White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
The Tank is 2-2 so far tonight with a double.

He also has a walk and a run scored.
3-3. Hitting .330.

To borrow a line from Kenny Williams...

Quite frankly, this starting to piss me off.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
3-3. Hitting .330.

To borrow a line from Kenny Williams...

Quite frankly, this starting to piss me off.
Meh. Give it a week for the service time issue. I'll rejoin the complaining after then.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Meh. Give it a week for the service time issue. I'll rejoin the complaining after then.
They'll wait to the break just to make it look good.

The service time thing is bull**** in this case. This team is "all in", and given the state of the division and the state of the Sox offense, they need to get somebody to help now.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
They'll wait to the break just to make it look good.

The service time thing is bull**** in this case. This team is "all in", and given the state of the division and the state of the Sox offense, they need to get somebody to help now.
Meh. I'm okay with delaying his free agency, especially since his agent is Boras. I'll take that extra year.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Meh. I'm okay with delaying his free agency, especially since his agent is Boras. I'll take that extra year.
I don't think this is a service time issue at all...I think it's an Ozzie issue. Even if he came up now he would not accrue enough service time to void his 2012 contract for $2.5M(and Sox would have to exercise a $3.5M option). And the Sox would still have him under team control through 2014.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
I don't think this is a service time issue at all...I think it's an Ozzie issue. Even if he came up now he would not accrue enough service time to void his 2012 contract for $2.5M(and Sox would have to exercise a $3.5M option). And the Sox would still have him under team control through 2014.

The early July cutoff date mentioned is such that Viciedo doesn’t finish this season with more than 1 year of service time. If his call-up is delayed it allows the Sox to avoid that 1 year of service before he becomes a full-time 25-man player. This will postpone his free agency by one year. 6 full years of service time is required to be eligible for free agency. One year of service equates to 172 days. Dayan's stay in the bigs last year earned him 83 days. Thus, 89 days is the maximum the organization can allow Viciedo to earn in 2011. 89 days is just under three months, which why the early July date is being bandied about.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
That could very well be the worst defensive outfield seen in MLB in the last quarter century.
The Quentin, Griffey, and Dye trio we started for a handful of games in 08 would certainly be worse
Old 06-28-2011, 04:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
To my knowledge, Dayan Viciedo has not accumulated any major league service time. If the Sox call up Viciedo at the All-Star break, then the Sox should control his rights the rest of this year and six more years after that. Is that correct?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The early July cutoff date mentioned is such that Viciedo doesn’t finish this season with more than 1 year of service time. If his call-up is delayed it allows the Sox to avoid that 1 year of service before he becomes a full-time 25-man player. This will postpone his free agency by one year. 6 full years of service time is required to be eligible for free agency. One year of service equates to 172 days. Dayan's stay in the bigs last year earned him 83 days. Thus, 89 days is the maximum the organization can allow Viciedo to earn in 2011. 89 days is just under three months, which why the early July date is being bandied about.
Yes, but he signed a major league deal, and has put in 2.5 years on that contract. I think he becomes a FA 2 years after his initial 4 year contract ends regardless.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm OK with the service time issue- an extra year of Viciedo is worth waiting an extra week or two- this is a deeply flawed team- so while this move will help- it doesn't address other major issues, like Dunn, Rios and Beckham and our thin bullpen from the right handed side after Santos and Crain.

KW's comments about "my manager isn't ready"- clearly put this on Ozzie- hopefully he "gets it" soon.
MLB Parks Visited: 24
MiLB Parks Visited: 11
Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
Yes, but he signed a major league deal, and has put in 2.5 years on that contract. I think he becomes a FA 2 years after his initial 4 year contract ends regardless.
Hahn has directly stated that both Dayan and Alexei are under club control for their first 6 years of MLB service time.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
To my knowledge, Dayan Viciedo has not accumulated any major league service time. If the Sox call up Viciedo at the All-Star break, then the Sox should control his rights the rest of this year and six more years after that. Is that correct?
Dayan Viciedo:
ML Service: 0.083

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...white-sox.html
Old 06-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

I too am OK with Viciedo getting more time in Charlotte, due to the service time issue and the agent.

Given that I don't get the sense that this team is good/consistent enough to make the playoffs, I also don't see the rush. Why make [another] rash decision when the goal of the playoffs seems unlikely?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
I too am OK with Viciedo getting more time in Charlotte, due to the service time issue and the agent.

Given that I don't get the sense that this team is good/consistent enough to make the playoffs, I also don't see the rush. Why make [another] rash decision when the goal of the playoffs seems unlikely?
Unlikely? Not so much. You're allowed your opinion, but the word "unlikely" is a bit farfetched when it comes to the SOX chances of making the playoffs.

If they were in the AL East, sure...it'd be unlikely. But the Tigers and Indians are no better than the SOX.

Viciedo will be playing almost everyday within the next couple weeks.

2012 Attendance Record: 6-4
2011 Attendance Record: 3-3
2010 Attendance Record: 4-3
Old 06-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcMahon817 View Post
Unlikely? Not so much. You're allowed your opinion, but the word "unlikely" is a bit farfetched when it comes to the SOX chances of making the playoffs.

If they were in the AL East, sure...it'd be unlikely. But the Tigers and Indians are no better than the SOX.
Actually, I don't recall either team getting no-hit by a pitcher that sucked at the time. I don't recall the tiggs geting embarrassed and humiliated by a 36 year old soft-tosser that's hanging onto a MLB roster spot by a thread. I don't recall either team outright WASTING solid outing after solid outing by their SPs. I don't see either team "playing down" to inferior competition as much as our SOX. I don't see them letting poorly prepared opponents [such as one that just had their manager QUIT on them] beat them. I don't see Cleveland or Detroit with sub-.500 home records.

But most of all, I don't see either team as cowardly surrender monkeys to the twins, or for that matter, the rest of the ALC, as the SOX are. This, coupled with the sub-.500 home record are the two prime reasons why I have my doubts about this year's chances for our SOX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcMahon817 View Post
Viciedo will be playing almost everyday within the next couple weeks.
Great. We can see him perform for a 3rd place team, unless KW can find another hunk of **** in AZ to trade for.