White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2011, 01:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
KG's AL Central Draft Review is up. The White Sox portion is free.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=14186
I wonder what Khan has to say about this comment: "Walker is exactly the kind of player the White Sox used to avoid, but with Kenny Williams' edict to focus on upside, he's a great find."
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 06-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I wonder what Khan has to say about this comment: "Walker is exactly the kind of player the White Sox used to avoid, but with Kenny Williams' edict to focus on upside, he's a great find."
Well, since you asked, I think it would be a reasonable statement to make, IF the player in question does in fact have a great upside.

That said, one has to wonder exactly how much upside a player can have when he's striking out at a 21% clip vs. JUCO pitchers. [Most of whom will be working at a Hertz rent-a-car or a Burger King in a few weeks.] I'll give you the view from FutureSox:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/futu...pick.html#more

In general, I agree with the concept of seeking upside as being tantamount to being a growth investor. However, I don't know that the front office have done this with this or other picks. As I've stated previously, there are already plenty of other Kenny Williams doppelgangers in the SOX farm system. [READ: Raw, Toolsy, Athletic strikout kings, like Mitchell, Trace Thompson, KW JR, and others.]

Oddly enough, the players that pique my interest in the SOX farm system aren't the "Toolsy, athletic" types like Danks, Mitchell, Thompson, etc... For me, it's the other guys like Remenowsky or Kuhn or Marrero that interest me. Granted, it is unlikely that ANY of these players will make The Show.

But I find it worth watching that the guy who "knows how to pitch" [Remenowsky] has shown better results than some of the more highly-touted prospects, for example. Or that Kuhn's OBP of .429 this year is higher than Beckham's OBP in Birmingham in 2009. Sure, Remenowsky isn't throwing 100 MPH, and Kuhn doesn't have big-time power. But on the other hand, these types of guys have been perfoming at the level at which they're assigned.

Last edited by khan; 06-09-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
Well, since you asked, I think it would be a reasonable statement to make, IF the player in question does in fact have a great upside.

That said, one has to wonder exactly how much upside a player can have when he's striking out at a 21% clip vs. JUCO pitchers. [Most of whom will be working at a Hertz rent-a-car or a Burger King in a few weeks.] I'll give you the view from FutureSox:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/futu...pick.html#more

In general, I agree with the concept of seeking upside as being tantamount to being a growth investor. However, I don't know that the front office have done this with this or other picks. As I've stated previously, there are already plenty of other Kenny Williams doppelgangers in the SOX farm system. [READ: Raw, Toolsy, Athletic strikout kings, like Mitchell, Trace Thompson, KW JR, and others.]

Oddly enough, the players that pique my interest in the SOX farm system aren't the "Toolsy, athletic" types like Danks, Mitchell, Thompson, etc... For me, it's the other guys like Remenowsky or Kuhn or Marrero that interest me. Granted, it is unlikely that ANY of these players will make The Show.

But I find it worth watching that the guy who "knows how to pitch" [Remenowsky] has shown better results than some of the more highly-touted prospects, for example. Or that Kuhn's OBP of .429 this year is higher than Beckham's OBP in Birmingham in 2009. Sure, Remenowsky isn't throwing 100 MPH, and Kuhn doesn't have big-time power. But on the other hand, these types of guys have been perfoming at the level at which they're assigned.
Just ribbing you for the 'KW-clone' comments you made in the past and how that conflicts with "used to avoid" comment from the review. Personally, I'm lukewarm about the pick only because developing players is a weak spot for our organization and a 'high upside' pick only works if you have the structure in place to develop him. Maybe this is another signal of the FO taking a different approach (in the same vain as hiring Buddy Bell, for instance). We'll see. At any rate, Walker does not seem to profile as a prospect who will be rushed into MLB action.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Just ribbing you for the 'KW-clone' comments you made in the past and how that conflicts with "used to avoid" comment from the review. Personally, I'm lukewarm about the pick only because developing players is a weak spot for our organization and a 'high upside' pick only works if you have the structure in place to develop him. Maybe this is another signal of the FO taking a different approach (in the same vain as hiring Buddy Bell, for instance). We'll see. At any rate, Walker does not seem to profile as a prospect who will be rushed into MLB action.
I can agree with all of this. We'll see if the strategy pays off or not.

That said, even in an admittedly-weak system like the SOX's system, there are always players that are of interest for minor league geeks like myself.

For me, the more intriguing players haven't been the ones touted by the front office or in the articles.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Randar, you used to do some great minor league analysis on the board. I'm assuming our real prospects are in Birmingham or lower. Any outfielders that you see?
Job the last 4 or 5 years hasn't allowed me to get out and see them as much and haven't really had the time to keep up like I used to. C'est la vie.