White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 04-03-2011, 07:59 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Being able to turn out an overall balanced ballplayer would be nice, the only way they do that know is if the player was already that in HS or college.
So, who is an example of this from another team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
They really need to get over the philosophy of rushing players to the MLB club, with all the failures they have had because of it you would think they would have learned this lesson, but they haven't.
I don't buy the "rushed" argument, every player is unique. Some players get it faster than others, I haven't seen any evidence that the White Sox have "rushed" any more players than any other organization.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
  #32  
Old 04-03-2011, 08:10 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
The Sox don't spend on the draft, fail to sign early round picks, and don't spend internationally.
This statement is untrue. The Sox have spent internationally, they're just behind over the past couple of years because of the scandal. As for the draft, who are these "failed" early round signings? They've been pretty much getting all of their top 5 into the fold over the past ten years.
  #33  
Old 04-03-2011, 08:22 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
This statement is untrue. The Sox have spent internationally, they're just behind over the past couple of years because of the scandal. As for the draft, who are these "failed" early round signings? They've been pretty much getting all of their top 5 into the fold over the past ten years.
Just recently they haven't signed Bryan Morgado, Matt Grimes, and Josef Terry. Perhaps they signed most of their earlier picks in years past, but most reports had the aforementioned players not seeking much more than slot. With how terrible the farm is and the complete lack of depth, quality prospects like these need to be signed. You realize how little they spend right? Near bottom of the barrel every year. Teams spend in 1 year on the draft what they spend in 2 combined.
  #34  
Old 04-04-2011, 10:01 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Just recently they haven't signed Bryan Morgado, Matt Grimes, and Josef Terry.
Morgado got greedy because he pitched well in the Cape Cod League (was awful last year for the Phills) and Terry was an 8th rounder. Of all those guys Grimes was the only one worth a squirt IMO. High school pitchers in the earlier rounds (not 1st or 2nd) can be tough to sign due to their college option, thus I won't get too upset about Grimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
You realize how little they spend right? Near bottom of the barrel every year
True (actually we're dead last), but spending does not equal success. Over the past three years, the highest spending teams are the:

Pirates: $30.6M
Red Sox: $28.3M
Nationals: $28.2M
Orioles: $24.8M
Royals: $24.5M
Indians: $21.3M
Rays: $21.1M

I'd rather not have much in common with most of those teams.

The Bottom?

White Sox: $12.7M
Braves: $13.4M
Phillies: $13.9M
Marlins: $13.9M
Mets: $14.3M
Cubs: $14.3M
Twins (gasp!): $15.5M

I think you see where I'm coming from.

I've been watching this for many, many years. Farm systems ebb and flow. The White Sox will rise, everyone will congratulate themselves, then Kenny will make a big trade and everyone will sharpen their pitchforks once more. Personally, as much as I love minor league baseball and watching players develop, I only care about one team and that's the White Sox.
  #35  
Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
We still completely blew sandwich picks and spent very little on all 3 drafts.
Spending does not equal success, and what sandwich picks did we "blow"? If I'm not mistaken we've only had 2 in the past 3 drafts. No one in their right mind could consider Phegley a "blown" pick, the kid has had almost no chance to prove himself. Our other one, Royse, had a good partial season in Great Falls and by most reports has good "stuff".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
In terms of player development, a ton needs to be fixed.
For instance?
  #36  
Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 AM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

larry over at SouthSideSox has part one of his minor league preview up. He does very nice work. The bulk of the prospects worth watching are at Kanny and Winston-Salem. It's a good read.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2011/4/5...-ball#comments
  #37  
Old 04-05-2011, 01:04 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Mike Blanke is on twitter if anyone would like to follow him:

http://twitter.com/#!/MikeBlanke32
  #38  
Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Kanny's official roster is now posted:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...=true&sid=t487

Probably the most interesting minor league team that the Sox will field this year.

I'll be paying attention to Petricka, Reed, Buch, Heidenreich, Blanke, and Trayce Thompson. There are a few others that might surprise (Silverio, Wilson, Arroyo) but I'm not counting on it.
  #39  
Old 04-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,640
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
So, who is an example of this from another team?
I need to point out to you what a fundamentally sound ball player is?



Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I don't buy the "rushed" argument, every player is unique. Some players get it faster than others, I haven't seen any evidence that the White Sox have "rushed" any more players than any other organization.
Joe Borchard, Brian Anderson, Jeremy Reed, Danny Wright, Jon Rauch, Mark Johnson, etc. were all promising, highly regarding amateur players, all of them spent less than three seasons in the minors because they could fill a hole on the big league roster, all of them failed to reach their potential. Contrast this to a less highly regarded prospect that was given the time to develop his skills at the pro level in the same system, he won minor league MVP honors twice, and should have been the MVP of the 2005 WS, but he was only allowed that time because he didn't fill a hole on the big league roster.

If you can't see this trend you are walking around with blinders on.
__________________
  #40  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 PM
mzh mzh is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,990
Default

Dave:

There is no way to prove this, but my opinion is that good Major League players are going to be good Major League Players. Evan Longoria spent very little time in the minors. Beckham didn't spend a full season down there. I'm not saying that every quality major league player would have been the player they are if they had gone straight to the bigs, but I fail to see proof that Borchard, Wright, Anderson et al. would have lived up to the hype had they spent more time in the minors. Borchard couldn't hit a Major League curveball. He wasn't going to learn how to do that in AA. Dan Wright had electric stuff, but I see no reason why he wouldn't have blown his arm out regardless of where he was.

Sometimes there is no pattern of correlation and causation. That's just my opinion, and until we can see into alternate pasts this debate will remain completely subjective. Just my
__________________
Obligatory Attendance Record:
3-3
  #41  
Old 04-06-2011, 11:37 AM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

White Sox High Minors Preview:

http://www.southsidesox.com/2011/4/6...wo-high-minors

Birmingham looks absolutely awful prospect-wise. I don't agree with Eduardo in AAA either. Why rush a player who is obviously blocked?
  #42  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:31 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla
Viciedo reinstated from the DL. Going to Charlotte.
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply
  #43  
Old 04-06-2011, 03:14 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Intimidators preview piece:

http://sportsclt.com/2011/04/05/youn...r-good-season/

Kind of disappointed that Reed isn't in the rotation. The Sox desperately need to churn out some starters. He could move pretty fast through the system as a bullpen guy though.
  #44  
Old 04-06-2011, 08:01 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
I need to point out to you what a fundamentally sound ball player is?
Actually that's not what I was referring to. This is the quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Being able to turn out an overall balanced ballplayer would be nice, the only way they do that know is if the player was already that in HS or college.
You say that the White Sox only turn out fundamentally sound or balanced ballplayers only if they know that the player was already fundamentally sound or balanced. My question is do you have any examples of other organizations creating a sound, balanced player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Joe Borchard, Brian Anderson, Jeremy Reed, Danny Wright, Jon Rauch, Mark Johnson, etc. were all promising, highly regarding amateur players, all of them spent less than three seasons in the minors because they could fill a hole on the big league roster, all of them failed to reach their potential.
But yet Buehrle did and he pitched less innings in the minors than Wright or Rauch. Frank Thomas spent a grand total of a year and three quarters in the minors, was he "rushed"? Beckham has a grand total of 259 minor league at bats, is he not going to succeed in the majors because of this? How about Daniel Hudson? The Diamondbacks didn't seem to think that trading a proven starting pitcher was a bad deal for a kid who only pitched in the minors for 2 years. Is Hudson going to fail because he was "rushed"?

I believe there is too much out there for either side of the argument to definitively say that there is a proper way to get youngsters in the majors. I believe it is case-by-case, you and others think there is a blueprint. I can't say I'm right, but no one will be able to convince me I'm wrong. It wouldn't be baseball if there wasn't much to debate.
  #45  
Old 04-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,640
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
You say that the White Sox only turn out fundamentally sound or balanced ballplayers only if they know that the player was already fundamentally sound or balanced. My question is do you have any examples of other organizations creating a sound, balanced player?

The best all around ballplayer on the White Sox roster is AJ, the Twins seem to be able to do it on a regular basis, but they have a completely different philosophy about developing players.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.