White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Uverse Multiview "previews": not good

Living out of market, I don't normally see the Comcast coverage of Sox games. With the free look-in on MLB Extra Innings, I've seen a few this week.

What does everyone think of the Uverse Multiview segments? I hate them! You take away my nice full-screen HD picture to give me one main screen and three camera takes that range from unfocused to zipping around to what the director has chosen to air.

Hell-O! That's why there are directors! These "choose-your-own" options might sound good in principle, but in practice they stink! I don't want to be sitting in the production truck. I want to sit back and enjoy a well-produced game broadcast directed and switched by professionals.

Last edited by KenBerryGrab; 07-19-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 AM
WSI High Priest

I agree. Even worse, they don't ever seem to use when it might actually be interesting - say, when a runner or two are on base. When it might be interesting to watch an attempted steal in one panel and the batter and pitcher in other panels.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:49 AM
WSI Personality

Hahaha..so funny! I say something to my girlfriend about it every game...she calls it "my favorite part of the game"..sarcastically. It's so dumb, and it only uses like 40% of the screen.

2012 Attendance Record: 6-4
2011 Attendance Record: 3-3
2010 Attendance Record: 4-3
Old 07-19-2011, 11:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

I find it kind of ironic that they do it on games on Comcast.

And if you think it's bad on a nice big TV, try it on my 27" tube set sometime.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:20 PM
WSI Regular

Default multiview

The segment is supposed to promote the 5 channels that you can watch, but they just waste my screen and even worse there are no multiview channels for Sox games, only Cubs!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:52 PM
WSI Personality

Uverse offers a host of multiview channels (news, sports, kids, etc.), and it gives you the option to customize one yourself. Unlike the multiview they show in the Sox games, those aren't different views of the same show, it's really just a glorified picture-in-picture over several channels.

As a Uverse subscriber, I can count on one hand the number of minutes I've ever spent on these channels. Even on a large HDTV, everything's too small to see what's going on.

I do wish they'd stop it in the Sox games, regardless. Most in-game advertising is benign and unobtrusive enough that it doesn't detract from the game; that's not the case in this situation.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

It is terrible. It might not be as bad if they used the entire left side of the screen for the big picture, and not waste all of that space.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post
It is terrible. It might not be as bad if they used the entire left side of the screen for the big picture, and not waste all of that space.
Yeah, exactly. I paid a lot of money for my big-screen HDTV, and then they essentially force me to watch a few 15" monitors for a while, with a whole bunch of unused space between them. It stinks.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 09-18-2012, 04:23 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Yeah, exactly. I paid a lot of money for my big-screen HDTV, and then they essentially force me to watch a few 15" monitors for a while, with a whole bunch of unused space between them. It stinks.
I can see the appeal of the U-Verse Multiview they have for Cubs home games (12 or so different cable channels locally, each dedicated to a different camera or particular angle of interest). But what they have during Sox games just to advertise U-Verse is nothing but annoying.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Anytime I've tried to use it, it doesn't seem to work.

Either that, or it just really sucks
Old 09-19-2012, 01:38 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspivack View Post
i can see the appeal of the u-verse multiview they have for cubs home games (12 or so different cable channels locally, each dedicated to a different camera or particular angle of interest). But what they have during sox games just to advertise u-verse is nothing but annoying.
+1
Old 09-19-2012, 01:46 AM
WSI Regular

Default muliti view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
Uverse offers a host of multiview channels (news, sports, kids, etc.), and it gives you the option to customize one yourself. Unlike the multiview they show in the Sox games, those aren't different views of the same show, it's really just a glorified picture-in-picture over several channels.

As a Uverse subscriber, I can count on one hand the number of minutes I've ever spent on these channels. Even on a large HDTV, everything's too small to see what's going on.

I do wish they'd stop it in the Sox games, regardless. Most in-game advertising is benign and unobtrusive enough that it doesn't detract from the game; that's not the case in this situation.
I agree, but if you ever watch a Cubs game on U-verse they give you a channel for every camera at the game as part of the "Multiview" so you ca watch the dugout all game, or the pitcher, or outfield....
I have not yet seen this for the Sox broadcast, yet they advertise it every game.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Not a fan.

It always seems that the "UVerse" view comes up at a crucial point of the game.Just my 2 cents worth: I don't need 4 different views.The one from the CF camera is fine by me.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Yes, the AT&T U-verse multi-whatever is annoying. But not half as annoying as the Comcast commercials with Brian Urlacher which run every half inning. Why does that woman faint at the sight of Brian Urlacher?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Why does that woman faint at the sight of Brian Urlacher?
Just an FYI:

Actually,to be specific,she faints about the fact that,after 1 year,DirecTV increases their bill by 100 %.If you listen closely,you can hear her faintly say, "We can't aford that".