White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Viciedo has played in 10 straight days, so maybe he just needed a day off.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
I see that Viciedo did not play on Tuesday night for the Knights. Dayan on his way to MN?
Dayan is in Chicago to finalize his citizenship.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Dayan is in Chicago to finalize his citizenship.
Yeah, that was in the article that was posted originally.

Dayan won't be up here until there's a significant injury to either TCQ, PK, Dunn, or Pierre. Or until Ozzie finally realizes that Juan Pierre sucks and is hurting the team.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 PM
WSI Guru

Leadoff hitter is not a position. Choose your best nine guys, then decide what order they are going to hit in.

Viciedo is likely among our best nine guys. If so, it's a shame he's rotting at Charlotte when there is a winnable Central division there for the taking.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Leadoff hitter is not a position. Choose your best nine guys, then decide what order they are going to hit in.
Preaching to the choir.

This article is spot on.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:05 PM
WSI High Priest

It's time to bring up Viciedo. Time for Rios and/or Pierre to sit. The solution to me is ...

LF Viciedo
CF LilliHammer
RF TCQ

Lead off with LilliHammer, TCM or whomever (does it really matter at this point seeing as how we have a lead-off man who rarely gets on base and when he does he's a liability on the bases, could it be worse?)

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
It's time to bring up Viciedo. Time for Rios and/or Pierre to sit. The solution to me is ...

LF Viciedo
CF LilliHammer
RF TCQ

Lead off with LilliHammer, TCM or whomever (does it really matter at this point seeing as how we have a lead-off man who rarely gets on base and when he does he's a liability on the bases, could it be worse?)
That could very well be the worst defensive outfield seen in MLB in the last quarter century.

Anything hit out of the infield will be an adventure, but it might force Ken Harrelson to lose the "can of corn" phrase, so it does have a possible upside.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
That could very well be the worst defensive outfield seen in MLB in the last quarter century.

Anything hit out of the infield will be an adventure, but it might force Ken Harrelson to lose the "can of corn" phrase, so it does have a possible upside.
We have the worst defensive outfield in MLB as it stands. On top of it, two of the three can't hit.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:59 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
We have the worst defensive outfield in MLB as it stands. On top of it, two of the three can't hit.
Baseball is not an offensive sport.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Are you saying that Rios is substantially better in CF over LilliHammer?

After watching Rios the last couple years I've come to the conclusion that his defense is vastly overrated.

And Pierre vs. Viciedo in LF? Well I've not seen Viciedo play LF but he has been playing RF in AAA. You'd NEVER play Pierre in RF, I doubt they'd do that even in AAA. But besides that Pierre is marginal in LF. I don't think there would be much of a difference between Pierre and Viciedo.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Are you saying that Rios is substantially better in CF over LilliHammer?

After watching Rios the last couple years I've come to the conclusion that his defense is vastly overrated.

And Pierre vs. Viciedo in LF? Well I've not seen Viciedo play LF but he has been playing RF in AAA. You'd NEVER play Pierre in RF, I doubt they'd do that even in AAA. But besides that Pierre is marginal in LF. I don't think there would be much of a difference between Pierre and Viciedo.
Yes, Rios is a true CFer.

Pierre is a career outfielder, and knows all aspects of the position, Dayan is an infielder that has played roughly 40 games in one of the smallest outfields in professional baseball, you're comparing grapes to watermelons.

But this whole concept does not surprise me at all, a good chunk of the posters here scream for replacing starters that aren't hitting, and then bitch and moan because of the lack of fundamentals, you can't have it both ways.

The Twins run all over Sox pitching and everyone bitches about AJ's poor defense, completely ignoring the fact that his defense is the exact same as it was when he was first signed, but where is the finger pointing at the pitchers that can't look back a runner to save their lives?

Carry on, nothing more to see here.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Yes, Rios is a true CFer.
Maybe since the Sox picked up Rios but when he was with Toronto he played RF most of the time, by far. In fact in his career games RF vs. CF:

720 RF
348 CF

After 7 years in MLB, where he was a corner outfielder, the Sox switched him to CF. I stand by my comment, Rios CF defense is vastly overrated. Rios is putting up offensive numbers this season worse than what lead to Brian Anderson losing his position with the White Sox.

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 06-16-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Maybe since the Sox picked up Rios but when he was with Toronto he played RF most of the time, by far. In fact in his career games RF vs. CF:

720 RF
348 CF

After 7 years in MLB, where he was a corner outfielder, the Sox switched him to CF. I stand by my comment, Rios CF defense is vastly overrated. Rios is putting up offensive numbers this season worse than what lead to Brian Anderson losing his position with the White Sox.

Baseball is not an offensive sport, and Brian is a better CFer than Alex is, but Alex is still a better alternative to a converted infielder.

Other than that I really don't see what point you are trying to make outside of offense, which has nothing to do with what I posted in this thread.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Baseball is not an offensive sport
The Sox are playing this sport in an offensive manner.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Dayan with three more hits, including a homer tonight.