White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Randar68 Randar68 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPrince34 View Post
Look up for the past 5 years where our farm system has ranked and its been in the bottom 5 every year.
Because we make a butt-load of trades. Those guys we traded may or may not have panned out but they landed us a lot of proven veterans over that period of time. I notice you ignore those players as if they never existed because it must be convenient to whatever point you think you're making.

And 3 posts, all complaining, is indeed a trend. You go from one scattered complaint to the next.

Did you just start paying attention the past 2 years? Tampa has been drafting the top 5 for the majority of their existence. Texas in the top 15 for most of the past 15 years. Toronto the same. So yes, the Red Sox seem to be the best example you have. The rest? apples and oranges.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 06-08-2011, 02:31 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Ozney still on the board.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Ozney still on the board.
He or at least his family was insulted he was drafted in the 22nd round and offered $50k last year. I'm sure other teams don't want to deal with Oney or Ozzie's BS this time.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 06-08-2011, 02:41 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
He or at least his family was insulted he was drafted in the 22nd round and offered $50k last year. I'm sure other teams don't want to deal with Oney or Ozzie's BS this time.
I remember quite well. Ozzie created a huge stink about it. I kinda feel bad for Ozney. From what I can tell he is one of the more reserved Guillens. At least from following him on Twitter he isn't a huge asshat like Oney. I don't think much of him as a prospect though.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 06-08-2011, 03:07 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
I remember quite well. Ozzie created a huge stink about it. I kinda feel bad for Ozney. From what I can tell he is one of the more reserved Guillens. At least from following him on Twitter he isn't a huge asshat like Oney. I don't think much of him as a prospect though.
It wasn't Ozzie who created a stink about it, it was Oney. Ozzie's only quote on it was "I am disappointed because my son is disappointed, but this is a business." Ozzie took the whole thing rather well in his quotes to the media. Oney was his usual douche bag self and Kenny over reacted by charging into the clubhouse to fight Ozzie.

On an unrelated note, I got a text message that in the 33rd round the Rangers drafted Johnathan Taylor who is paralyzed from the waist down. Did he suffer an injury that he might recover from?
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 06-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,880
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68 View Post
Because we make a butt-load of trades. Those guys we traded may or may not have panned out but they landed us a lot of proven veterans over that period of time.
That's part of the problem...we SHOULD have gotten sure things...but what we've gotten is anything but sure.
MacDougal was a joke
Peavy lives on the DL...exactly where he was when we got him.
Teahen blows
Pierre, well opinions differ I suppose
Swisher was mediocre (and we gave 2 contributors and another prospect for him) and the resultant trade worse.
And the Jackson trade was ridiculous
I wish we got our sure things.
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 06-08-2011, 03:37 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,910
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
On an unrelated note, I got a text message that in the 33rd round the Rangers drafted Johnathan Taylor who is paralyzed from the waist down. Did he suffer an injury that he might recover from?
Yes, he is in rehab. Don't know if he'll ever recover enough to actually play pro ball, but might be able to walk again?

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...each-Violence/

I guess he suffered the injury in a freak collision in the outfield, and the Rangers drafted the guy he collided with 4 rounds later.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 06-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Soxfest Soxfest is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 825
Default

Berstein on the Score said Sox promised to pick Ozney between rounds 10-15 and Guillen family is pissed. Noboby in MLB wanted Ozney this year and probably last year, what makes KW and OG think White Sox organization owes there kids a payday. KW Jr probably would not of been drafted either by anyone else, If this BS crap did not exist.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 06-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Risk Risk is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northwest Suburbs
Posts: 1,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfest View Post
Berstein on the Score said Sox promised to pick Ozney between rounds 10-15 and Guillen family is pissed. Noboby in MLB wanted Ozney this year and probably last year, what makes KW and OG think White Sox organization owes there kids a payday. KW Jr probably would not of been drafted either by anyone else, If this BS crap did not exist.
I thought that the knock on drafting KW Jr. was that picking him in the 6th round was a reach, not that he was not going to be drafted.

Risk
__________________
I had no intention of quitting anymore than pulling my eyelids off-Dave Mustaine, 2001

"Is minic a ghearr teanga duine a scornach"-(Celtic)
"it is often that a person's tongue cut his throat"
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 06-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Randar68 Randar68 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
That's part of the problem...we SHOULD have gotten sure things...but what we've gotten is anything but sure.
MacDougal was a joke
Peavy lives on the DL...exactly where he was when we got him.
Teahen blows
Pierre, well opinions differ I suppose
Swisher was mediocre (and we gave 2 contributors and another prospect for him) and the resultant trade worse.
And the Jackson trade was ridiculous
I wish we got our sure things.
I don't disagree they haven't panned out into "sure things", but you got some seriously proven veteran talent. The rest is just 20/20 hindsight. And Pierre was had for very little because of salary dump.

Of course you left off McCarthy for John Danks or Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter, because those weren't convenient to the point you were trying to support.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 06-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,880
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68 View Post

Of course you left off McCarthy for John Danks or Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter, because those weren't convenient to the point you were trying to support.
I left those trades off because they were prospect for prospect trades. Quentin and Danks were prospects.
I also left off Cunningham for Richar....prospect for prospect.

Randar, you used to do some great minor league analysis on the board. I'm assuming our real prospects are in Birmingham or lower. Any outfielders that you see?
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 06-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
That's part of the problem...we SHOULD have gotten sure things...but what we've gotten is anything but sure.
MacDougal was a joke
Peavy lives on the DL...exactly where he was when we got him.
Teahen blows
Pierre, well opinions differ I suppose
Swisher was mediocre (and we gave 2 contributors and another prospect for him) and the resultant trade worse.
And the Jackson trade was ridiculous
I wish we got our sure things.
There are no "sure things." Based on his career numbers for crap teams and HR unfriendly ballparks, I'd say Dunn looked like a "sure thing" to most Sox fans and it hasn't worked out too well (yet).
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 06-08-2011, 04:36 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risk View Post
I thought that the knock on drafting KW Jr. was that picking him in the 6th round was a reach, not that he was not going to be drafted.

Risk
Correct. He was a 10th-ish round talent.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Soxfest Soxfest is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 825
Default

I disagree the consensus on him was very late 20's rounds If at all. He did not even start much his last year in college he was the 4th OF. No way he was 10th round talent Williams who hardly played his first two years at the University of Arizona and was declared ineligible his last season at Wichita State.

Last edited by Soxfest; 06-08-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 06-09-2011, 12:52 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

KG's AL Central Draft Review is up. The White Sox portion is free.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=14186
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.