White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2011, 04:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Sox sign Dexter Carter

Yes, that Dexter Carter

Link

"See you on a dark night."
Old 03-26-2011, 04:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Saw this yesterday. Both Carter and Poreda's control went to **** after being traded to the Padres. Worth a shot to see if they can get him back to form, but dude is 24 already. I wouldn't be surprised if he's transitioned to a relief role.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:19 PM
WSI Personality

I remember really liking him prior to the Peavy trade, but he had an atrocious year last year. Looks like we sold high.

No problem taking a flyer on him, but he's going to need to take a big step forward this year to still be considered any kind of prospect. I don't think he's even cracked AA yet, has he?
Old 03-26-2011, 04:23 PM
WSI Prelate

So far, it's looking like Gio was the one we should have held onto.

You could argue Hudson, but I'm not sold on him yet. He may pitch well in the NL, but he didn't show us that he could pitch in the AL when the pressure was on. Plus, we did actually get something back for him, whereas with Gio, we got Swish, who then got us Marquez. . .
Old 03-26-2011, 04:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargeant79 View Post
I remember really liking him prior to the Peavy trade, but he had an atrocious year last year. Looks like we sold high.

No problem taking a flyer on him, but he's going to need to take a big step forward this year to still be considered any kind of prospect. I don't think he's even cracked AA yet, has he?
Correct. He's pitched at High A, but was abysmal there.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post

You could argue Hudson, but I'm not sold on him yet. He may pitch well in the NL, but he didn't show us that he could pitch in the AL when the pressure was on. Plus, we did actually get something back for him, whereas with Gio, we got Swish, who then got us Marquez. . .
Yeah, because he had much of a chance in his 15 IP in 2010. He had as couple bad starts with the which skewed his ERA high.

Games started:
2009:
Minnesota 9/21 5 IP 1ER
Detroit 9/27 6 IP 2ER

2010:
Kansas City 7/11 4IP 5ER
Seattle 7/19 6.2IP 1 ER
Oakland 7/25 5 IP 5ER

I just hate these blanket statements that he could not pitch in the AL or when the pressure was on. He was only 22 when he first came up in 2009. He wasn't given a chance with the Sox, plain and simple....and he was simply dominant in the minors. Nothing in his minor league numbers says that he could not pitch in the AL.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 03-26-2011, 06:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
Yeah, because he had much of a chance in his 15 IP in 2010. He had as couple bad starts with the which skewed his ERA high.

Games started:
2009:
Minnesota 9/21 5 IP 1ER
Detroit 9/27 6 IP 2ER

2010:
Kansas City 7/11 4IP 5ER
Seattle 7/19 6.2IP 1 ER
Oakland 7/25 5 IP 5ER

I just hate these blanket statements that he could not pitch in the AL or when the pressure was on. He was only 22 when he first came up in 2009. He wasn't given a chance with the Sox, plain and simple....and he was simply dominant in the minors. Nothing in his minor league numbers says that he could not pitch in the AL.
He was given a chance, and he didn't do too hot, with exception to the one start in SEA. One thing worth noting, that's the only start with us where he went past 6 innings. You have to be able to go deeper into ballgames, otherwise you're going to wear down the bullpen.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
He was given a chance, and he didn't do too hot, with exception to the one start in SEA. One thing worth noting, that's the only start with us where he went past 6 innings. You have to be able to go deeper into ballgames, otherwise you're going to wear down the bullpen.
You have some pretty stringent requirements for rookie pitchers.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
You have some pretty stringent requirements for rookie pitchers.
When you're in a pennant race, yeah.

Had we started the year with Hudson in our rotation, it would have been a different story. As it stood though, Hudson was brought into the rotation in the middle of a pennant race and really didn't show the team enough to make them confident that they could win the division with him in the rotation.

The irony, of course, is that after the Sox traded for Jackson, who arguably became our best pitcher after joining the team, we still couldn't win the division.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 PM
WSI Guru

I thought I saw yesterday (maybe today) where the Sox picked up another pitcher. Can't remember his name but I think he was in the Royals organization.

Lip
Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I thought I saw yesterday (maybe today) where the Sox picked up another pitcher. Can't remember his name but I think he was in the Royals organization.

Lip
Ugh, not that again.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

This is not a great comparison. Gio hadn't proven anything at the big league level, either, when he was traded. He also struggled in his initial forays in the big leagues. There's almost no question that Hudson is legit. They're both quality big league pitchers.

The ex-Royal the Sox picked up was Gaby Hernandez http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42274693

Anyway, I like the resigning of Dex Carter.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Had we started the year with Hudson in our rotation, it would have been a different story. As it stood though, Hudson was brought into the rotation in the middle of a pennant race and really didn't show the team enough to make them confident that they could win the division with him in the rotation.

The irony, of course, is that after the Sox traded for Jackson, who arguably became our best pitcher after joining the team, we still couldn't win the division.
What the **** are you talking about?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Gio's 1st season with Oakland at age 22(same as Hudson when he came up):
34IP, 1-4 with a 7.68 ERA in 7 starts

The next year in 17 starts: 6-7 with a 5.75 ERA

Do you really think the Sox would have let Gio progress the way Oakland has had the luxury of doing?

Quote:

A rookie is a rookie, whether you bring him up in early July or at the start of the season. You are going to have some inconsistent starts and growing pains. Not every pitcher comes up and is Steven Strausburg or Linceum. As it turned out Hudson just needed more of an adjustment period to the majors....which you saw at almost every level he pitched at, a small adjustment period then domination.

I'm not saying I think Hudson will be what he showed last year with Arizona, I think that's too much to ask. But it looks like he be a good #2/3 starter for years to come and he did not get a chance with the Sox.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesinrk View Post
What the **** are you talking about?
Simply that the reason Hudson was on such a short leash was because the Sox were in the middle of a pennant race and felt more comfortable with an established veteran.