White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 02:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Default White Sox Sign Venezuelan RHP Luis Martinez

BenBadler Ben Badler
White Sox make their biggest international signing in recent years, sign Venezuelan RHP Luis Martinez.
11 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Huzzah! A significant international prospect signing that isn't from Cuba! More please.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...luis-martinez/

Last edited by DirtySox; 01-11-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Nice! So Marco Paddy might not be handcuffed after all?

This is a really good sign that the franchise is heading in the right direction.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:52 PM
WSI High Priest

I like it.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

I read the profile. This guy is only 17? Man, won't see him for awhile, if he even pans out at all. But correct me if I'm wrong, having a fast ball in the 90s at 17 (when the year before it was in the 87-89 range) is impressive, no?

I'm cautiously hopeful, I guess? Good to see that the Sox are actually, you know, trying to rebuild the system.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
I read the profile. This guy is only 17? Man, won't see him for awhile, if he even pans out at all. But correct me if I'm wrong, having a fast ball in the 90s at 17 (when the year before it was in the 87-89 range) is impressive, no?

I'm cautiously hopeful, I guess? Good to see that the Sox are actually, you know, trying to rebuild the system.
Nothing wrong with young prospects. In fact they are quite desirable. They are allowed more development time within the organization, where as college level players are more so closer to finished products. The system desperately needs depth. Decent prospects at varying levels is the goal.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

I was hoping for something more immediate, I guess.

But yeah, as you said, organizational depth is a major need, and it looks like it's being addressed. And then there's the draft. When is that supposed to happen? Last I remember, the White Sox are picking 13th in the first round? Any other picks, or a site that can tell me the draft order?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
I was hoping for something more immediate, I guess.

But yeah, as you said, organizational depth is a major need, and it looks like it's being addressed. And then there's the draft. When is that supposed to happen? Last I remember, the White Sox are picking 13th in the first round? Any other picks, or a site that can tell me the draft order?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.
The majority of the international signings are younger players. The ones that are close to major league ready are much more rare. Players like Leonys Martin, Cespdes, Chapman, and Darvish. Those are hot commodities and generally are much more expensive.

Yep, Sox picking at 13. They also have a supplemental pick from offering MB arbitration and him declining it. Since there are still some free agents that will garner compensation, that pick will likely fall a bit. Believe it's sitting at 47th at the moment.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Even if we don't see him for a while, I'm glad we're making these moves to stock the cupboard for later.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:54 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Nothing wrong with young prospects. In fact they are quite desirable. They are allowed more development time within the organization, where as college level players are more so closer to finished products. The system desperately needs depth. Decent prospects at varying levels is the goal.
Absolutely, and the Sox's presence in Latin America, outside of Cuba, has been absymal recently. One of the key reasons our farm system is in such disarray. Many of the foreign born, Latin American stars in baseball today originally signed as free agents in their teens and developed.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Absolutely, and the Sox's presence in Latin America, outside of Cuba, has been absymal recently. One of the key reasons our farm system is in such disarray. Many of the foreign born, Latin American stars in baseball today originally signed as free agents in their teens and developed.

Is this lack of presence in Latin America a direct result of the Wilder scandal?
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
Is this lack of presence in Latin America a direct result of the Wilder scandal?
That's not helped anything, but the Sox have not seemed to have a strong Latin American presence for a while. For one, they don't spend much money on prospects and two, a lot of teams seem to have their own private academies for young baseball players that act as scouting organizations throughout baseball-crazy countries like the Domincan and Venezuela; I don't know of the Sox having one themselves.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
That's not helped anything, but the Sox have not seemed to have a strong Latin American presence for a while. For one, they don't spend much money on prospects and two, a lot of teams seem to have their own private academies for young baseball players that act as scouting organizations throughout baseball-crazy countries like the Domincan and Venezuela; I don't know of the Sox having one themselves.
When I was in the DR on business for a week about three years ago, I went to a DR Winter League game. I met scouts from three different teams, but no Sox scouts. When browsing shops at the airport, I saw paraphernalia for just about every MLB... except the Sox. I even saw KC and Pittsburgh stuff. For whatever reason, the Sox just don't have a presence there at all.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 02-21-2012, 08:30 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
When I was in the DR on business for a week about three years ago, I went to a DR Winter League game. I met scouts from three different teams, but no Sox scouts. When browsing shops at the airport, I saw paraphernalia for just about every MLB... except the Sox. I even saw KC and Pittsburgh stuff. For whatever reason, the Sox just don't have a presence there at all.
The Sox are relatively well known in Venezuela, Cuba, and Mexico, I believe, but I struggle to think of one player of Dominican descent that the Sox signed, developed, and brought up. Literally can't think of one. Bad since the DR is one baseball's best talent pipelines.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 AM
WSI Personality

Glad to see us getting a prospect from abroad. With a minor league system that is bare, it will be very helpful to dip into Latin America and Japan to augment the draft.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
To a large extent yes. There are still trust issues to overcome. Supposedly many players want nothing to do with the White Sox because of the stigma and what happened with Wilder. Reestablishing credibility is an ongoing process. The situation supposedly has improved, but who knows how much.