the heads up on the Go-Go White Sox book by Dave Condon. I wonder if I can still find it in circulation in any of the Chicago Public Library branches? I’ll have to do a search on their website along for any other books on the 1959 Sox team.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:53 PM
WSI Guru

Oh yes he did. I have the complete tape from that night as I recorded the entire locker room celebration from my offices in Louisiana. Hawk was momentarily stunned and silenced not knowing what to say or how to react.

The comment took place in the locker room on national TV (since the SportsVision feed that night was picked up by Superstation WGN). It literally came out of nowhere.

Bob Logan, Tribune reporter, who was in the locker room also recounted the situation in his book, "Miracle on 35th Street".

"Reinsdorf so soft spoken that nobody would guess he was born in Brooklyn, kept his feelings bottled up until the Sox clinched the Western Division title on September 17. Then he cut loose with both barrels denouncing Caray and Piersall as 'scum.' It wasn't a sudden thought." - Pg. 143.

Both the Tribune and Sun-Times also reported the remark.

Dan Helpingstein in his books on the White Sox also reported the exact quote. Without rewatching the tape, I have to go from memory but as I recall it went along these lines.

'Harry and Jimmy wherever you are I hope you realize what scum you are...'

Lip
Old 01-15-2012, 01:55 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Oh yes he did. I have the complete tape from that night as I recorded the entire locker room celebration from my offices in Louisiana. Hawk was momentarily stunned and silenced not knowing what to say or how to react.
Fuzzy Memories has it uploaded. I'll look for it later.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by October26 View Post
Russ99: I agree with everything you said above and I, too, would have loved to have seen Harry and Jimmy stay with the Sox longer.

LittleNell: The book Iím reading is called Chicago White Sox 1959 and Beyond, by Dan Helpingstine. Itís not just about the 1959 team (sorry if my post misrepresented it as such). Rather, it is a compilation of White Sox highlights and stories, including the 1959 team. Dan does a terrific job telling White Sox stories and there are some wonderful pictures in the book as well. Since I was not alive in 1959, I am interested in reading more about that Sox team. The only player I met from that team is Billy Pierce (I absolutely love Billy and an autographed picture of his is one of my White Sox treasures). Thanks for the heads up on the Go-Go White Sox book by Dave Condon. I wonder if I can still find it in circulation in any of the Chicago Public Library branches? Iíll have to do a search on their website along for any other books on the 1959 Sox team.
This is the book. Amazon has it for $45.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:59 PM
WSI Guru

Have just rewatched the tape (I knew where it was in my library).

Here is the quote from JR to Hawk from the raised stage in the locker room (still amazed by Hawk's sweater!):

"Harry and Jimmy wherever you are, eat your hearts out, I hope you realize what scum you are."

Lip
Old 01-15-2012, 01:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Great - thanks!
Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Fuzzy Memories has it uploaded. I'll look for it later.
http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/#videoclip-1202

It appears that this was taped off of WLS-TV which also used SportsVision's feed.

I have no doubt that it happened - I just want to see it for myself. Lip you should upload your copy to You Tube.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Have just rewatched the tape (I knew where it was in my library).

Here is the quote from JR to Hawk from the raised stage in the locker room (still amazed by Hawk's sweater!):

"Harry and Jimmy wherever you are, eat your hearts out, I hope you realize what scum you are."

Lip
And then the Sox went on to lose in the first round of the playoffs. Real classy JR!
Old 01-15-2012, 02:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/#videoclip-1202

It appears that this was taped off of WLS-TV which also used SportsVision's feed.

I have no doubt that it happened - I just want to see it for myself. Lip you should upload your copy to You Tube.
I can affirm, I was sort of stunned that JR said it as it should have stayed in his thoughts instead of running his mouth off on what was a great night.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I can affirm, I was sort of stunned that JR said it as it should have stayed in his thoughts instead of running his mouth off on what was a great night.
I have found that many people, both the famous and the anonymous can be complex and contradictory. Reinsdorf can be loyal and caring, but he does have a vindictive streak too. This is just a personal observation of mine, and not intended to be an overall indictment on the man. He came from humble roots and accomplished a lot in his life. He and Einhorn did little to endear themselves to me, and many other Sox fans for a very long time.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 AM
WSI Personality

Default Many Years Ago

Jerry Reinsdorf was wrong when he called Harry Caray scum. But have people forgotten the fact that Caray and Piersal dumped all over Reinsdorf, Einhorn and Tony Larussa for almost three years before Reinsdorf made that remark. I also was a big fan of Caray when he was with the White Sox. There was nobody in Chicago that was ever like him. He did a tremendous job of creating interest in the White Sox in the 1970's.When he left to join the bad guys he definitely changed his act. Even former sportswriter Bill Gleason pointed out the fact that Caray became another houseman for the Cubs. Caray didn't really have any choice but become a houseman for the Cubs. If he would of been as critical of the Cubs players as he was White Sox, he would of been gone after the first year. I found it ironic that Carays grandson Chip Caray did'n't have his contact renewed by the Cubs because of his criticism of the Cubs team in 2004. Last but not least, I've met both Reinsdorf and Harry Caray and I could see why they didn't get along. There character as human beings were much different. Caray was a heavy drinker, Reinsdorf doesn't drink. Reinsdorf has always been a bigtime devoted family man, Caray wasn't.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 PM
WSI Prelate

the original OnTV/Sportsvision decoding box could be circumvented by taking a drill and drilling right through a single DIP component on the pc board inside, later when they got more sophisticated, real engineering undecoders were a common senior project in the EE dept at UIC
Old 01-16-2012, 01:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

wow didn't know Dave Condon did a book on the white sox, he was my favorite columnist for years in the wake of the news